Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power-Plus “V” Drive transmission?

Claire1000

Anyone know if the A22 has the  Power-Plus “V” Drive transmission? I'm trying to figure out if I should service it or not based on the owners manual. 

(C) All Challenger Power-Plus “V” Drive transmissions are designed to be ‘Maintenance Free’. Inspect fluid level after the fi rst 25 hours of use and annually thereafter. Fluid should only be changed if evidence of contamination is present. Use Mobiltrans SHC 50 synthetic transmission lubricant. Crusader Challenger P/N: R190250

I am not near my boat so can't stick my head under there and see what it says. 

Claire, the PCM/Challenger manual is confusing in this regard.  There are actually two components to the PCM "transmission": the tranny itself (which does require periodic fluid changes) and the vdrive (the "Power Plus V Drive Transmission") which is maintenance free (at least in the near term).  

If you look at the transmission you should see a big yellow dipstick on the right (as you are kneeling from the boat and peeking in there).  That's the transmission, and yes, the fluid should be changed in the transmission.  The vdrive will be closer to you and doesn't have a traditional dipstick (the fluid is accessed through a bolt that is painted over).

So helpful! Thank you. Now I see how I'm supposed to read that. So change tranny fluid at 25 and once a year and drive is maint free. 

For historical reference- it is a power plus setup. It says right on there on a big green sticker right under the hatch.