Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Side tower tow points

McMiller

Has anyone used this new side mount point yet?  What is the advantage?  Does it help beginners stay outside the wake when getting up on a surf board?   Anyone have better pictures?  Can I adapt it to my 2016 G4 tower?  So many questions.....

side%20tow%20point%20for%20surfing_zpsld

The point is to not be towed. Yes? If you are being towed you suck. If you have to be towed from the side you suck even harder. You are going to pay to suck worse than you already do?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, skyskier said:

The point is to not be towed. Yes? If you are being towed you suck. If you have to be towed from the side you suck even harder. You are going to pay to suck worse than you already do?

I must have every option to help beginners get into the sport with the least amount of pain and struggling.

15 minutes ago, skyskier said:

(cough)....dockstar... (cough)  Sorry, think I may be coming down with a cold or something...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, McMiller said:

Has anyone used this new side mount point yet?  What is the advantage?  Does it help beginners stay outside the wake when getting up on a surf board?   Anyone have better pictures?  Can I adapt it to my 2016 G4 tower?  So many questions.....

side%20tow%20point%20for%20surfing_zpsld

LOL at all the previous comments.... They are there for surfing... for when you are getting up... after your up the rest is up to you... I ride goofy and when initially getting up I can care less what side of the wave I am on and go to my pocket.. for some riders, i have to drop wedge and turn surf system off till they are in their pocket, then I turn surf system on and raise wedge to desire position... with the side mount tow, it puts you in the pocket without having to cross wave... 

30 minutes ago, skyskier said:

31 minutes ago, skyskier said:

Think of someone who never surfed.

I use a webbing strap and carabiner around the tower to accomplish the same thing (high and to the side tow point).  It makes all the difference in the world for newbs.  I had more newbs go ropeless this season than I've had in the previous five seasons.

• Like 3

For kids I just put the surf rope through the tower opening on the side and then attach it to the tow point in the middle. Sure it shortens the rope a few feet but they don't need a 25' rope anyways.  Seems like a waste to me but then again you have a solid tower, not the square holes like I have on an Axis.  Kudos to you thinking about the noobs though!

7 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I use a webbing strap and carabiner around the tower to accomplish the same thing (high and to the side tow point).  It makes all the difference in the world for newbs.  I had more newbs go ropeless this season than I've had in the previous five seasons.

I am sure you have posted a photo of this before, but can you add one to this thread?  We have a couple people who we have beat our head against the wall trying to get them to surf, and would love something that might help.

15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Sorry, no pics. 

This strap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A7XV50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This carabiner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R87XTTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You just slip it around the tower and hook your rope in the carabiner.

Thanks.  Any trouble with it marring the tower?

37 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Almost certainly this would twist an illusion tower right off the boat :whistle: but another benefit would be that the rope wouldn't rub on the trailing edge of the bimini.  I need a new top because of that.

I need a new bimini as well, but I'm one of those guys that hasn't really had a problem with my Illusion.  It could handle a pull from there couldn't it?

1 minute ago, Molarbu said:

I need a new bimini as well, but I'm one of those guys that hasn't really had a problem with my Illusion.  It could handle a pull from there couldn't it?

I think we're the only 2.  

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

I think we're the only 2.  

My Illusion is new to me but is completely rock solid.  I was prepared for problems but since buying the boat can't figure out why it gets so much hate.....

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

My Illusion is new to me but is completely rock solid.  I was prepared for problems but since buying the boat can't figure out why it gets so much hate.....

:plus1:

I've had to repair the rack threads (steel bolts into aluminum threads) but it is otherwise solid and stable.

On 9/20/2016 at 4:00 PM, shawndoggy said:

Maybe your success rate is due to the Axis pulling the newbs... Just sayin :biggrin: