Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dumb question... Do I have a heater?

bigshoR1

Rear controls have a "Heater" Button, when I press it the light comes on and its says "High" in the display. Press it again and it says "low".  This is a new to me boat for about 2 months and I cant for the life of me figure out if it has one and where the tube is.  After searching the boat and the forum and probably not very well from lack of experience, I see people talking about heater cores and such and now I'm worried about winterizing cuz I usually do this myself.  I have read the cores are behind the Sub and kickplate but I don't want to start just tearing stuff apart looking, it seems I should be able to find a hose or vent without doing that.  2013 23 LSV, cant hear a blower running or heat coming from anywhere. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

if you have a heater i'd expect to see some air/heat vents  scattered around the boat or at the drivers feet.

HeaterCraft_3_Vent_Heater-2.jpg

also expect you would hear the heater motor running.

Edited by tvano
spec which motor since, some here, call the engine a motor.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input, I was thinking I should hear or see something.  Button on rear controls must just be a default control.  Guess that means I'll have to do some mods that I did find while searching. Thanks again for the help.

My new dealership just winterized my boat and when I got the bill it had an extra $80 charge for winterizing the heater.  I called and said you charged me for winterizing a heater when my boat does not have a heater.  The service manager said he would check and get back to me.  When he called me back, he said my boat has a switch on the dash for a heater so they assumed it had a heater....NO.  Malibu must use standard switch panels for boats that include possible options.  I have 4 or 5 switches that don't do anything because I don't have the options.

My MUX switches have tower and docking lights programmed in from the factory but I do not actually have the lights. Makes for easy integration if you want to add them on yourself/aftermarket. As also mentioned above, I have two vents. One is stationary above the kick panel at the driver's feet and the second is a pull out tube in the walkway, just behind the bow seating (2010 LSV).

If you could take a picture of the front of your engine...the part facing the rear of your boat since you have a v-drive, someone here could tell you if you have the heater plumbing that you would need to be worried about for winterization.

2 hours ago, Eagle River Mike said:

My new dealership just winterized my boat and when I got the bill it had an extra $80 charge for winterizing the heater.  I called and said you charged me for winterizing a heater when my boat does not have a heater.  The service manager said he would check and get back to me.  When he called me back, he said my boat has a switch on the dash for a heater so they assumed it had a heater....NO.  Malibu must use standard switch panels for boats that include possible options.  I have 4 or 5 switches that don't do anything because I don't have the options.

OMG.... LMAO... sorry at your expense... so to me that means they did not do the extra work of winterizing the heater for the extra $$$... cuz if they did winterize the heater that associated the extra cost. they would have known it had one... wow... I would call them out on that

Edited by kerpluxal
1 hour ago, abattle10 said:

My MUX switches have tower and docking lights programmed in from the factory but I do not actually have the lights. Makes for easy integration if you want to add them on yourself/aftermarket. As also mentioned above, I have two vents. One is stationary above the kick panel at the driver's feet and the second is a pull out tube in the walkway, just behind the bow seating (2010 LSV).

Not just for aftermarket, but easy integration when boat is ordered with different options, that way they don't have to stock different switches for multiple different platforms, one switch covers all ;)

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Badger said:

If the boat is in Highland, I could stop by one day and figure it out pretty quickly.  You might even be next door neighbors to @ahopkinsTXi who could do the same.

For sure. Judging by the OP's profile picture I think we are on the same lake.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, Eagle River Mike said:

How much are you paying to winterize your boat?  It's a pretty easy DIY.  If they are charging $80 for a heater I hate to see what coals they are raking over you for the rest of the process. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:00 AM, Nitrousbird said:

How much are you paying to winterize your boat?  It's a pretty easy DIY.  If they are charging $80 for a heater I hate to see what coals they are raking over you for the rest of the process. 

It was about $300 and includes oil change, transmission fluid change and a couple of other things.  I dont mind paying to make sure its done correctly.  Plus by the time I get done winterizing pontoon and jet ski (including oil change, gear lube and jet pump oil) I am pretty done with all I want to do  :)

7 hours ago, Eagle River Mike said:

It was about $300 and includes oil change, transmission fluid change and a couple of other things.  I dont mind paying to make sure its done correctly.  Plus by the time I get done winterizing pontoon and jet ski (including oil change, gear lube and jet pump oil) I am pretty done with all I want to do  :)

I question "done correctly."  Every spring you will see threads pop up here about incorrect winterizing procedures done by shop xyz.  IMO, any half a** DIYer will do a better job than your average shop, who is trying to pump these highly profitable items through as quickly as possible.   

• 2 months later...

Hey guys so I havent been on here since this post, and was getting on here to thank ahopkinsTXi for pulling me and the family in the 25 LSV this past weekend at the Polar Bear Ski.  Water was a balmy 40 degres F, and the air was around 36.  Thanks for the extra responses to my heater question I did find out that it does not have one :(.  But ahopkinsTXi was a champ out there being very patient with all the drysuit swaps and such, we were out for that final session for over an hour and a half.  Turns out we do live near each other and he pulled us in that same 25 LSV mid summer that made us go out and buy our 23 LSV that i posted about in the OP.  Its a small world. Thanks again.

• Like 2