Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cooler fit

Claire1000

Just now, Claire1000 said:

Just got the cooler for my 16 A22 (it was missing). The fit seems terrible. You can't open the lid without removing the cooler from the indent. Is this correct? Any solutions? 

Soft side, I use an AO when me and wife only,and the axis soft as well on higher shelf by pnp with AO in deep part when we need a lot of refrigeration, then its just a zipper after you flip cushion

• Like 1

I have a 48 can AO cooler for my 2016 23 lsv, but I don't like the design. Since it opens straight down the middle, it is difficult to find what you are looking for. Everyone complains that they can't find anything unless it is opened up fully. Unzipping it completely is a problem when under the seat. We are going to put the igloo cooler back in even though we have to move the seat cushions to open it.

4 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Is it right that I can't open my axis igloo without pulling it out? Or do I have the wrong cooler maybe?

Axis was soft side till at least 15', the axis cooler is very easy to use when in the hold or on the pnp shelf, but terrible to handle and tote when full, AO very easy to lower into and raise out of hole by handles to start snd end day, once in boat wife can handle easily 

7 hours ago, Claire1000 said:

Just got the cooler for my 16 A22 (it was missing). The fit seems terrible. You can't open the lid without removing the cooler from the indent. Is this correct? Any solutions? 

My '15 23 LSV was the same. I had my dealer flip the mounting point for the gas strut 180* before I took delivery and it moved the strut far enough over that it wasn't (too much) of a problem any more. It seems like the template, or lack thereof, in the factory is just a bit off for a bunch of items that require clearance or drilling holes. You might get frustrated if you measure distance to the feet of your tower from a common point...

12 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have a 48 can AO cooler for my 2016 23 lsv, but I don't like the design. Since it opens straight down the middle, it is difficult to find what you are looking for. Everyone complains that they can't find anything unless it is opened up fully. Unzipping it completely is a problem when under the seat. We are going to put the igloo cooler back in even though we have to move the seat cushions to open it.

If you unclip the side tightening straps you may find it easier and we stand the drinks up and poor ice on top so we can see the tops of bottles 

14 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

AO 48 is perfect. 36 works well too. 

And  the price of AO compared to yeti, $70 vs $350, never would have bought AO except left my original axis cooler on ground at launch under tree where setting up, launched came back in 15 or less, gone! Thx illegal immigrants everywhere at the recreation area that day!!

Love the look of the axis logo looking up out of hold so I had to replace but bought the AO in the meantime and it's better for toting, ,but you can really stuff the axis cooler and easy to find drinks , just pitiful to tote or take in snd out(not that it can't be done by handles, it's just that eventually if you do it by handles the way it flops and you don't support the bottom, eventually it's going to damage it if it's full and wet coming in and out).   it gets wet even when no tears inside, so you can't just bring it inside at night without emptying it, AO can come in and kept its water and ice sitting on counter with little or no moisture underneath

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2

$90 for 3 is the best deal I've seen on the AO's! I already had the 48 but the 36 will come in handy for waters and kids drinks on the other side. Now I have 4!

I used to buy the cheap Costco softsided coolers but these are so much better. I load the crap out of it and so far its survived the first season.:biggrin:

I also unclip the sides for easier access. 

http://www.westmarine.com/outlet/buy/ao-coolers--stacking-coolers-three-pack--16696718?recordNum=48

On September 27, 2016 at 0:20 AM, granddaddy55 said:

Axis was soft side till at least 15', the axis cooler is very easy to use when in the hold or on the pnp shelf, but terrible to handle and tote when full, AO very easy to lower into and raise out of hole by handles to start snd end day, once in boat wife can handle easily 

The A24 was a hard cooler in 2014 went it was released. 

I use a $16.50 Coleman 45qt cooler in my A24. It completely fills the recessed area and no issues opening the lid with just the one cushion removed. The factory 36qt had a lot more extra room in the recessed area so after months of online searching for cooler specs that would fit better and have more capacity the Coleman 45qt was the best choice and for $40, then 1/2 price sale, and finally end of summer sale was $16.50. It's available at most Dicks Sporting Goods in stock. 

• 7 months later...

I had a '15 A22 if you put the cooler in backwards so the cover opens toward you vs the outside of the boat it will open.  Or do what I finally did and remove the hinges so the top of the cooler just lays on top.

The Axis cooler is total crap. My 16 A22 wouldn't fit right either. Shame on Malibu for selling people an overpriced cooler that doesn't fit.

• 3 years later...

Not sure if it fits in the A22, but the RTIC soft pack 40 fits perfect under the seat in the A24. I put 20 lbs of ice and 40 canned beverages in on Saturday morning.  Restocked the drinks on Sunday morning.  Still had ice left over Sunday night. Was only 85 degrees both days, but the cooler appears to perform well. 

We use a separate cooler for the kids drinks and water. 

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/coolers/softpak/Soft-Pack-40-Grey

FWIW, we put a hard Yeti Tundra 45 between the dual consoles of our 2020 A22, and it fits very well, and is out of the way for the most part. The Tundra 35 fits pretty nicely as well, but we prefer the larger interior of the 45 for groups of more than 4.

Edited by LitiGator