Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil Marine 15W40?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, electricjohn said:

If I use a diesel rated oil, I also make sure it has an S service rating too.  SJ or better.

Correct - any diesel oil should also have an S rating for gasoline engines.  Glad someone brought that up.

Edited by Pra4sno
10 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Correct - any diesel oil should also have an S rating for gasoline engines.  Glad someone brought that up.

Many do not any more.  The current Rotella is one example.  There have been many discussions about this.  Delo 400SDE is one of the few readily available 15w40 oils that has a current S rating (SN)

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Many do not any more.  The current Rotella is one example.  There have been many discussions about this.  Delo 400SDE is one of the few readily available 15w40 oils that has a current S rating (SN)

Correct - when I spoke with my Malibu dealer they specifically recommended to use a straight 40 oil or to ensure that the 15w40 I used have gasoline ratings  (S/SN) to make sure the additives were correct.  They pointed to rotella as the one to watch out for as its changed specs.  I have an older motor so it may not be the same story for everyone.  

I used an SN 15w40 for the spring change as our reservoirs stay very cold and air temps arent exactly tropical until mid July.  Will go to royal purple 40wt for my mid summer change.  

47 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I picked up 3 gallons of DELO 15w-40 at Costco for $30 last weekend.  I made sure it was the one with the SN rating.

That's an awesome deal 

I've been running Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 for years.  Typically $11/gallon on Amazon shipped.  Then I run a K&N HP-3001 filter (I did a custom remote filter setup using the Indmar parts at the engine side and a generic kit on the other - allowed me to run a much larger filter at 1/2 the cost of the full Indmar kit).