Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nit Picks & Wish Lists for $150k+ Boats

The Hulk

10 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@IXFE Actually I think you would be surprised!  Keep in mind not all of us are blessed with Tax Free states!  

135k then add sales tax, guess where you are.......

Can't blame sales tax on the manufacturers. 

Look, I'm not saying $150k isn't possible (before tax). I'm just saying that's not what the OP paid and I doubt anybody in this thread paid that much... even the G owners. It's pretty rare.

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I  doubt he was $150k, however I doubt many '17's will be sub $130k,  and there will be a few that do cross the $150 mark.    It's not too difficult to get big boats up to 190-200k MSRP.  

G4, 575, stereo, that's 30K in options right there. Add some flake, gatorstep, and some helm options... your well on your way to 200k

Who is paying MSRP??? My dealer gave me a quote on the 2016 25 LSV ... and I could buy a new truck with it to reach 150k (with TT&L)

Ok, y'all win.  My point was this.   A loaded 2017 25 LSV, 24MXZ can easily reach 180k.  Now take 25% off $135k... now for the buyer that lives in a taxable state.  135k + tax, registration,  doc fees, etc.  He will be writing close to $150,000 check!   So to that guy he bought a $150,000 boat.    Example...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-malibu-wakesetter-24-mxz-102857723/

Our sales tax here is 8.05%  

Yes they can be had for much less.  You don't have to buy G4, 575, or a stereo.  Flake and Gatorstep, and cameras are also OPTIONS!  I get it.  

Edited by DarkSide
31 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Ok, y'all win.  My point was this.   A loaded 2017 25 LSV, 24MXZ can easily reach 180k.  Now take 25% off $135k... now for the buyer that lives in a taxable state.  135k + tax, registration,  doc fees, etc.  He will be writing close to $150,000 check!   So to that guy he bought a $150,000 boat.    Example...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2017-malibu-wakesetter-24-mxz-102857723/

Our sales tax here is 8.05%  

Yes they can be had for much less.  You don't have to buy G4, 575, or a stereo.  Flake and Gatorstep, and cameras are also OPTIONS!  I get it.  

Why are you still talking about sales tax?  That's simply not relevant to this discussion.  Malibu doesn't collect that money and neither does the dealer.  The purpose of this thread is what @The Hulk thinks he's owed FROM HIS BOAT for his $150K+

If you want to roll tax into this discussion, let's talk about the fire department, police, schools, roads, and other public programs that your sales tax funds.

I am done!  I obviously suck at conveying a Perspective that MUST be factored in depending on where you live.    I also did not take this thread, as to HULKS SPECIFIC BOAT,  but more of a what should be included in a boat where the size of the check you write is $150,000....  

guys its a joke: no i didnt pay that for a demo: the build price was in the 161k range via MSRP... it is pretty optioned up and flaked out and trailer tricked out. 50hr Demo = Great savings! i was just referring to MSRP for fun to catch some attention on the thread:.... my point is that its not too difficult if you want to get to 150k as mentioned above especially after tax etc.. 

if you assume 20% off MSRP then example take 161k * .80 = 128.8k + 7% here = 137k ish getting closer if you dont buy a "demo". add a 575 and some other options or $3-4k trailer upgrades and your there or past easily... 

FYI i asked another Nautique dealer what i could get into a G for: and they told me they just got someone into one for only $160k...i said only? so seems its easier to cross that threshold with a G for sure... 

i assumed mentioning the actual price i paid was frowned upon on here. I was simply saying i'd like to see some changes/upgrades or things included for the price we are paying. 

G4 tower and lights is $10k MSRP upgrade FYI - OUCH!

the boat i got was the "show stopper" demo boat... love it.. a few on here have ridden in it or demoed it. 

Edited by The Hulk

Hulk, 

I took this thread as what should be included with ANY wakeboat that you have to write a $150,000 check for.   I too participated in good fun.  There are things that aren't there that should be at this price point! 

I have no Butt Hurt about this topic!  I was actually enjoying it for a while.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@IXFE Actually I think you would be surprised!  Keep in mind not all of us are blessed with Tax Free states!  

135k then add sales tax, guess where you are.......

Sales tax and then times by 1.3 and you get it in Canadian dollars! I see all of your prices and think of them as amazing deals 

@IXFE I was done, I moved away from further tax references.

It was pointed out that no one was writing a check for $150,000 USD for a new Malibu!  I simply state that is not accurate!.  That was the basis of my statement, again I obviously suck at conveying my thoughts here.  

As you asked about taxes i will comply,   No malibu is not responsible for your particular tax situation any more than they are responsible for the canadian dollar exchange rate.  Your expectations of what YOUR $150,000 will buy you is going to be different, because YOU factor in the tax into your $150,000 purchase.    So YOUR $150,000 boat will be a $100,000 boat in a tax free location.    You adjust your expectations accordingly.  I.e. referencing $150k when others pay no where near that.  

I also understand that states are getting money somewhere, if not sales tax it's property tax etc....I totally get it.  

Can we go back to what we expect our $150k to buy us?

Edited by DarkSide
19 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@IXFE

Can we go back to what we expect our $150k to buy us?

Sure thing... just as soon as we acknowledge that nobody in this thread actually paid that for their boats. 

The reason this matters is the entire premise of this thread is that if you buy a boat for MORE than $150k shouldn't you expect certain things...?  The longest b**** list in this entire thread is from a guy who admits he didn't pay anywhere near that.  He even admitted to baiting us into this thread with a misleading title. So does that mean the complaint list is shorter if the boat only cost $100k...?  Or $125k...?

Not sure why you even picked this fight with me. My comments weren't even directed at you. 

Edited by IXFE
On 9/22/2016 at 2:03 AM, The Hulk said:

Malibu 2018 Necessary Upgrades & Wish List (Love my boat) but posting this so Malibu can get some feedback on needed changes for the $150k+ price range:

So now let's get back on topic as posed by @The Hulk

One additional item, additional dimming for 7" screen, I can make the big screen dim as much as I want, the 7" is still too bright even after dimming, for night use, I end up putting tshirt over it.

Edited by DarkSide
25 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Absolutely 100% agree no one here paid $150k

I think we agree more than disagree... as stated before.  I AM NOT CONVEYING WELL!  

So absolutely no issue!  

Okay... so you'll like this post

Despite all my bluster I actually WAS on a boat this week that was fully optioned out (no supercharger), and will come close to $150k come boat show time.  My take away... not worth it. Not even close (my baseline of comparison is a loaded up 23 LSV). 

What I would expect when jumping from $100k to $150k is a higher level of fit and finish, construction, attention to detail, QUIETNESS, better factory stereo, TONS more subfloor ballast, and yes... a MATERIALLY better wake/wave. 

In essence what I'm asking for is more QUALITY; what I saw was more QUANTITY (i.e. more of the same fiberglass and vinyl but the same wave and same feel inside as my cheap old 23 LSV). 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

I agree, fit finish,  and RELIABILITY!  Reliability should be standard with any new boat.  However at that price point, if reliability is an issue, loaners need to be available!  

It's not going to be long before everything is $150, the higher end will be over $200k in a couple years.   I priced an RI yesterday $173k....ugh...

Edited by DarkSide
6 hours ago, DarkSide said:
17 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I agree, fit finish,  and RELIABILITY!  Reliability should be standard with any new boat.  However at that price point, if reliability is an issue, loaners need to be available!  

It's not going to be long before everything is $150, the higher end will be over $200k in a couple years.   I priced an RI yesterday $173k....ugh...

I hope there was $50k hidden in the observers compartment.  Nice boat, but seriously that's just crazy.