Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Malibu PnP?

Fman

I've only used it on a few demos. I thought it seemed slow. The bags were flyhigh. I went with the wakemakers because they have a larger fitting hole. I'm hoping that will speed it up. 

The vent line being included is a nice touch. Now I don't have to do it myself! :thumbup:

Edited by teamerickson
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I've only used it on a few demos. I thought it seemed slow. The bags were flyhigh. I went with the wakemakers because they have a larger fitting hole. I'm hoping that will speed it up. 

The vent line being included is a nice touch. Now I don't have to do it myself! :thumbup:

There's a vent line now?  Awesome!  Didn't have that in my '16. Honestly that was my only complaint. 

• Like 1

I need to check mine (2016) when I get back. When I fill the rear I always burb the bags but on my last trip out I forgot to turn off the pumps for a min after burping and noticed they were then shooting water out the side of the boat. So does this mean they are vented? And if so do i still need to burp or not?

If you need to burp the bags they are not vented.  There would be a line on top of the bag going to a thru hull out the side of the boat.  The vent line acts as a overfill when bags fill to capacity to release all the air out the bags.

• Like 1

On the two demos I've been on I've noticed that if you don't burb the bags, eventually water will come out the vent from the hard tank. Even if the bags aren't full. I think the pressure gets to a point it starts to over flow. A vent incorporated onto the bag would solve that. 

Edited by teamerickson
  • Like 1

Would be simple to add a vent line with a check valve.  I am strongly considering trying the pnp this time over the Johnson pumps.  Definitely will plumb one pump for front bow bag, that is a must.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, teamerickson said:

On the two demos I've been on I've noticed that if you don't burb the bags, eventually water will come out the vent from the hard tank. Even if the bags aren't full. I think the pressure gets to a point it starts to over flow. A vent incorporated onto the bag would solve that. 

This has to be what's happening then. I m assuming if I don't burp the pressure from air would build up and still spill out but not be full of water .. I'm questioning adding another fill hole and another drain hole and a vent hole.. but that's another 6 holes in the boat...ouch..

3 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

This has to be what's happening then. I m assuming if I don't burp the pressure from air would build up and still spill out but not be full of water .. I'm questioning adding another fill hole and another drain hole and a vent hole.. but that's another 6 holes in the boat...ouch..

Why 6 holes? Just Y into the hard tank vent line for the bag?  

• Like 2
Just now, The Hulk said:

Good idea 

Make sure you Y into the hard tank vent line high up in the front of the locker. You don't want to lose water with bow rise. It should be pretty simple. Y fitting, ~2.5 feet of hose, then the fittings for the bag. 

• Like 2

Fman, I had reversibles in my MB for several years, and the last two years I've used the Malibu (2014) and Axis (2016) PNP.  

If having a gallon or two of water left in your bags is going to drive you nuts, don't get PNP.

If manually venting air from time to time is going to drive you nuts, don't get PNP.

I've personally found those items to be "no biggie," and have had zero thought about adding more pumps to do what PNP already does.  IMHO it works fine.  

(Of course my manual wedge hasn't ever broken either, so YMMV.  :Tease3::biggrin: )

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Fman said:

Another option is to cross vent them, run the vent to opposite side of the boat, this will take care of loosing any water dumping out the bags when completely full.

Only if you are listing the boat.  The idea behind cross venting in the olden days was to get the vent above the bag.  If you are running a level (SG) boat, the vent on the other side is going to be at the same level as the vent on the vented bag side of the boat.  I don't think it'd make a difference.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Only if you are listing the boat.  The idea behind cross venting in the olden days was to get the vent above the bag.  If you are running a level (SG) boat, the vent on the other side is going to be at the same level as the vent on the vented bag side of the boat.  I don't think it'd make a difference.

You are right, that is certainly where it originated.  Have some people had some siphon issues and the cross venting helped with that?

15 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Remember, the 17's now come with the vent line for the bag ready to connect. :thumbup:

So I was on a new 24 MXZ yesterday and I learned that the vented bags are a separate option called "Auto Vent." It is not standard or part of the PnP option.  

I also learned that the PnP in 2017 MXZ's is monitored by the dash gauges... when it reads 100% both your hard tank and your bag are full.  This is only true on the MXZ because the hard tank wraps up into the gunnel so the top of the bag is at the same elevation as the top of the hard tank meaning they reach 100% full at the same time  

At first I though this was sweet, but the. I wondered... what if you only want the hard tank full??

1 minute ago, IXFE said:

So I was on a new 24 MXZ yesterday and I learned that the vented bags are a separate option called "Auto Vent." It is not standard or part of the PnP option.  

I also learned that the PnP in 2017 MXZ's is monitored by the dash gauges... when it reads 100% both your hard tank and your bag are full.  This is only true on the MXZ because the hard tank wraps up into the gunnel so the top of the bag is at the same elevation as the top of the hard tank meaning they reach 100% full at the same time  

At first I though this was sweet, but the. I wondered... what if you only want the hard tank full??

I meant to look but was too busy drooling over the wake, but is there a handle/valve to shut off the pip like in the prior model?

Edited by hunter77ah
8 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I think you're right. I looked at a build sheet for a 16 then a 17 and there defiantly is a price difference between 16 PNP and 17 PNP w/auto vent. About $250. 

All good stuff, Shawn/IXFE I appreciate the info, your a good comparison seeing as you had reversibles and now are using the PnP from Malibu.  I have always installed reversible pumps in my last three boats but wanted to save a few bucks and give my low back/knees a break on this order and give the PnP a try which appears to have improved over the past couple years.  I am already kind of dreading having to crawl in the observers compartment for the stereo install :) I will definitely be doing a bow bag reversible pump, that is a must.  Are they really charging $250 extra for a couple vent lines? on top of the PnP charge?

23 minutes ago, IXFE said:

If I am not mistaken the hard tanks in the new MXZ actually go up the side of the ski locker which in turn gives you a reading on the bag?  Good point on what happens if you only want the hard tank full?