Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual Heater Install + Shower Questions

The Hulk

so when i winterize my boat i'm going to have heaters & shower installed: looking for some advise/info

HEATERS

The dealer recommended a 3-port in the front and they will put the tubes however i want them to, and they recommended using a 2-port heater in the back.: My previous boat had two vents on drivers feat and one pull out in the walk way. it was too much heat for me and not enough for everyone else so if i stick with a 3 port in the front i was considering one on the drivers feet blowing down and one pull out near sub woofer and another pull out in the walk way. I'm also considering installing in the pass compartment area near batteries you could have one blowing across the walk way to driver and then have easier route to have dual pull outs near the guests riding along. The ladies LOVE the hot air on those cool summer nights and everyone fights over the heater tube i had in the old boat. 

I recently see that Heatercraft now has a 6-port heater (two 3" ports and Four 2" ports) Sounds kind of nice to spread some heat around the boat with some 2" lines? anyone done this and is this what i catch a glimp of on the Nautique videos with some ports spread around the boat? it looked like thats what they were doing but i couldnt tell exactly. It would be extremly nice if it was easy to run more ports around the boat or perhaps above the cup holders area so when your sitting on the seats you get some warm air in your back side. that way when you throw a towel around yourself your blowing hot air under the towel etc.. 

for the Dual Heater, if the water runs through the (FRONT) 3 or 6 port heater and then through the (REAR) dual port heater, will there be a huge temp loss on the second heater? Obviously with 2 heaters i would assume i'll need the circulation pump. My question is would it be best to install a DOUBLE T on the hot water line off the engine and run both heaters tandem instead of in line with each other? that way they are both pulling same temp hot water off the engine and then Y the returns back on the return again with a second double T? Or would you guys recommend two large 3/6 port heaters instead of one large and one smaller?

the heater in the front would surely have a pump circulating, would one in the back closer to engine need a pump as well if run in tandem? I'm guessing they would both need pumps otherwise the one would rob the pressure from the other one? or perhaps use one pump and "Y" off the front of the pump to each heater? 

SHOWER:

i'm bummed out that Heatercraft no longer has their single-lever-mixer: on my previous boat i found it quite difficult to get the temp setting correct with the dual knob style mixers: I've found a few online for other type of marine showers that have a single knob so i'm considering buying one of those if i can find a way it seems to me a single mixer would be a lot easier/nicer. 

with the new boats having the "back coolers" has anyone on here done a shower install by putting a hose hole in one of the back coolers so you can store the hose and nozzle in there: since the coolers are near worthless "as coolers" i was thinking it would be nice to drill a hole in there and use it to store the shower hose rather than having to open the large hatch> reason being that when the ballast bag fills if the hose is not on top then it will get squeezed between the bag and wall or under the bag etc.. i was thinking if stored in the back cooler and more accessible we might use it more often. so just wondering if anyone has done something similar?  Perhaps a nicer way would be to put a "quick" connect in the cooler rather than just a hole: then you can disconnect if you want easily and dont have a cheesy looking hole. 

interested in ya'lls thoughts and recommendations! 

Hulk,

For my driver vent I moved the vent to the seat base, behind driver calves.

Here is why, when you get out of cold water and have a towel, or it is a cold night and you have a blanket, the current location blocks the heat.  Moving it behind driver calves makes the towel or blanket act as a heat encapsulation device, making the heater that much more effective.

• Like 4

Lots of stuff to talk about there; Malibu's placement of heater vents and showers wasn't optimal in '15 and I don't think it's much better now so you're aftermarket direction is a good path.

I'm personally not a fan of the pull-out heater hose in the walkway (located behind the sub enclosure) as it restricts the space available for an aftermarket sub box and the hose is exposed to "cold" air to get it anywhere useful. I don't ever foresee the heater hose being pulled in to the bow area so relocating the extension makes more sense to me. On the note of heater extension tubes, look in to a Mambe boat blanket with a heater hose hookup: https://mambeblankets.com/collections/outdoor/products/boatrave it's much better than a towel. I called Mambe and they were able to make a "custom" blanket (different color) to match my boat. If I was designing/installing a heater for my 23 LSV I would try to figure out how to put the heater core in the engine compartment and run extensions up the sides to a cupholder or other location near where the tower mounts to the gunnel. Yes, the driver may like some heat but it's also the most protected spot in the boat so get the heat to passengers who might complain and try to make you go in.

The shower is another issue... The shower I have is sucking air from somewhere and I can't get pressure (constant air bubbles) and the hose location & mixer valve location are useless. I've considered relocating the shower handle and mixer in to one of the rear tubs (I can't call them coolers, there's no insulation!) since that would put the handle and mixer in a useful location. The only issue I foresee with relocating the shower parts to a rear tub is the tub becomes permanent; I would leave it in, but it's useful to remove when working on the engine. As to your thoughts on single mixer valve vs. dual knobs: unless you have a different experience the single is also impossible to get your target temperature out of too. The single I have also has some serious issues with hose crimping when you try to attach all three hoses (2 supply, 1 output) to the valve. The output adapter is too large and crimps the input lines; the input lines aren't standard fittings and can't be found anywhere. All that being said, if I was going to put a shower in my boat now (instead of letting the factory do it) I would install it in one of the tubs in the back. If you're interested I can try to take some pictures of the issues with my factory shower install so you can avoid them with your shower install.

3 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Lots of stuff to talk about there; Malibu's placement of heater vents and showers wasn't optimal in '15 and I don't think it's much better now so you're aftermarket direction is a good path.

I'm personally not a fan of the pull-out heater hose in the walkway (located behind the sub enclosure) as it restricts the space available for an aftermarket sub box and the hose is exposed to "cold" air to get it anywhere useful. I don't ever foresee the heater hose being pulled in to the bow area so relocating the extension makes more sense to me. On the note of heater extension tubes, look in to a Mambe boat blanket with a heater hose hookup: https://mambeblankets.com/collections/outdoor/products/boatrave it's much better than a towel. I called Mambe and they were able to make a "custom" blanket (different color) to match my boat. If I was designing/installing a heater for my 23 LSV I would try to figure out how to put the heater core in the engine compartment and run extensions up the sides to a cupholder or other location near where the tower mounts to the gunnel. Yes, the driver may like some heat but it's also the most protected spot in the boat so get the heat to passengers who might complain and try to make you go in.

The shower is another issue... The shower I have is sucking air from somewhere and I can't get pressure (constant air bubbles) and the hose location & mixer valve location are useless. I've considered relocating the shower handle and mixer in to one of the rear tubs (I can't call them coolers, there's no insulation!) since that would put the handle and mixer in a useful location. The only issue I foresee with relocating the shower parts to a rear tub is the tub becomes permanent; I would leave it in, but it's useful to remove when working on the engine. As to your thoughts on single mixer valve vs. dual knobs: unless you have a different experience the single is also impossible to get your target temperature out of too. The single I have also has some serious issues with hose crimping when you try to attach all three hoses (2 supply, 1 output) to the valve. The output adapter is too large and crimps the input lines; the input lines aren't standard fittings and can't be found anywhere. All that being said, if I was going to put a shower in my boat now (instead of letting the factory do it) I would install it in one of the tubs in the back. If you're interested I can try to take some pictures of the issues with my factory shower install so you can avoid them with your shower install.

Thanks for the input: yes i would be interested in pics! i agree i'm not a fan of the shower knob placement: on my last boat it seemed difficult to get the temp right so i figured a single knob would help (could be wrong) just thought it would be one point of adjusting instead of two points of adjusting: such as the photo attached: i figured i could find one of these from some marine website and either mount into the tub somehow> the problem with the rear tubs is the seats do not have gas cylinders to hold them up, it might be easy to add those but then i'd probably have to cut out part of the tub so the tub can be removed: furthermore have some kind of quick connects incase the tub needs removed. Frankly speaking from people getting in and out and storing wet docking lines in the tubs they collect with water so the need dumped out. i've considered running a plastic tube/drain to the bottom of the boat but i'm also anal about keeping under deck of the boat dry so it does not mold/stink up. (Ie every weekend i leave i open up hatches and floor of boat to dry out... if the knob for shower requires lifting the hatch then the placement of shower line in tub is pointless so i think putting it ALL into the tub makes sense.. just need to see about using a gas cylinder to pop it up. would also need a wiring harness quick connect on the pump switch as well.. Do you have a pump on your shower?

i just think accessing the tub on the back would be way easier than crawling up the back to lift the big hatch then only to be reaching around the wrong way and bending way over to reach down in the bottom of the lockers to get the hose. seems so easy if you only had to access it from rear tub. 

Heater: yes i like your idea about putting it in the rear but not sure if there is enough space there or not with the new 6 port heater i need to get some 2" hose and see how i might be able to run those around the boat i think 2" hoses would fit up near cup holders and behind things much easier than the huge 3" stuff. so that should allow more flexibility> i'm just cautious on having the "standard" install which from my experience is not so practical. 

RWB_mixer_tap_set_single__82396.1460689765.jpg

Seeing that picture of the recessed opening for the mixing valve gave me a thought.  (Probably not a very good one.)  But I've been considering a shower on my boat and believe the only place I'd ever use it is standing on the swim platform, right?  Has anyone ever seen a door out the transom that stored the shower head?  I keep thinking about the inconvenience of opening the rear hatch to get at the shower every time and it makes me wonder if I'd really use it.  It'd be great to be standing back there and only have to open a small hatch door and pull out the nozzle with a trigger type on/off switch.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Seeing that picture of the recessed opening for the mixing valve gave me a thought.  (Probably not a very good one.)  But I've been considering a shower on my boat and believe the only place I'd ever use it is standing on the swim platform, right?  Has anyone ever seen a door out the transom that stored the shower head?  I keep thinking about the inconvenience of opening the rear hatch to get at the shower every time and it makes me wonder if I'd really use it.  It'd be great to be standing back there and only have to open a small hatch door and pull out the nozzle with a trigger type on/off switch.

plenty of options but seems like you would be cutting quite a large hole/s

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|51|2234270&id=2234272

i think you would want to put a small switch in the hose outlet hatch as you may not have to mess with the temp all the time... there are single/duals etc.. i would fear such large holes through the boat myself. thus why i'm considering doing this in the TUB...if i mess up i can just get a new tub... i know there is enough to mount it on the Bottom of the tub but i need to see if there is room to mount the recessed box on the side. although i think it would be difficult to pull out, so perhaps bottom is ok or NON recessed may be the way to go: 

Edited by The Hulk

Here is my shower install plans for winter let me know on ideas or feedback

Gas hinged support. Make a quick connect so u can take off easily for removing tub if needed..

rps20161002_222757.jpg

Edited by The Hulk

I like where you're going with that... I would have provided some pictures of the factory install but a sinus infection has kept me off the water this weekend.

What shower sprayer are you considering? The one I have is a "Whale Twist" that is mounted to drop vertically in to the gunnel. You could mount it vertically below where you've drawn the mixer and keep the deep well of the bin empty or available for other shower supplies.

whale-twist.jpg

The pressure on the sprayer sucks, but I doubt it's really the sprayer vs. the pump. I'm sure it's sucking air somewhere and I need to take the whole thing apart this winter to figure out how to get it installed and functioning correctly.

38 minutes ago, mikeo said:

I like where you're going with that... I would have provided some pictures of the factory install but a sinus infection has kept me off the water this weekend.

What shower sprayer are you considering? The one I have is a "Whale Twist" that is mounted to drop vertically in to the gunnel. You could mount it vertically below where you've drawn the mixer and keep the deep well of the bin empty or available for other shower supplies.

whale-twist.jpg

The pressure on the sprayer sucks, but I doubt it's really the sprayer vs. the pump. I'm sure it's sucking air somewhere and I need to take the whole thing apart this winter to figure out how to get it installed and functioning correctly.

I have the same sprayer / shower head on my vtx. Pressure not great either but its just a rinse and warm up when its cold....if you want a real shower stay on the shore........

mine is mounted under the so called "cooler" so you can still use it for storage.

image_zps6vxccr1t.jpg

3 hours ago, AussieSkier said:

I have the same sprayer / shower head on my vtx. Pressure not great either but its just a rinse and warm up when its cold....if you want a real shower stay on the shore........

mine is mounted under the so called "cooler" so you can still use it for storage.

image_zps6vxccr1t.jpg

I haven't seen anyone use a mixer like that is that a standard shower mixer?

What's the white round thing?

On my old boat I had the heater craft nozzle I'll stick to that for now. I remember that it's designed with very tiny holes perhaps what allows more presses build up? But I also had a pump

On 9/29/2016 at 0:59 PM, The Hulk said:

.. i would fear such large holes through the boat myself. thus why i'm considering doing this in the TUB...if i mess up i can just get a new tub...

Yes, unfortunately my boat doesn't have rear seating with tubs like that.  I'd absolutely do the same thing if I were you.

I would look hard at doing electric seat heaters.   I will only do electric seats and blankets from now on.  Had an upholstery shop help and it is awesome.  Got an Obrien Electric blanket for the kids in the bow.  

16 minutes ago, ejj said:

I would look hard at doing electric seat heaters.   I will only do electric seats and blankets from now on.  Had an upholstery shop help and it is awesome.  Got an Obrien Electric blanket for the kids in the bow.  

on passenger seats or around the boat?

frankly i think thats a GREAT idea if each section of the boat had a button, or on the dash you could select Seat Heat View then turn on 6-8 seat heaters around the boat....

20 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

on passenger seats or around the boat?

frankly i think thats a GREAT idea if each section of the boat had a button, or on the dash you could select Seat Heat View then turn on 6-8 seat heaters around the boat....

Are you going to add this to the 150 k wish list :rofl: .... would love that also... my jeep has heated seats and that is the only thing that keeps me warm in winter on my way to work.. it is a diesel and hot starts about time I pull in parking lot..

yes we need that as standard option! i saw a youtube on adding the heater elements under the seats...seems it would be easy enough the problem i would see if you would need to have more than a few switches to control each seat or have one master or a few tied together etc.. would be sweet via the maliview screen though!

38 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

yes we need that as standard option! i saw a youtube on adding the heater elements under the seats...seems it would be easy enough the problem i would see if you would need to have more than a few switches to control each seat or have one master or a few tied together etc.. would be sweet via the maliview screen though!

When I was considering a new 23 lsv order, electric captain and observer seat was an option. You will only be able to get warmers for your back and your buns will not get any. I think it is a better solution than the heater and have been thinking of retrofitting into my boat ;)

Just now, kerpluxal said:

When I was considering a new 23 lsv order, electric captain and observer seat was an option. You will only be able to get warmers for your back and your buns will not get any. I think it is a better solution than the heater and have been thinking of retrofitting into my boat ;)

you mean the captians seat only gets back? is that with power lift seat?

observer only gets back: i get this as the bottom seat is removable so they probably dont want us ripping the wires but i would think a quick connect with enough spare wire would be fine.. 

would be sweat if all seats back/rests including along the gunnel were heated... i think it would be much more effective than hot air as far as keeping folks warm... i think now that the seats are mostly hinged apart from the back corners it should be easier enough (apart from surf seat) 

Just now, The Hulk said:

you mean the captians seat only gets back? is that with power lift seat?

observer only gets back: i get this as the bottom seat is removable so they probably dont want us ripping the wires but i would think a quick connect with enough spare wire would be fine.. 

would be sweat if all seats back/rests including along the gunnel were heated... i think it would be much more effective than hot air as far as keeping folks warm... i think now that the seats are mostly hinged apart from the back corners it should be easier enough (apart from surf seat) 

not sure on the factory option. retrofitting was my statement for backs only... I assume I could keep my butt warm on the captains chair as well, however it is a bolster seat and would require more effort to have it installed (no power seat on my boat).... there could be ways to add it the bottom of all seats with some ingenuity ;) But I think if it is only on my back (biggest surface area on the captains seat) I would be fine :)

Just now, kerpluxal said:

not sure on the factory option. retrofitting was my statement for backs only... I assume I could keep my butt warm on the captains chair as well, however it is a bolster seat and would require more effort to have it installed (no power seat on my boat).... there could be ways to add it the bottom of all seats with some ingenuity ;) But I think if it is only on my back (biggest surface area on the captains seat) I would be fine :)

not sure if it has changed in 2017 but as far as i was told the new power helm seats do NOT currently have factory option for heat, only non power seats... again not sure if that has changed as or recently or not... seems like it would be easy enough but i dont know...

well since we are on the topic: why stop with seats, how about heated floor element built into the carpet, or under the faom seadeck stuff! and why stop there a heated platform would be nice as well!