Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nit Picks & Wish Lists for $150k+ Boats

The Hulk

Malibu 2018 Necessary Upgrades & Wish List (Love my boat) but posting this so Malibu can get some feedback on needed changes for the $150k+ price range: here are  a few of my suggestions and gripes:

1.       Surf Seat that DOES NOT scratch/rip the seats: this is lack of care having the aluminum hitting the vinyl on the surf seat…careless designing. Pure lack of detail on this one and deserves a GRIPE or hopefully they will fix ripped seats every few years free of charge on the warranty? Simply put a ½” space between this things for gosh sakes! Or make the seats on the boat a little less wide or better yet the surf seat a little less wide by ½” on each side…

2.       Incorporate a nicer kicker plate for the sub rather than a flimsy plastic board similar to the M.

3.       Adjustable SG deflection angle: need option for at least 3 deflection positions: should be an easy software upgrade.

4.       G4-tower mirror!.. Or do I seriously have to buy one of the G3-Tower mirrors and make a new clamp to fit the G4 myself already? – Seriously miss my tower mirror... its not that hard folks same mirror different mount – SIMPLE so do it. (Anyone want to sell me a white G3 tower mirror cheap?)

5.       Digital Tach display instead of the gauge. Sometimes it would be nice if you could switch views and get an EXACT RPM reading… or perhaps make an “ODBII” display screen that would be sweet and we could get a GPH reading!!!

a.       Question: on the newer motors do they accept ODBII plug can’t we just get a Bluetooth ODBII thing and view all engine data on our phones?

6.       EXT Gauge & ALARM… why not save the engines before the alarms or “lack thereof” go off… with EXT alarms you would pretty much eliminate all engine “costly” fixes… hmmm maybe they don’t want this? Or perhaps the dealers don’t want this…..hmmm

7.       Water-FLOW-Alarm in-case your hose comes disconnected or strainer plugs up – just saying... (Ok I’m ready for all the responses on why we don’t need this)…

8.       Bimini – with foldable BACK side: I’ve noticed with the towers, when you fold down the Bimini kicks up. You don’t gain much if anything. Would be nice if the Bimini could quickly be hinged at the back of the tower. Also the front of the Bimini hits the window. Perhaps making it longer to extend past the front of the window or bend to go behind the windshield would allow folding the tower. Long story short with Bimini extended you might be lucky to gain a few inches, if boards are on top and extend off the back of the Bimini then you actually are increasing the height when dropping it down… making larger Bimini to extend forward more and bend in the back would be awesome

9.       Support sidewalls/deck more under the G4 Tower: even in light chop you can see the fiberglass deck shaking/flexing…hope it lasts…at least I got a 5yr warranty but in NO way would I consider this enough to do a double up for my liking. Not sure if this is due to the longer (unsupported) side on the 25lsvs only and perhaps stiffer since less distance spanned on the smaller boats? Anyhow needs beefed up.  I don’t like seeing the top deck shake in light chop: give your fiberglass a wax job and look at it in the light…it flexes for sure…discomforting to say the least...

10.   HEATER: - have some heater hoses and ports in the SIDES of the boats above cup holders (I saw the axis video) pretty cool they have them in the dash – similar but for sidewalls would be nice. The heater craft has new 6-port front plate: would be nice to see some of the heat dispersed throughout the boat and incorporated around the boat.

11.   Trash compartment: oh why is there carpet on the side wall here to get all dirty when trash has to bounce off the side before going into the trash can? Have to clean beer smell off the carpet here every time I go out... need a plastic deflector or something here.

a.       And can someone tell me where I can get a trash bag to fit this funky thing?

12.   Ability for dimming the display MUCH MUCH dimmer for night surfing (I mean driving)

13.   Incorporate a small rubber stopper on the G4 tower so the PTMs do not ding the tower when moved inward fully. Currently the release button/knob will ding a G4 when you swing it in fully.

14.   G4 Tower light: bummer this thing sticks up off the G4, and then I need to add another 1ft pole light on top of that…I think the light should act/flip up similar to the rope part. If they need it that high just have it fold up. Having a stub stick up is pointless waste. Why not incorporate the receptacle right into the G4 tower top and save 4-5” height or make the whole thing swivel/flip up and ready to go.

15.   Make tower interior lights changeable RGB: White sucks for bugs!!!!, amber or other color would be nice, but since we do not need high lumen per watt LEDs for interior mood lights I think all interiors should be switched to RGB LEDs with a color dial setting on the display! Would be cool at least…you could set the mood… just saying white at night is horrible for bugs… good for brightness but if I need light I’ll flip on the tower lights or something for a quick sec.. or add 2 high brightness white Lights on a separate switch than the mood lights if you need to see real quick... 

16.   Eliminate as much carpet in the boat as possible similar to the Nautiques. Help prevent mildew etc...

17.   Pizza Tray: seriously is this thing a JOKE? Come on Malibu make a dang aluminum one where if I step in it on accident I don’t break it... not to mention be able to put something in it. I have the 450 and I swear it could be 3x as deep like my previous one. Now I’ll have to fab another aluminum one for this boat again. I miss my old one so much, I could store so much stuff in there ropes/towels/toys, squirt guns, boggie board, and it served as a nice walk-through when the hatches were up. time to make another this winter. 

18.   Drain Plug: find a way to put the drain plug in the center of the hull bottom; it’s up the side a bit to where the water wont drain out or at least about 3-5 gal can remain in the boat when removed on level surface (middle of boat drain plug)

19.   Hinged floor Access pop up to air out below deck when gone (maybe like the G23 cooler floor type thing) – currently I pull up the surf seat and take out the access compartment / floor there, and then pull carpet back and take off the round access hatch in middle of boat. If there is any water there from people getting in/out, ballast burping etc... I have to let it air out , it only takes 1-2 hot days under a boat lift before lake water down there will smell things up.

Over-all awesome killer machine I know they can’t do everything we “want” or think of, but I feel the above is reasonable requests in new model years forth coming; Dont take this as complaining but rather more feedback on what i expect in 4.5yrs from now! ha

1. G4 tower light is ridiculous should reuse same mount as G3.  

2. Adjust mounting holes 1/4 inch so Rev 10 fit on G4.   1 pr. Rev 10 is way better than 2 pr of 8.  2 pair of 10 would be ridiculous!  

3.  Make Rev 10 an option!

4.  Move driver heater vent to seat base, here is why, when you get into boat and are wet/cold you have a towel/blanket.  With current location the towel/blanket BLOCKS the heat.  With the vent behind driver calves, the towel/blanket, chambers the heat!  Infinitely more effective!

5.  Use 3800 GPH pumps, the current 1100's are a joke!  When you have a short time in the mornings waiting 10+ minutes to fill is ridiculous!  I added secondary pumps, even with Ninja bags, 4.5 minutes to fill!  Factory pumps to drain so 15 minutes....

6.  Make factory cover TOWABLE!  I love my Evolution!  

7.  $3500 trailer wheels are 18's????  Should be 20's. Basic wheels should be 16" minimum.   

Edited by DarkSide
4 hours ago, dppendar said:

I like the mirror over the passenger side window!

I swapped out my tower light on the G4 so that it is almost flush.  West marine.

Sorry don't quite understand this?

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

1. G4 tower light is ridiculous should reuse same mount as G3.  

2. Adjust mounting holes 1/4 inch so Rev 10 fit on G4.   1 pr. Rev 10 is way better than 2 pr of 8.  2 pair of 10 would be ridiculous!  

3.  Make Rev 10 an option!

4.  Move driver heater vent to seat base, here is why, when you get into boat and are wet/cold you have a towel/blanket.  With current location the towel/blanket BLOCKS the heat.  With the vent behind driver calves, the towel/blanket, chambers the heat!  Infinitely more effective!

5.  Use 3800 GPH pumps, the current 1100's are a joke!  When you have a short time in the mornings waiting 10+ minutes to fill is ridiculous!  I added secondary pumps, even with Ninja bags, 4.5 minutes to fill!  Factory pumps to drain so 15 minutes....

6.  Make factory cover TOWABLE!  I love my Evolution!  

7.  $3500 trailer wheels are 18's????  Should be 20's. Basic wheels should be 16" minimum.   

Are two rev 10s really better than 4 rev 8s? Seems would be similar?

I thought rev 10s fit in G4. ?

Yea covers are still a joke..

My tricked out trailer wheels aren't 20s? Whaaawhaaat.  

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

One pair of Rev 10 fits, 2 pr do not, without funky brackets.  Yes 1 pr better than (4) 8".   Area, 10" circle has roughly 2x the area of 8" cicle.  So mid Bass is way nicer with 10's.  

I agree with @dppendar i like the mirror on observer windshield.

Yes your really expensive trailer wheels are 18's.... Base wheel is 14"... 14" wheels on 150k boat....when will the insanity stop!

Subfloor ballast, though getting much better still needs to be 3500+ on the 24/25 footer's.    I believe most don't go ninja is simply because they haven't tried it!  Once you go ninja,  there is no going back!  

• Like 2

Will a pair of 10s and a pair of 8s fit well?

Mirror still waiting in the PTM mirror part for passenger side.. I'll evaluate when it arrives.. liked the tower mirror a lot though..

Fully agree need more subfloor. Roto molds are cheep so this should be easy for bu to incorporate..

6 hours ago, The Hulk said:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/5580

this is the light... get rid of the light pole on top.  mounts flush on the tower.

41 minutes ago, sonny20 said:

Did someone say dispensers?

image.jpeg

You can't drop that picture here without any back story.  So many questions???  Beer tap? Teak sun deck?

Not related to Bu, but since thread title generalizes it to 150k boats......

G23 should have-

1)Factory option for clamping racks- You can finally get PTM clamping racks as a direct bolt up now, but have to do it as a dealer installed/self installed option. 

2)Helm remote- too much stuff being controlled by the screen already. I added a helm remote to my G23, and don't know how I could live without it.

3)Polk head unit?!?!? Give me a break. Biggest POS head unit, incorporated into one of the absolute best factory stereo systems. 

4)Stay cool vinyl- biggest thing I miss about my MCs. Nautique needs to get with the program on the latest vinyl tech. 

Other than that, I am supremely happy with my G.

6 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

You can't drop that picture here without any back story.  So many questions???  Beer tap? Teak sun deck?

Agreed, lots of pics & stories needed with those mods!

• Like 2
On 9/22/2016 at 5:03 AM, The Hulk said:

5.       Digital Tach display instead of the gauge. Sometimes it would be nice if you could switch views and get an EXACT RPM reading… or perhaps make an “ODBII” display screen that would be sweet and we could get a GPH reading!!!

a.       Question: on the newer motors do they accept ODBII plug can’t we just get a Bluetooth ODBII thing and view all engine data on our phones?

6.       EXT Gauge & ALARM… why not save the engines before the alarms or “lack thereof” go off… with EXT alarms you would pretty much eliminate all engine “costly” fixes… hmmm maybe they don’t want this? Or perhaps the dealers don’t want this…..hmmm

7.       Water-FLOW-Alarm in-case your hose comes disconnected or strainer plugs up – just saying... (Ok I’m ready for all the responses on why we don’t need this)…

5., 5a., The ford engines use a marine engine controller, not the stock automotive unit.  It uses OBDM, onboard diagnostics marine, per regulations.  OBDII, is not the same.  There are far fewer products available to read OBDM compared to automotive OBDII.  Someone else suggested Diacom and cable from Rinda.  

6. The engine ECM does output warning and alarm signals for engine functions and conditions that go out of acceptable range.  The ECM will also put the engine into Derate when required too.  The alarm itself is a boat builder preference item, in the dash screen, a buzzer, whatever.  I doubt the engine companies really want to let things go out of spec and damage them since they always end up duking it out over whether the issue was operator error, boat company install issue, mechanic service issue, or an actual engine issue that is covered by warranty.

7. The Fords do monitor water flow and have a water flow alarm to give a code for lack of required water flow.  It is set up to know the required flow from idle to WOT and if not correct, send an alarm signal and code signal that should show on the helm.    

On September 23, 2016 at 10:50 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

On September 23, 2016 at 10:04 AM, sonny20 said:

Did someone say dispensers?

image.jpeg

Drip on my vinyl? Oh, the horror!

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:13 AM, The Hulk said:

Does the aluminum light receptacle pillar on top of the g4 Remove then?

pole comes out and the light caps the top... sits up about 3 inches over the bimini if I remember correctly.