Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

410 Raptor Feedback

teamerickson

Looking for some feedback on the new Ford engines. Specifically sound volume. I know it sounds different then the GMs. Maybe louder, maybe just different. A friend of mine has one and we swear that after about 30 hours it seemed quieter?!?! Are we crazy?

I think it sounds fine. Not to loud.  Just thought it was odd that we were thinking it got quieter and wondering if anybody else had a similar experience.

It seems like a great engine. It really does a better job with torque in the lower RPM range then the GMs. Should be great.

14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I think the key is avoid the torque prop.

Agree with this.   I was running the 2249 and it was louder than my GM motor.  I was starting down the road of the FAE to offset the noise.  Switched to the 2277 and I was a bit shocked how much the noise dropped going from 4,000 RPMs to 3,500.  I knew it would be some but it was very noticeable change for me.  I will probably still do FAE but I may not have considered it as much if I had started with the 2277.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I think it sounds fine. Not to loud.  Just thought it was odd that we were thinking it got quieter and wondering if anybody else had a similar experience.

It seems like a great engine. It really does a better job with torque in the lower RPM range then the GMs. Should be great.

I remember my initial demo last Fall thinking it was louder, but that boat had the torque prop (2249). I ordered the boat anyway as it wasn't a deal breaker... I was just thrilled to not be paying for an engine upgrade!  

Then once I got my boat in the Spring I never remember thinking it was abnormally loud. So either the prop change did the trick or it was the owner's goggles... dunno. I just know I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and probably will! :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, store934 said:

Agree with this.   I was running the 2249 and it was louder than my GM motor.  I was starting down the road of the FAE to offset the noise.  Switched to the 2277 and I was a bit shocked how much the noise dropped going from 4,000 RPMs to 3,500.  I knew it would be some but it was very noticeable change for me.  I will probably still do FAE but I may not have considered it as much if I had started with the 2277.

I even took it a little further. I put on the 2401 prop (15x17.75) and there was a noticable difference in sound. It is much quieter and runs at lower rpm's. It does take a little longer to get on plane, but the 2249 prop put the boat on plane much quicker and that is when it noticed it was the loudest.

22 hours ago, store934 said:

My 450 with the 2249 way louder than my old 555hp. Anxious to pitch up

4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

My 450 with the 2249 way louder than my old 555hp. Anxious to pitch up

I hear that.  I had the same combo as you Hulk and the 1.25:1 ratio with a 2277 was super quiet.  The RPMs stayed low almost all the time and the engine itself is quieter without a doubt.  The exhaust on the other hand was decently loud, but I had the standard flappers.

Edited by tjklein

I have the 410 in my boat and no complaints. We ski, board and surf with no problem. I bought from dealer stock, but if I had ordered, I would have gone bigger,  just because. I now feel it would have been a waste of money. Just wait til gas gets to $5/gal, you'll see everyone crying about their big motors not being necessary, and difficult to sell on used market.  It happens in the car biz also! However, I do know about wasting money on fuel, my other boat is a Formula 353fastec with twin 525 motors. At 85-90 mph it uses a gallon of gas every 40 sec, 90 gal/hr!!!!! Makes for an expensive day on the water, though thrilling. 

• Like 2

my 450 definitely louder than the prior GM engine.  I just ordered a surf pipe.  I really notice when I get in my friend's X30 with a 5.7L and realize how quiet his boat is when we are surfing compared to mine.

3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Post a pic doing 90!

Too busy hanging on!! Going fast on water is not like going fast on land. I can't imagine those boats that go 125+!!!! That would be a wild and scary ride.