Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil Marine 15W40?

Gents/ladies...I have scoured the internet and can't find the aforementioned oil which is what the manual says to use.  Is this discontinued?  If so, what replacement do you use?  I have a 2007 VLX with Indmar Monsoon 340.  

Thanks!

Nearly impossible to find at a non crazy price.  I've got a case backordered at Amazon but looking at the Pennzoil site it looks like they discontinued it.  Indmar sells a 15W40 at a highly inflated price.  I'm going with the Rotella T 15W40 this year

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Sounds like any 15W 40 will do as long as the grade is right.  Chevron Delo 400 CJ4 15W-40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil is $20.  Any thoughts on this?  Seems surprising to put "diesel" oil in these motors.

16 hours ago, Thor69 said:

Sounds like any 15W 40 will do as long as the grade is right.  Chevron Delo 400 CJ4 15W-40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil is $20.  Any thoughts on this?  Seems surprising to put "diesel" oil in these motors.

Delo is what I use. Any Diesel 15-40 CJ4 will work. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Nearly impossible to find at a non crazy price.  I've got a case backordered at Amazon but looking at the Pennzoil site it looks like they discontinued it.  Indmar sells a 15W40 at a highly inflated price.  I'm going with the Rotella T 15W40 this year

Question to all using "Diesel Oil".. This is what I ran in my Sunsetter.... Upon purchasing my LSV, I talked to mechanic about what "oil" to use in it... I told him I was using the Rotella in my other boat and he "claimed" that diesel oil contains additives that are not good for marine engines and I should run a blended oil in the weight of 10w40 if I cannot find 15w40 (which indmar carries at a whopping 12 per quart).. 

However, when I looked for the "Pennzoil Marine 15w40"... right there on the label it states Marine/Diesel... hmmm lol... 

So... are these extra cleaning additives actual bad? is it better to run 10w40 over diesel?

Just now, kerpluxal said:

Question to all using "Diesel Oil".. This is what I ran in my Sunsetter.... Upon purchasing my LSV, I talked to mechanic about what "oil" to use in it... I told him I was using the Rotella in my other boat and he "claimed" that diesel oil contains additives that are not good for marine engines and I should run a blended oil in the weight of 10w40 if I cannot find 15w40 (which indmar carries at a whopping 12 per quart).. 

However, when I looked for the "Pennzoil Marine 15w40"... right there on the label it states Marine/Diesel... hmmm lol... 

So... are these extra cleaning additives actual bad? is it better to run 10w40 over diesel?

FWIW - dealers seem to be recommending the Rotella.  My only concern previously was statements about Rotella hurting the catalytic convertor, but that appears to have been an issue with previous versions of the oil and not the current version which does not carry that warning any more.

I don't think any of the oils today are bad if they were they would not stay in business or get the certification's. Pick something you feel confident in and can get at your local stores and use it. If any of them were known to be bad the industry would be putting something in the owners manual DO NOT USE .......... Oil.  JMHO.

What happened to Penzoil?  I ordered 4 gallons beginning of the season & I just checked & it  says discontinued on many sites?  I used Rottella on malibu forever.  Previous owner of this boat just ran the Penz so I figured I'd just stay with it but cant get it now?

Edited by racer808

Diesel oil has a higher Zinc content for older engines. 

Go to Tractor supply, $10/gallon http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-premium-all-fleet-15w-40-diesel-engine-oil-1-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Or if in the midwest, go to Fleet Farm, Resolve brand is Citgo and cheap too. (I keep forgetting to get it there myself.)

Edited by footndale
1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

Delo is what I use. Any Diesel 15-40 CJ4 will work. 

This is my choice as well.  Used this for 8 years without issue.  I agree with other comments here, pick an oil you feel confident in that has the required rating and change frequently. 

17 minutes ago, footndale said:

Diesel oil has a higher Zinc content for older engines. 

Go to Tractor supply, $10/gallon http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-premium-all-fleet-15w-40-diesel-engine-oil-1-gal?cm_vc=-10005

Or if in the midwest, go to Fleet Farm, Resolve brand is Citgo and cheap too. (I keep forgetting to get it there myself.)

I get mine from Tractor Supply too, but I get the 5 gal bucket.  I also don't start my boat on a 20 degree degree morning, so I don't use multi-viscosity.

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

What happened to Penzoil?  I ordered 4 gallons beginning of the season & I just checked & it  says discontinued on many sites?  I used Rottella on malibu forever.  Previous owner of this boat just ran the Penz so I figured I'd just stay with it but cant get it now?

I used it for years with my other boats but quit when it got hard to find and expensive.  I thought I also saw someplace it was being discontinued.

walmart supertec 15w40 @ $10/gal. Run it in my cummins as well and it has 350k miles on it. Any modern oil will be just fine so long as it is changed at the correct interval.

I haven't changed oil on my 2002 yet (just got it and it had been changed right before I bought it), but on my '95 I changed to straight 50w diesel and noticed that oil pressure stayed much more constant and a good operating level. Also, less bouncing around of oil pressure. The old 350 with 1000 hours liked it.

Steve B.

7 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I haven't changed oil on my 2002 yet (just got it and it had been changed right before I bought it), but on my '95 I changed to straight 50w diesel and noticed that oil pressure stayed much more constant and a good operating level. Also, less bouncing around of oil pressure. The old 350 with 1000 hours liked it.

Steve B.

Going with thicker than recommended oil is an old trick for trying to keep worn out engines running.  I don't think I'd do that with your new boat unless that boat also has oil pressure problems.

Another oil to consider and is easy to find is the Mercury/Quicksilver 20-50 oil. Indmars long block is the same as the mercury 350 mpi or Black scorpion. The merc stuff is VERY good stuff and is specifically rated for use in a marine catalyst engine. It is slightly heavier so you may notice a slight increase in oil psi.

6 hours ago, Luckylindy said:

Another oil to consider and is easy to find is the Mercury/Quicksilver 20-50 oil. Indmars long block is the same as the mercury 350 mpi or Black scorpion. The merc stuff is VERY good stuff and is specifically rated for use in a marine catalyst engine. It is slightly heavier so you may notice a slight increase in oil psi.

The Mercury oil (I believe it's 25w40) is the only multi-visc oil I would consider running in a boat.  Since its base oil weight is 25, it doesn't rely on viscosity improvers as much to reach 40 weight. 

Several years ago, a marine dealer here had it for 1/2 price at a going out of business sale.  I bought several gallons, otherwise there is no way I'm paying ~$25 for conventional motor oil.