Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3.2 spinner rack won't swivel

gahvey

I hope someone has an answer for this - I just picked up a new to me 2015 VLX with the G3.2 tower and I have one spinner rack that I cannot get the pin to pull up to allow it to swivel.  I just sprayed some penetrating oil on there but in the meantime I thought I would reach out to see if anyone had run into this before and if there was a fix for it.

Also - how do you remove the racks - do you have to spin them first or can you just pull them off without spinning them?

Thanks
Jeff

To remove them you loosen the allen set screw and slide them back, doesn't matter what position they are in.  If they have not been off much they stick like crazy.

As for the stuck pin. Take rack off and remove the pivot bolt. Take the rack apart to clean and lube.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

Thanks Chuck - you always have the answers :-).

What is the trick to removing the pivot bolt?  I can twist off the top but that doesn't pull the bolt off.

Also - you have the G 3.2 tower too.  I have one of the clamps on the side of the tower that I can't get loose (same side as the rack that I am having problems with)...any trick to loosening that?

Thanks!

14 hours ago, gahvey said:

it is the release pin.  I was able to get the two allen headed screws out but the pull up pin is still very hard to pull up

OK, took a look at mine.  did you also remove the forks?  Basically I think you want to take the rack apart completely so that you can just deal with the mounting bar and release pin.  Then you should be able remove the knob on the pin and drop the pin and spring out the bottom so that you can clean and lube it all.

Edited by oldjeep

ok - so next question is how do you remove the forks?  I have the 2 screws from the forks removed but I can't seem to pull them apart.  Guessing I can use force but don't want to damage something.

2? Should be 4 unless they have changed significantly since 2012. I'm nearby if you want someone else to hit them with the rubber mallet;). Oh and I'm sorry for what starts to happen tomorrow. Glad I don't live over there. (Ryder cup madness)

Thanks Chuck - I will play with it.  

Hopefully the cup madness won't be too bad....You can't park over this way anyway so hopefully there won't be much traffic other than the buses....We will see.

Boat should be covered under warranty, take it to your dealer and have them swap out the rack.  You should not be having any problems with a new rack and the last thing you want is one to break loose on the water swinging boards around in the boat.

Edit: hopefully you got the warranty transferred.

Edited by Fman
On 9/25/2016 at 6:34 PM, oldjeep said:

To remove them you loosen the allen set screw and slide them back, doesn't matter what position they are in.  If they have not been off much they stick like crazy.

As for the stuck pin. Take rack off and remove the pivot bolt. Take the rack apart to clean and lube.

What do you suggest to lubricate after cleaning?

8 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

What do you suggest to lubricate after cleaning?

I'd use a dry lubricant on the pin so that it doesn't pick up so much dirt.  For the slide bracket it was suggested to me to use something like canning wax and I used some hard bar wax that worked very well.

I think I am going to go the warranty route.  I did do the transfer but not sure how long that paperwork takes to go through.  I will connect with the dealer and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the help all!

3 hours ago, gahvey said:

I think I am going to go the warranty route.  I did do the transfer but not sure how long that paperwork takes to go through.  I will connect with the dealer and see what they can do for me.

Thanks for the help all!

File it now 

if not processsd it can be sent to Malibu and be in tact within a couple hours

While you are at it, double check all your rear seat piping for tearing/seperation.  Every malibu I have owned I have had problems with those three rear seats. They take a lot of beating from people stepping down on them.  Once they replace them with new skins the problem seems to be taken care of long term.  Something you want to get handled under warranty.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

File it now 

if not processsd it can be sent to Malibu and be in tact within a couple hours

Thanks - I talked to the dealer and they said just bring it in with the hull number and they can check the warranty status.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, gahvey said:

Thanks - I talked to the dealer and they said just bring it in with the hull number and they can check the warranty status.

Good thing you can just bring the rack over there.  I'll bet the service center is pretty packed right about now, have to be getting close to the freeze deadline for leaving boats out at the service center.

3 hours ago, Fman said:

While you are at it, double check all your rear seat piping for tearing/seperation.  Every malibu I have owned I have had problems with those three rear seats. They take a lot of beating from people stepping down on them.  Once they replace them with new skins the problem seems to be taken care of long term.  Something you want to get handled under warranty.

The middle rear seat in my LSV needs the Sean take apart and put back together for this reason on the back side of the piping. Will drop it off in a couple weeks to get this done.

How did you get on with this Gahvey? Ive just realised i have the same problem. I have been able to remove the rack off the boat but cant seem to remove anything else.... Was there a trick to removing the pivoting screws? Any help is appreciated.

I am going to take the rack in for warranty repair.  I could not get the pin to move freely and since it was under warranty I didn't want to cause damage.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

Anybody know where I can get the pins for the swivel.racks.im talking about the one you pull up to swivel. I was able.to.get mine out but I tried bending it back and it snapped. 

1 hour ago, Longoria80 said:

Anybody know where I can get the pins for the swivel.racks.im talking about the one you pull up to swivel. I was able.to.get mine out but I tried bending it back and it snapped. 

I'll be you have to make one.  Malibu couldn't even get replacement forks for the racks when I bent one.