Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pre order ?'s

chris33

Looking to pull the trigger and order a 2017 22 MXZ during the off season. This will be my first new Malibu and I'm super excited. My main questions after seeing the enormous option list would be, what do you wish you would have added on your build? Also, what ended up being a waste of $$? My first draft on options came out to be a bit over $56,000. Ouch. This is obviously MSRP pricing before discounts so I know it will be lower than that. Thanks for your input.

52 minutes ago, chris33 said:

Looking to pull the trigger and order a 2017 22 MXZ during the off season. This will be my first new Malibu and I'm super excited. My main questions after seeing the enormous option list would be, what do you wish you would have added on your build? Also, what ended up being a waste of $$? My first draft on options came out to be a bit over $56,000. Ouch. This is obviously MSRP pricing before discounts so I know it will be lower than that. Thanks for your input.

I think it depends on how long you want to keep the boat. Are you a flipper? If you want to keep it a long time get what you want and don't worry about resale and such. I just went through this myself. Some of the options I went with are heater, seat heater, surfpipe, ladder (probably don't need another on MXZ?), backup camera, tower mirror and aluminum plates on the trailer. I hope to keep it a while so I got mostly what I wanted. I'm also going with the new factory wetsounds stereo setup. It should be enough for me and I like the 5 year warranty. You can save thousands and do it yourself.

I really like the new MXZ and was considering it. I would get the wakeview rear seat option. Kind of pricey though.

I'm also ordering a 2017 model, still undecided on what model it will be.  I will definitely be going G4 tower w/ptm clamping racks (4).  Other upgrades for me include surf pipe, adjustable seat, heater, led docking lights, rear view camera, Deckadence floor mat.  My last few boats have had the G3/3.2 series towers and I am ready for something upgraded with better tower speaker placements, ability to tow in stowed position, new look, and no more bungie board racks on this level of a boat.

Good news is the base 410 engine seems like it is doing fine for most and not necessary to upgrade the engine.

• Like 1

For me living on the lake it does make a difference. I don't spend the day on the boat. We boat then come home. I can come home to get toys if that were to come up. Then if we are just going to cruse well the pontoon is much more comfee, big bimini.  But we have always bought boats with functional over luxury.

I can't really address the question regarding what's a waste and what isn't, but as a bit of a cheapskate I do have my own perspective on options.  I look at each one and what it costs and ask myself "Is this option going to make my time on the water enough more fun to justify the cost?"  If an option costs $5,000, I'd be wondering if that option offers fun less than/equal to/greater than what I could otherwise do with that $5,000. Am I going to have $5,000 more fun over the period I own the boat because I bought that option? If I were looking at a list of options that add $50,000 to the price of the boat, I'd be seriously considering whether I might have more fun with a whole second boat of a different type, a sweet used sports car, 5 family trips to Hawaii, etc..

Or...if you're loaded and the cost doesn't matter, just get everything and never wonder whether you'd have had more fun if you would have just popped for the extra set of underwater lights or the sick wheels on the trailer!

My boat is a 2015 22 VLX optioned out very well.  Love the engine upgrade (LS3)and might go even bigger next time.  The things I wish I had are the only boxes I didn't check.  G4 tower and clamping board racks.  Big money, but makes the day on and off (trailering and storage) that much better.  Thing I don't need are the seat heater, gps maps, heater, table (haven't used it once in two seasons).  I don't have trailer bling and don't miss it.  And we trailer every time.  Evolution covers are great as well.

It's also tough to get much return out of engine upgrades when you resell.  It will definitely make your boat more appealing to a buyer(s) but recovering the cost of the upgrade isn't happening.  You will get a small % of it back when reselling.

6 hours ago, Fman said:

What is wrong with the power seat?  This is on my list, please explain...

My wife is vertically challenged & loves the power seat.  Uses it every time we surf.  Not for everyone I guess but it works for my house.

Dave

8 hours ago, teamerickson said:

One complaint I've heard about the power seat is it might not go low enough for some people's tastes. 

We love ours!  Just wish it had a better range.  

It seems totally goofy to me that so many wake boats don't come with forward cleats.  Virtually every other type of boat comes with them...why are these something "special" on these boats? I had to specifically request them as a custom addition when ordering my MB.  They weren't a listed option, but rather something that MB was willing to do when asked.  On the upside, they didn't charge me anything to add them!

On 9/21/2016 at 1:27 PM, Fman said:

What is wrong with the power seat?  This is on my list, please explain...

Works fine, just too high in the lowest position compared to the fixed seat due to the power mechanism.   

If you are tall over 6 feet (like me)  the seat does not go down low enough to sit under the top of the windshield without slouching....   You feel like you are sitting too high when cruising.  Surfing or wakeboarding with ballast the natural bow rise allows for seeing through the windshield most of the time.    If I want to sit totally above the windshield which I did on hot summer days it was great.  Jack it up and go.   

If the temp is cool out and want the windshield for protection then the seat is too high.  Fun but not sure if I would spring ~$833 (MSRP) for it again.  Wish it went down just another 5-6 inches.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater

After 50 hours on our LSV, the options I love and use are -

Seadeck flooring.  It gets hot and I do worry about nicks and stuff, but it is super easy to clean up, which I value given I am always out with my 3 girls (6, 4, and almost 2 years old)

Rear camera - I actually use this a lot - check the riders clear of the boat, as a true backup camera when coming out of our slip, etc.

Sport knob - for the cost, I wouldn't pass it up.  Although I don't use it nearly as much as I just reach up and touch the screen for adjustments.  

3 pairs of cleats.   We use the front pair more than I ever thought we would.   

G 3.2 tower - I don't have to fold my tower and it is pretty sturdy and functional.  I know everyone loves the G4 and I would like to have it, but not for the price Malibu charges.  

Heater - kids love it and it is already helping to extend the season a bit.  

Rear transom remote - I really only use the volume control, but that is nice to have when in the cove.   Heck, it won't allow you to skip tracks if using bluetooth, so volume is about all it is good for.  

M grain dash - just gives a nice appearance to the helm, IMO.

2 battery setup with switch

onboard battery charger

ladder - I'm surprised how much we use it off the swim platform and how much the smaller kids and grandparents may even need it at this point.  

LED transom lights - we rarely use them, but when we do, they really are cool

Slider bimini with surf pockets - it could be better designed, but keep our ZUP boards on top so it gets used often.  

pop up bow light - as man said, this should be standard

Options I have and would likely skip:

Command wheel.  It looks cool and is my main way I control stereo volume.  But, between the dash itself and the sport knob, I don't need another way to control everything within arm's reach.  I also think the steering feels clunkier in the wheel vs. boats without the command wheel.  Boats without it have a better steering feel to me.  

Stereo - Maybe the 2017 stuff really is better from Wetsounds, but I'd still be inclined to do a stereo delete if I was placing an order today. 

Silent tip exhaust - I thought this would be an intermediate choice between nothing and the surf pipe.   Other than looking good when on the trailer, I'm not sure they do much.  Either go standard exhaust or surf pipe, as I don't see the value in STE.  

Options I don't have but wish I did:  

Clamping racks.  Yea, they are pricey and yes, I know they are standard on the G4.  But the bungees bug me and I've damn near taken my eye out a time or two when releasing them (they stretch tight around surfboards) 

Surfpipe

Options I don't have and don't really miss -

LED docking lights.   We're just not out at night enough to need them.  

Power and heated seat

Shower - I would like one, but would go aftermarket and install it in the rear seat tray.   I forgot which member had that done, but it was nice.  

Engine upgrade - yes, bigger is better.  But in the end, the 410 gets it done at my elevation and I doubt I could choke down the price of the upgraded engine options.  

• Like 2

Power seat is SLOW to go up and down and when in down position it is not nearly low enough for me.  I am 6 2 and my head sticks well above edge of windshield.  Not sure what they thinking  on that.  I can't remember if you can get non power seat but still get it heated.  

49 minutes ago, chrisnorem said:

Power seat is SLOW to go up and down and when in down position it is not nearly low enough for me.  I am 6 2 and my head sticks well above edge of windshield.  Not sure what they thinking  on that.  I can't remember if you can get non power seat but still get it heated.  

You can get the seat heater option even if it doesn't have the lift. 

Power seat is best thing since sliced bread IMO and in wifeys opinion.. I was informed u can get non power with heat or power without heat. Not sure how long before they can add heat to the power seat but seems like it should be easy ..it's so nice to see above the window frame. And in lowest position I feel it's fine and my wife is short and she thinks low is too low at low so she raises it.. .. wouldn't buy a boat without it.. heated seat isnt a big deal if u have a hit air heater IMO. Never used mine in old boat only the hot air heater all the time..

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Power seat is best thing since sliced bread IMO and in wifeys opinion.. I was informed u can get non power with heat or power without heat. Not sure how long before they can add heat to the power seat but seems like it should be easy ..it's so nice to see above the window frame. And in lowest position I feel it's fine and my wife is short and she thinks low is too low at low so she raises it.. .. wouldn't buy a boat without it.. heated seat isnt a big deal if u have a hit air heater IMO. Never used mine in old boat only the hot air heater all the time..

Can you set seat height in rider profile or a driver profile?

• Like 1