Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 20vtx winterization

klingsdesigns

What motor is in that?  Is it the Ford?  If so, the heater uses antifreeze and you don’t have to winterize it.  I couldn’t recall if the VTX went Ford that year or not.  

14 hours ago, hethj7 said:

What motor is in that?  Is it the Ford?  If so, the heater uses antifreeze and you don’t have to winterize it.  I couldn’t recall if the VTX went Ford that year or not.  

It is the 410 ford.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s a 50/50 on to use antifreeze or not. Some people say to use others say not and if you drain correctly with the labeled plugs you should be good. 

Also i always make sure the seats are conditioned and everything is dry and not going to mold over the winter. Leaving the cover on to protect from dust.

• 3 years later...

With the 2016 vtx half closed system, when you are filling with antifreeze (I hook a hose to the top of the sea strainer and use a tsunami pump from a tub under the exhaust) do you need to run it to a certain temp to open thermostat. I ran it until 150, then turned off. Right after turning off temp said 167. 410 monsoon engine. 

57 minutes ago, 2016VTX said:

With the 2016 vtx half closed system, when you are filling with antifreeze (I hook a hose to the top of the sea strainer and use a tsunami pump from a tub under the exhaust) do you need to run it to a certain temp to open thermostat. I ran it until 150, then turned off. Right after turning off temp said 167. 410 monsoon engine. 

Half closed means you have coolant in the engine.  Dump the raw water side and call it good.  The thermostat is not involved in that side of the system.

By the way, you should change your coolant every three to five years to maintain the rust prevention in the engine.

14 hours ago, justgary said:

Half closed means you have coolant in the engine.  Dump the raw water side and call it good.  The thermostat is not involved in that side of the system.

By the way, you should change your coolant every three to five years to maintain the rust prevention in the engine.

Thanks for the info on changing the antifreeze side. 
I can get to only 2 of the drain plugs easily, so I put in antifreeze. I just want to make sure antifreeze is everywhere raw water was including the heat exchanger without hitting a certain temp on the engine  

18 minutes ago, 2016VTX said:

Thanks for the info on changing the antifreeze side. 
I can get to only 2 of the drain plugs easily, so I put in antifreeze. I just want to make sure antifreeze is everywhere raw water was including the heat exchanger without hitting a certain temp on the engine  

I would worry more about getting all the drains open as the manufacturer suggests than about putting antifreeze in the raw water side.

It may be a good idea to pull the end cap from the exchanger to inspect the tubes and make sure it is empty.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

I would worry more about getting all the drains open as the manufacturer suggests than about putting antifreeze in the raw water side.

It may be a good idea to pull the end cap from the exchanger to inspect the tubes and make sure it is empty.

Where is the exchanger? TIA.

My dealer does antifreeze for winterization. Had a mobile mechanic do it in my driveway exactly like I did but didn’t bother with draining the two plugs I could get to (on the hose port of engine/vdrive near bottom of compartment and back starboard side of engine).  He ran the heater just like I did too. I just never checked what temp he went up to. I ran it for at least 10 minutes recirculating -50f antifreeze. 

The exchanger is the big tube with a radiator cap on it.

Your heater should have coolant in it also, so no need to circulate that either.

Post a few photos of your drain plugs and exchanger.

21 minutes ago, justgary said:

The exchanger is the big tube with a radiator cap on it.

Your heater should have coolant in it also, so no need to circulate that either.

Post a few photos of your drain plugs and exchanger.

The heat exchanger appears empty if I have identified it correctly. The two plugs are the other photos. 

1 minute ago, 2016VTX said:

The heat exchanger appears empty if I have identified it correctly. The two plugs are the other photos. 

Ok. I can’t seem to cut and paste photoes

is this the reservoir?  0?ui=2&ik=baba235cd7&attid=0.0&permmsgid

0?ui=2&ik=baba235cd7&attid=0.1&permmsgidone plug I drained

0?ui=2&ik=baba235cd7&attid=0.2&permmsgid second plug I drained

Looks like exchanger is block posterior to engine?  Didnt see a radiator cap looking thing on top

Based on my read of the manual, the second plug I pulled was for the heat echanger, which didn't yield any water, the cross over hose drain I pulled first and did yield water.  

On 10/24/2021 at 11:50 AM, 2016VTX said:

Based on my read of the manual, the second plug I pulled was for the heat echanger, which didn't yield any water, the cross over hose drain I pulled first and did yield water.  

I have the same boat and this was my first year winterizing (little nerve racking) and for me there was only two blue plugs, one (1 of 5) in front near the v drive and a ton of water came out and the second (4 of 5) blue plug was on the bottom of the heat exchanger and it didn’t seem to have much water at all.  I did run rv antifreeze through the raw water side and drained it. I couldn’t access the transmission plug (3 of 5) so I just disconnected the hose and put a leaf blower on it to make sure it was dry. I may have sprayed my wife in the face making sure air was coming out the impeller. Seems pretty straight forward or should I say I hope it is and now it’s getting cold here.