Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Used Boat Would You Get?

3sport

Which Used Boat Would You Buy?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming they're the same price, which boat would you buy:

• Loaded 2013 G23 with ZR450 and 740 hours on the motor
    • 2015 VLX with 350, torque prop, G3.2 tower and only 25 hours. Effectively a new boat that is loaded except for the base engine and tower.

Just now, kerpluxal said:

Hmm... 1st time was a demo and the salesperson just stated "factory"... did not give me a speed.....

2nd time at factory I was surfing my boat and my friend went by in his G... had him give me a pull... was in water not in boat to see what the settings were..

Sacked Gs.. 

1st time was a 2015 @ 11.6

2nd time was a 2016 @ 11.6 (same owner of both boats) bad a$$ wave :notworthy:

A lot of variables there that could be off.  I think you can appreciate that not knowing the speed or settings and having someone just tell you it is "factory" leaves a lot of room for error.  

That being said, let me know what your friend with the "sacked out" G is running.  I can tell you if I have tried it and if not I can try it next year.  

Edited by bamaboy
14 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

A lot of variables there that could be off.  I think you can appreciate that not knowing the speed or settings and having someone just tell you it is "factory" leaves a lot of room for error.  

That being said, let me know what your friend with the "sacked out" G is running.  I can tell you if I have tried it and if not I can try it next year.  

I agree... however...1st time was behind the dealer boat and with his attitude that day and in general.. should have been the best wave of my life and he should have "dialed" it in right... On my friends boat.. totally agree... He just bought it and has been working with my other friend on setting it up... variables could have been off 

8 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I agree... however...1st time was behind the dealer boat and with his attitude that day and in general.. should have been the best wave of my life and he should have "dialed" it in right

IME, you better bring your own recipe for a dealer demo.

The salespeople usually know about as much as my wife when it comes to dialing in a boat.  

1 hour ago, bamaboy said:

IME, you better bring your own recipe for a dealer demo.

The salespeople usually know about as much as my wife when it comes to dialing in a boat.  

Nope.. that sales man was too cocky for me....

My friend runs 400 in rear lockers and 700 in bow (150 of that in lead) additional and 100 of lead on port side .. or 400 rear center and lead weight in port an bow... depending on size of crew...

Edited by kerpluxal
6 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Nope.. that sales man was too cocky for me....

My friend runs 400 in rear lockers and 700 in bow (150 of that in lead) additional and 100 of lead on port side .. or 400 rear center and lead weight in port an bow... depending on size of crew...

700 in the bow?  So he puts a sack on the seats?

On 9/21/2016 at 11:13 AM, Chattwake said:

I also thought the surf wave behind the G was garbage - even with NSS.  We tried and tried, but could not get it dialed.

I'm no expert on this boat, but I rode a 17 G23 last night, with straight stock ballast (no plug n play, no nothing) and the wave was great (port side).  I'd say it was a B+ right out of the box. 

21 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

Totally disagree that it is turn key from factory... I guess if you like big lip running down the middle of your wave (instead placed more towards the top of the wave) with little push you can consider it turnkey... extra ballast and tweeking the settings and a bad a$$ wave is made... and this was behind two different Gs... both 2016s.. one owner setting it up right... one owner using the factory philosophy,,, 

Different strokes for different folks, but the new G's are the ONLY boat I've ever ridden behind that I'd vouch for as having a legit 'turn key' wave.  The RI?  I'm not sure how to quantify it, because "stock" meant having a ton of bags under the seats.  But if a guy wants to consider that "stock", then the RI is legit too. 

As far as that "lip":  That IS the lip.  It isn't "in the middle".........the wave just sets up a little more off center than most boats.

As far as having "no push"......  I have to admit, I'm starting to realize that by "push" you guys mean that the wave is hooking......and literally pushing from behind when you fall back in the wave.   And yeah, this wave doesn't hook much.   It's a down-the-line performance wave.........which I prefer.  (FWIW: I always considered push to be kinda the same as power, because "power" is what you should really be looking for in the back of the wave.......that's what will allow you to ride back there and not just be saved)

@3sport  I'd def go with the VLX for your needs.  The new tranny & hulls on the G's kinda makes the older ones obsolete (maybe not today, but when you go to sell anyway).  Plus the VLX is plenty of boat......... Good luck!

Edited by -BS-

The lip I'm referring to ran down the middle of the wave and washed it out in part.  It was bad.  Look, I'm not making this up.  I wanted the wave to be good so I could ride some new boards we had with us.  I was just super disappointed. 

I'm sure I'll ride that boat again.  If the wave is better, I'll report back.  Perhaps something was off.  It wasn't particularly shallow or anything where we were riding.  I mean, I've been surfing for years, so we checked out all the normal variables, moved weight around, etc.  Just couldn't get it right that day.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Chattwake said:

The lip I'm referring to ran down the middle of the wave and washed it out in part.  It was bad.  Look, I'm not making this up.  I wanted the wave to be good so I could ride some new boards we had with us.  I was just super disappointed. 

I'll defer.  I'm just going on the wave I rode last night......

@Chattwake

For sure.   I just thought you guys might be mistaking that whitewash line (that's barely in the photo) for the lip (which is right where my hand is).  That's why I said that.   The NSGSLCLRXAIRA (or whatever it's called) setting was set at 5 in this photo.  I wonder if the setting was at 0 (least steep), if it would move that lip over closer to the whitewash line and allow some of that water to mess with the wave?

IMG_3683_zpsojjskth5.jpg

Edited by -BS-
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, -BS- said:

I'm no expert on this boat, but I rode a 17 G23 last night, with straight stock ballast (no plug n play, no nothing) and the wave was great (port side).  I'd say it was a B+ right out of the box. 

Different strokes for different folks, but the new G's are the ONLY boat I've ever ridden behind that I'd vouch for as having a legit 'turn key' wave.  The RI?  I'm not sure how to quantify it, because "stock" meant having a ton of bags under the seats.  But if a guy wants to consider that "stock", then the RI is legit too. 

As far as that "lip":  That IS the lip.  It isn't "in the middle".........the wave just sets up a little more off center than most boats.

As far as having "no push"......  I have to admit, I'm starting to realize that by "push" you guys mean that the wave is hooking......and literally pushing from behind when you fall back in the wave.   And yeah, this wave doesn't hook much.   It's a down-the-line performance wave.........which I prefer.  (FWIW: I always considered push to be kinda the same as power, because "power" is what you should really be looking for in the back of the wave.......that's what will allow you to ride back there and not just be saved)

@3sport  I'd def go with the VLX for your needs.  The new tranny & hulls on the G's kinda makes the older ones obsolete (maybe not today, but when you go to sell anyway).  Plus the VLX is plenty of boat......... Good luck!

I would say this is pretty much identical to my assessment of the G.  Thanks BS for an unbiased, good review.  And I mean that.  No sarcasm.  

1 hour ago, Chattwake said:

I'm sure I'll ride that boat again.  If the wave is better, I'll report back.  Perhaps something was off.  It wasn't particularly shallow or anything where we were riding.  I mean, I've been surfing for years, so we checked out all the normal variables, moved weight around, etc.  Just couldn't get it right that day.

When you do, start with NCRS (Nautique Configurable Running Surface) plate at 5 and NSS (Nautique Surf System by Malibu) at 0, speed 11-12 mph depending on size of crew. If you have those two settings backwards your will have a big mess! Our priority was the wakeboard wake and we went with a '14 G instead of buying new, but it surfs great too!

BTW - I personally know 2 people who have 2013's with the 450 and love it. I think member here Nohlan has the same and can chime in his experience.  NRyan had that combo in his first G and can tell you it's limitations, no comparison to his 550 I'm sure. My hesitation on the hours would be looking 3 years down the road at a boat with 1000 vs. 300 hours. That said, the first G I demoed last year was a '13 athlete/team boat with over 1200 hours...it was a little rough around the edges, but was rock solid on the water.  

1 hour ago, -BS- said:

@Chattwake

For sure.   I just thought you guys might be mistaking that whitewash line (that's barely in the photo) for the lip (which is right where my hand is).  That's why I said that.   The NSGSLCLRXAIRA (or whatever it's called) setting was set at 5 in this photo.  I wonder if the setting was at 0 (least steep), if it would move that lip over closer to the whitewash line and allow some of that water to mess with the wave?

IMG_3683_zpsojjskth5.jpg

This is not the wave that I rode on the 2 stock G's... Nor the wave I rode on my friend's G that has extra ballast... 

If that is the stock wave you had... then I did not get that wave... you can move the lip down half way from where it is now with the same wave size and that is what I had both times.

@bamaboy... I am not being biased... I am just giving MHO... I have yet to ride a good wave that was turn key from any of the manufactures.. 

Just now, kerpluxal said:

This is not the wave that I rode on the 2 stock G's... Nor the wave I rode on my friend's G that has extra ballast... 

If that is the stock wave you had... then I did not get that wave... you can move the lip down half way from where it is now with the same wave size and that is what I had both times.

@bamaboy... I am not being biased... I am just giving MHO... I have yet to ride a good wave that was turn key from any of the manufactures.. 

Hopefully you didn't take what I said to mean you were biased.  I totally believe you. 100%

But I think something was off.  I have ridden 3 different 2016s and that wave that BS got is what I ride on a daily basis and what I experienced on the other boats.  

On 9/21/2016 at 0:04 PM, 3sport said:

Looking at trading the VTX in for a pure surfing/cruising/floating boat (we don't wakeboard and have a ski boat) and am looking for some second opinions.

After hijacking your thread for a while and never gave you my answer :(

I would honestly take both outs and demo them the way you would ride them and make an assessment from there... Everybody's opinions vary and so does their riding styles and boat usage.. Demo them as YOU intend to use them then pick the one that best suits all your needs :cheers:

3 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

After hijacking your thread for a while and never gave you my answer :(

I would honestly take both outs and demo them the way you would ride them and make an assessment from there... Everybody's opinions vary and so does their riding styles and boat usage.. Demo them as YOU intend to use them then pick the one that best suits all your needs :cheers:

I'm trying to line up demos, but if things shake out as I expect, the G is going to win hands down for surf wave, no exposed bags and drivability for the wife (i.e. no chilly dips regardless of water conditions).  The issue really is what everyone has already identified - 750 hr boat (and all that comes with that) vs practically new boat.  I'm struggling with where the priority should be.  Do I sacrifice a bit on the surf wave, having to use a bow bag and the occasional chilly dip to get into a new boat that will probably be easier to resell?

@3sport

As far as 'chili dipping' 

Its either occasional water over the bow... or occasional water over the stern.  And I don't say that to sway your opinion one way or another.  Both boats are awesome.  You'll be happy either way.  But you have to be on point every single time you pull off that throttle with the G.... or you'll take water over the stern.

2 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I got to ride the same boat as BS last night and that's the legit stock wave he's got his hand on. No bags, no voice activated ballast seating arrangements to help tweak it - overall it was a fantastic stock wave. Thinking about that wave and the interior features of the boat have pretty much ruined today for getting any actual work done.

We were pressed for daylight so didn't try any other NCRS settings on the regular side, just stayed with 5, but now I'm wishing we'd tried out NCRS 3. The goofy side was set at NCRS 3 but we only had 1 goofy rider and got just a few pics of it.

283F18E0-644A-4420-995B-7151F199384A_zps

• Like 2
1 hour ago, -BS- said:

@3sport

Its either occasional water over the bow... or occasional water over the stern.  And I don't say that to sway your opinion one way or another.  Both boats are awesome.  You'll be happy either way.  But you have to be on point every single time you pull off that throttle with the G.... or you'll take water over the stern.

little disappointed.  I was expecting a "rocket science" jab.

The wave I rode did not look like that at all.  Mine had a washy ridge running directly down the middle of the wave.  Like 2 ft up from the bottom of the wave.  It kicked up from the corner of the swim platform near the hull.  Also the wave seemed to grow and shrink randomly.

13 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I got to ride the same boat as BS last night and that's the legit stock wave he's got his hand on. No bags, no voice activated ballast seating arrangements to help tweak it - overall it was a fantastic stock wave. Thinking about that wave and the interior features of the boat have pretty much ruined today for getting any actual work done.

We were pressed for daylight so didn't try any other NCRS settings on the regular side, just stayed with 5, but now I'm wishing we'd tried out NCRS 3. The goofy side was set at NCRS 3 but we only had 1 goofy rider and got just a few pics of it.

@IXFE behind a G!

It's over!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, -BS- said:

@3sport

Wakeboarding full ballast?  Yep.  Definitely.

Surfing full ballast and full crew?  Nope.  Not for me.  Never once taken water over the stern surfing.  Not doubting your experience just saying I have never had it happen.

Do you mean you actually took on water over the walkthrough surfing?

8 minutes ago, 3sport said:

little disappointed.  I was expecting a "rocket science" jab.

I'm more disappointed in the lack of a nip slip photo of @IXFE surfing

@Stevo

18 minutes ago, NWBU said:

The great part about the 16 and newer Gs is that you can adjust all of that with the pebble watch.  Did they have one to try?

You can go from 0 to 5 on both NCRS and NSS, adjust speed by 0.1 increments, volume, and switch sides.  The pebble watch setup is legit.

Edited by bamaboy
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Just saying that in my times behind with stock ballast... I did not get that.... I see the pics.. and not saying your hiding ballast from my view.. I just did not get that wave :( 

Behind my friends G with additional ballast... I had better than what is in that pic:yahoo:

5 hours ago, Chattwake said:

I'm guessing you rode a '13-'15 G23. Those do have about a 5" wide wash line in them (just about 2/3 up the face) when they are a little too heavy in the rear. I never felt that it effected the feel of the wave, but I wasn't terribly impressed with the first gen G wave anyway......

Second gen, however, is a whole different animal on surf. I have never seen any wash line out of my boat, no matter how it was set up. It is definitely the most powerful wave I have ever ridden out of a stock boat. The wave is so "thick" (for lack of a better term). It's just solid and clean, and super powerful. I regularly ride an old 4' LF custom behind my G, and I can't use that board behind any other boat I ride. I'm 175lbs and it is too small.

BS assessment is spot on. I couldn't have said it better.

As for extra weight, I have run my boat with 300s under the lounge seats, and 400s under the helm floor, and in the lower portion of the compartment behind observer seat. It grows the stock wave pretty good, and is nice for a short crew. That said, I pulled it out mid-season and started just running stock (besides 200 lead under observer seat). The stock wave is so good, the extra ballast just wasn't worth messing with anymore. I can also say, too much rear weight (bags in rear) ruins the 2nd gen surf wave. 

In talking with Adam Wensink from Nautique, he recommended that with 6-8 people in cockpit area of boat, a 600-700lb under seat bow sack was the key on a 2016 G. That is allegedly what they run for competitions. Just stock plus a bow sack. Seems odd to me, as the G already rides very "bow down" when surfing, but I suppose he would know. I am planning to try it this weekend.....

Just now, TenTwentyOne said:

It grows the stock wave pretty good, and is nice for a short crew. That said, I pulled it out mid-season and started just running stock (besides 200 lead under observer seat). The stock wave is so good, the extra ballast just wasn't worth messing with anymore. I can also say, too much rear weight (bags in rear) ruins the 2nd gen surf wave. 

In talking with Adam Wensink from Nautique, he recommended that with 6-8 people in cockpit area of boat, a 600-700lb under seat bow sack was the key on a 2016 G. That is allegedly what they run for competitions. Just stock plus a bow sack. Seems odd to me, as the G already rides very "bow down" when surfing, but I suppose he would know. I am planning to try it this weekend.....

I run 150 under the observer seat to counter prop rotation.  Pretty identical to what you are doing I would say.  And my feelings about the additional ballast were similar to yours....not worth it.  Stock wave rocks.

Please report back on this setup and what bag you use.  

Edited by bamaboy