Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with 2016 VTX surf wave

Kinloch

Hi,

I have recently just installed wake makers 700lbs custom bags into the rear locker of my 2016 vtx. 

here is the before pic - full factory ballast wedge in the middle three people in the boat

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/Kinloch11/media/before_zpspcwcnsle.jpg.html?filters[user]=144956907&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

here is the after pic -

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/Kinloch11/media/after_zps84qe7cyt.jpg.html?filters[user]=144956907&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

The after pic is taken full ballast full sacks with two people in the boat.  Wedge two clicks from full lift.  We have not tried surfing yet with the rear sacks, the water is still a touch cold in NZ.

any suggestions on how to make the wave better would be great

First, drive the boat straight.  In both of those pictures the wake is affected by the boat's turning.  

Second, you don't want the wedge anywhere near lift.  You want to be 1, 2, or 3 from max wedge.  I've been at 2 mostly and the wake is way way better looking than that.  In fact I don't even have any rear PNP and its on par with my old T22 with 750s, and there was nothing wrong with that wave at all.  Use the wedge more instead of counteracting the weight you're putting in.  

24 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

First, drive the boat straight.  In both of those pictures the wake is affected by the boat's turning.  

Second, you don't want the wedge anywhere near lift.  You want to be 1, 2, or 3 from max wedge.  I've been at 2 mostly and the wake is way way better looking than that.  In fact I don't even have any rear PNP and its on par with my old T22 with 750s, and there was nothing wrong with that wave at all.  Use the wedge more instead of counteracting the weight you're putting in.  

Hey 85 off topic but did you ever switch out your prop and did it help your ski wake?

Just now, Chrisjjbrown said:

Hey 85 off topic but did you ever switch out your prop and did it help your ski wake?

unfortunately not yet.  No time.  Still sitting at a solid 9 hours on my boat.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot

With the 700's you need lots of front weight. I run the V-style bow sac (think its round 650 lbs?) plus 200lbs of lead. Keep wedge fully deployed or 1-2 clicks up max. 10.8 mph. With additional crew let some rear weight out.

I have a '14 VTX so the hull is different, but for me to get the cleanest surf wave I run one or two clicks up on the wedge and I fill the port side ballast 100% and only do 50-75% on the starboard (if surfing regular). Not sure how many other guys slightly list their boats but I find it helps. I could be wrong, but to me there is too much water rushing over the starboard gate if I fully weight the rear evenly. The slight list seems to help. 

Agreed /\ /\ /\........in my 2014 I have 750's in the rear, list slightly to the surf side.  With extra people in the boat we end up with a better wave when the wedge is all the way down, but with only a driver and rider we do two clicks up, and it's fantastic.