Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 20vtx winterization

klingsdesigns

First time winterizing a inboard boat.

Found the 5 blue stickers to do during winterization.

What oil can i use for the 5-30. I seen i can get it on bakesonline for $75 and $12 for filter.

For the two other oils on the vdrive. what is indmar 872020-1 red and indmar 872022-1 yellow.

Any other tips.  Think i got the ballast figured out for winterization.  We are also doing heated storage.

14434888_10154047947240939_2098594550275

Edited by klingsdesigns
6 minutes ago, klingsdesigns said:

Anyone know what oils on the vdrive. What is indmar 872020-1 red and indmar 872022-1 yellow.

FOUND IT!!

Transmission Fluid Shifting Portion – Red Dipstick End
Automatic Transmission Fluid Dexron III or higher.  Approx. 2.3 quarts (use dipstick).
Indmar P/N 872020

Transmission Oil V-drive Portion – Yellow Dipstick
Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50. Approx. 1.25 quarts (use dipstick).
Indmar P/N 872022

Where does everyone get their oils from? I found bakesonline.

Listed below is what I think I all need besides rv/marine antifreeze.

Indmar ATF Dextron Mercron Transmission Oil Quart

$9.99$29.97 

Indmar Synthetic ATF Transmission Oil Quart

$13.99$27.98 

Indmar 501022 Oil Filter Cartridge for 6.2L Ford Engines

$11.99$11.99 

Indmar 5W30 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil 7 Quart

$74.99$74.99 

Johnson 09-812B Indmar F6B Pump Neoprene Impeller Service Kit

$29.99$29.99 

Indmar 5W30 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil Quart

$11.99$11.99 

I would go 5W30 full synthetic (Mobile1) from Walmart for ~$22 per 5 qt jug.  I got my other fluids from Bakes.

You don't really need the RV antifreeze for the motor.  Mine has clearly marked points to drain.  Couldn't be easier.  

I guess a little RV antifreeze in the ballast vents for good measure wouldn't hurt.

5 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

I would go 5W30 full synthetic (Mobile1) from Walmart for ~$22 per 5 qt jug.  I got my other fluids from Bakes.

You don't really need the RV antifreeze for the motor.  Mine has clearly marked points to drain.  Couldn't be easier.  

I guess a little RV antifreeze in the ballast vents for good measure wouldn't hurt.

Are you just putting the boat at an incline and then draining the ballasts and then putting in rv into the vents?  Not sucking any rv from the bottom and then draining?

15 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Do you do anything with your heater? Is it ran by the coolant and not water?

10 hours ago, klingsdesigns said:

Any other tips you got. We don't have fleet farm but do have farm and fleet I can check that place out. 

Same oil, different name.

I haven't winterized a closed system before, if you don't have the manuals. 

This filter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solid build, identifcal to the volvo one that Bakes will send you.  $6.49   (I like bakes but you can't beat the convenience of amazon)

This oil - https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120764-Synthetic-Motor-5W-30/dp/B00I4E91GI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475014370&sr=1-1&keywords=5w30+synthetic+motor+oil

Amazon has caught up with Walmart  (I could care less about walmart)

• Like 1
On 9/27/2016 at 5:17 PM, pauley71 said:

This filter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DRHMQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solid build, identifcal to the volvo one that Bakes will send you.  $6.49   (I like bakes but you can't beat the convenience of amazon)

This oil - https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120764-Synthetic-Motor-5W-30/dp/B00I4E91GI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1475014370&sr=1-1&keywords=5w30+synthetic+motor+oil

Amazon has caught up with Walmart  (I could care less about walmart)

any substitutes for the tran oil and the vdrive oil?

On 9/26/2016 at 7:42 PM, footndale said:

@klingsdesigns Go to Fleet Farm and get the oil there. The resolve brand is Citgo oil. Save you money and purchase it. They also sell the transmission fluid in their brand. Get an Oil Filter from Napa.   

Whats the number for the napa filter. Tried to get one there and they have no clue.

4 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

90k? Boat, save $5 on filter and reuse .25 o-ring that keeps your 9k engine from going boom. 

Lol, didn't know it didn't have a new ring until I was changing the filter the night before Wake the World so I reused. O-ring was perfectly fine and engine hasn't gone boom.  Guess I should have told OP to pick one up separately instead of reuse. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I tried my best to winterize it today till it got dark out.

2016 indmar 410

Filled up gas tank full of gas. Put in stabilizer.

Ran motor with fake a lake for 15 mins.

Changed oil and filter.

I removed plastic drain plug from heat ex-changer.

Removed water flow sensor since i couldn't find drain plug for transmission cooler.

Removed drain plug on cross over hose.

Removed drain plug/anode.

Each one of these things had a blue sticker. The last blue sticker was on the Impeller. (not sure why the sticker is on. Going to replace next season)

Also going to change the Indmar V oils next season as well.

Am I missing anything else for draining?

The heater runs off of coolent.

Should I put antifreeze into motor?  If so, how. I cant get it to work with the fake a lake.

I put boat on a slope and drained out all the ballast. Is there a tip on how to get antifreeze into the ballasts?

I found on the two rear ones i have plug and play. I could just fill it through that.  But not sure on the two front ones.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I really like to learn the correct way to do things.

Still have to run the fogging through the spark plugs.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Edited by klingsdesigns

Winterizing 2016 VTX was simple enough but I had trouble locating and reaching the 3rd of 5 fresh water drain points for winterizing - it is low on the starboard side of the engine, to reach it I had to remove the back starboard engine side panel and the rear floor panel to get my arm and a socket wrench around to the drain plug bolt.

Here are some details for oil change on this boat/engine...

Oil change on my 2016VTX with Monsoon 410 Raptor 6.2L

Draining oil -

1) Unhook oil drain hose from top of engine (rear starboard side)

2) remove the through hull paddlewheel speed sensor (easy hand twist off fitting) and drop the oil drain hose through hole

-the oil drain hose sump fitting points to the stern so do not pull the hose too tight forward or it will collapse the hose and block the oil draining out.

3) Run engine to warm engine up to temp

4) remove oil fill cap

5) remove drain hose cap and drain oil into a catch pan

6) replace drain cap

Changing oil filter - 

1) the 410's cartridge filter was hard to loosen (it has a clockwise arrow on the top - that is to tighten it back up) counterclockwise loosens it.

2) I tried a regular wrench to loosen the cap, but the whole cartridge filter assembly was rotating and the cap was not releasing.

- I  purchased a pair of strap wrenches (plastic handle with strong rubber strap- Sears has them on sale currently $7.99 for 2  :-)  Sears Model # 45570 )  used one on the cartridge body at the top and one on the cap and it open like a charm.

3) Remove cap and filter (lean it towards bow whilst raising it out)

4) Remove filter from cap - it takes a strong pull to remove it from the cap.

5) I had purchased my replacement filter from Amazon - MANN HU719/8x it included a new replacement O ring for the cap.          ($6.49 Mann-Filter HU 719/8 X Metal-Free Oil Filter)

6) Fit new filter onto the cap and push it hard until it clicks in

7) re-fill engine oil - 7-8 quarts (I used Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30) - need a long or angled filler funnel to reach 

8) add some oil into cartridge housing

9) reassemble filter cap etc.

Hope this is helpful

regards

Al

Edited by aliscott
  • Like 3
  • 11 months later...

Hello klingsdesigns! 

I bought a 2016 20 VTX this year and was reading your last post.. Did you end up doing anything else to winterize the boat? How did you finish up the ballasts? Did you run antifreeze through them?

Season depending I'll be winterizing the boat next week. Any tips\advise would be great that's not already mentioned here! 

Thanks for the help!!

• 11 months later...

Any other good tips on winterizing this boat?  Planning on putting it away in the next two weeks.  I have had people tell me I have to winterize the heater but i swear i checked one year and i took a hose off and it was coolant.  I did have my dealer tell my that i didnt do my ballast right last year since i had 3 duck bills fail after winter in my autovents for ballast.

• 2 weeks later...