Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 21 VLX

DirtCity

Anyone demo a 17 21 VLX yet? Wondering about the surf wake given the size and beam.  I am definitely leaning towards a 17 Axis T22, but really like the idea of the Power Wedge.  The electronics don't matter that much to me. I don't mind the gauges / switches, especially if I plan on owning the boat for a while. Not sure there are any that are close to where I live that I could go and demo, yet. Just wondered if others had seen the wake first hand and / or had some other inside knowledge. 

Surf wave was smaller, but clean. We had a newbie go ropeless for a bit.  My wife said it was ok, but lacked the push of the bigger boats.

Bow rise was a big issue with the wedge at full power and the 550 plug in play. I'm not sure how the driver could see, even when he was standing. More bow weight would have helped (I was up there at 180#).

I haven't been behind the 22vlx, but was in your position earlier this year. I was looking to get a 2016 a22, but then had the opportunity to get a leftover 14 22mxz for about the same price. I went with the mxz and couldn't be happier. I think there will be less of a depreciation hit when I go to sell and I definitely got "more" boat for the money. Nothing against the a22, but the power wedge and other extras were what really swayed me.

People will want the boat that is easier to set up to surf. No bags in the cockpit, no manual gates or wedges.   Ease of quality surf is the big thing now. New people don't want to screw around learning this s***. 

• Like 2
On September 29, 2016 at 8:23 PM, gobble said:

I'm struggling with new 2017 21 VLX vs. demo 2015 22 VLX. The 22 VLX is cheaper and probably much more boat.

Go with the 22VLX. It's much more boat and in my opinion surfs much better. 

• Like 2

22VLX for sure.  The 21VLX is a shallow design like the old 21, where all the newer boats are much deeper.

The 21 is a value in some regards, but the wake/wave performance will be significantly less IMO.

I just sat in a new 21VLX. I'm not convinced I like it. It felt smaller and cheap to me, a clear step down from my 13 VLX. I was hoping for that need to buy one feeling  but didn't get it. 

Just checked out the 17 VLX at No Wake on Friday.  I was impressed -  It's no stripper.  

A few things I liked that i think are important:  it's a two piece construction boat vs 3 piece.  Stronger, and avoids the carpet on vertical surfaces below the seats that cover the joints of a 3 piece made boat.  The boat I saw had sea dek floor as an option and looked great.   Secondly, you can get wake or diamond hulls...a diamond on this boat could be the ultimate crossover which is important to me.

It felt just as roomy as my 2005 VLX even though it's 6" shorter.  I liked it a lot!

-- Mike 

It's interesting how people have different takes. To me it felt half Malibu half Boston Whaler. I've ruled out buying one. Plus, dealers are pricing these thing up to $85,000 and for $10,000 more you can have a traditional Malibu. I've found the $79,995 thing not to be reality.

• 4 weeks later...

Would love to order one with a few upgrades and pay the extra charges.  Ladder and a few sparkly metalic paint color accents. Does any body know if this is posible ???

79,995 is absolutely a reality.  If your seeing 85k, I'm assuming that includes freight and prep, and a few upgrades.  Add  Soft grip floor that runs about 1200, add an upgraded Bimini, spare tire, that puts you at about 85k

as of now you can't order with flake

IMG_0033_zpsuys81meg.jpgOrdered one and being built right now. No metallic paint,swim lights or other normal addons from factory( I guess factory is trying to keep prices down close to advertised unlke mastercraft NXT). I'm sure most can be dealer installed. Mine came in at 85k with all the options minus tower speakers (never cared for them). I was impressed with surf wave without ballast. I know some people say 10-15k more and get new vlx 22 or vtx. But I want more true crossover and 10-15k is still a fair amount of money.

Edited by Koeh0083
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess it depends on your dealer. Here's the price clearly marked at AWS in Portland, OR. And this boat has tower speakers and gel upgrades (black hull and top deck). 

Note... I confirmed this price includes freight and prep, and there's no sales tax in Oregon. 

There is no rule that says your dealers HAVE to charge extra for freight and prep.  Malibu's intention was to have it all included and even went so far as charge the dealer a reduced, flat fee for delivery (delivery is based on distance with other models). But so many dealers whined that Malibu caved and ALLOWED them to tack the fees on.  However, by doing so they're just shooting themselves in the foot and defeating the entire value proposition of this boat (i.e. appeal to Moomba, Supreme, and MB buyers).  It's nice to see some dealers get it!   

900512C4-ED8C-44FA-B214-29F7B454E4B2_zps

6D0F6A3D-359C-4AB6-B258-71B93F2E2C56_zps

D28C9139-6B05-4031-86CD-B787263F289D_zps

2CE6F768-AD57-43DF-841F-4A199B27EA9C_zps

On 9/29/2016 at 7:32 AM, DirtCity said:

Anyone demo a 17 21 VLX yet? Wondering about the surf wake given the size and beam.  I am definitely leaning towards a 17 Axis T22, but really like the idea of the Power Wedge.  The electronics don't matter that much to me. I don't mind the gauges / switches, especially if I plan on owning the boat for a while. Not sure there are any that are close to where I live that I could go and demo, yet. Just wondered if others had seen the wake first hand and / or had some other inside knowledge. 

This has always been my one reason for not going with Axis.  The Axis line is now nice enough for me inside and out but not having the pw2 has been the deal killer.  We use the PW all the time.  I could also live without the electronics, they are fun to use but not a requirement imo.  It is nice they have a 5 year warranty now for some peace of mind.

Maybe someday Malibu will offer the Axis with a PW2, but then again they have to keep the brands seperated somehow.

That 21vlx is beautiful, AWS always orders great color schemes on there boats.