Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

4 icons vs 2 rev10's need help deciding

hangdog12a

i need some help from you folks out there. I currently have 4 wetsounds icon 8's on my tower and although I think they sound pretty good, I am missing some of the deeper bass notes that I got with my two pro 485's I had previously. I am debating on going with 2 rev10's. I have heard them and they sound pretty awesome and really have the bass I would like to have. Any opinions. I am also considering the two rev's to give a little extra tower head clearance. Thanks in advance

I can't assure you that you would be making the right move. I think the Wetsounds Icon8 has pretty good midbass for an 8-inch tower speaker and that two pair would be getting the job done. From system to system there can be other factors impacting the final sound other than the speakers. I would look at the entire tower chain to see if there is anything else worth addressing. There is really two ways to get more midbass from the tower speakers. One, is to use a larger 10-inch driver such as the Wetsounds Rev10 or Rev410. Two, is to use a larger pod displacement. The 485 that you mentioned had as a ratio more pod displacement per each driver surface area than any other tower speaker scenario you will find.   

Kinda in the same boat.  Had the chance to experience a  pair of REV 8s over the summer.  Originally ordered the REVs because I thought I would be doing more wakeboarding but as it turns out I pretty much just surfed.  That being said I am now wondering should I keep the same set up or change it up, leaning the set up more towards surfing and hanging out.  So here's my thoughts on options.

1. Keep REV 8s but get rid of RF 500/2 and upgrade.

2. 2 pairs of ICON 8s

3. Pair REV 10s

Thoughts/other ideas??

1 hour ago, ctvandy23 said:

1. Keep REV 8s but get rid of RF 500/2 and upgrade.

For wake range, id say absolutely upgrade. However, at surf/party cove distance, Im not sure a wattage increase is going to be worth the $400 amp investment. Id put the amp upgrade on the back burner, and decide on the speakers first.

1 hour ago, ctvandy23 said:

2. 2 pairs of ICON 8s

Selling the current pods will offsett part if this investment and your current amp will drive them pretty good. So basically just a pod swap and retune the amp with good results.

2 hours ago, ctvandy23 said:

3. Pair REV 10s

What tower do you have? You would also want to upgrade the wattage. Might as well take full advantage of what the upgrade can provide. In my little corner of the world, I probably see about a 10-1 ratio between Rev-10 and 2 pair Icon-8. In those cases, it came down to hang height or bimini clearance. The extra output and mid-bass depth of the Rev-10 usually wins.  

9 minutes ago, MLA said:

For wake range, id say absolutely upgrade. However, at surf/party cove distance, Im not sure a wattage increase is going to be worth the $400 amp investment. Id put the amp upgrade on the back burner, and decide on the speakers first.

Selling the current pods will offsett part if this investment and your current amp will drive them pretty good. So basically just a pod swap and retune the amp with good results.

What tower do you have? You would also want to upgrade the wattage. Might as well take full advantage of what the upgrade can provide. In my little corner of the world, I probably see about a 10-1 ratio between Rev-10 and 2 pair Icon-8. In those cases, it came down to hang height or bimini clearance. The extra output and mid-bass depth of the Rev-10 usually wins.  

@MLAI have the G3.2 tower