Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Am I missing a Cap or plug on my hull inlet? Pics attached.

Pulled the plug yesterday and there was a very large amount of water that came out. Way more than usual. Thought it was the shaft seal. Looks fine. I crawled under the boat and looked at the two inlets under the ski locker. The inlet on the port side looks like it's missing a cap/cover. Is this normal. Maybe I just haven t noticed. Boat is a 2002 VLX. Any info helps, thanks! Pics attached. 

That's under your boat?  Do you have a picture of the starboard inlet you referred to? 

One thing is for sure... a true open hole that big will sink you in a matter of minutes, and that takes into account what a bilge pump will remove.  What is on the 'other side' of that inlet?  Any plug will be inside the ski locker, not hanging from the bottom like a plug on the transom.  You sure it's an inlet...not a drain?

Edited by RTS
19 hours ago, Bosstic said:

Pulled the plug yesterday and there was a very large amount of water that came out. Way more than usual. Thought it was the shaft seal. Looks fine. I crawled under the boat and looked at the two inlets under the ski locker. The inlet on the port side looks like it's missing a cap/cover. Is this normal. Maybe I just haven t noticed. Boat is a 2002 VLX. Any info helps, thanks! Pics attached. 

There would not be a cap or cover on the outside of the hull.  What's on the other end of that hole in your pic?

Have you looked at the prop shaft when underway?  Checked all the cooling hose connections with the engine running?  See if same thing happens with ballast inlet valves closed?

I thought it was the inlet for my center ballast, but still had to ask around. I think it is. Next time out, definently going to pop engine cover and keep an eye on shaft seal, water pump, cooling lines etc. 

What kind of connections are on your ballast bag?

my 2001 vlx mls bag had the blue waterbed style hose fitting and those are prone to leaking if not secured properly or if the bag was overfilled putting pressure on the fittings