Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Massive difference between 03-05?

Levi900RR

Hey guys / girls, I know I'm all over the place all the time on this. 

BUT!!! It's fun to talk / think about. 

How much bigger feeling is an 05 VLX going to be for me. Also, is it going to be any better in the chop? I've been reading / looking at the differences. Looks like 6" in length, 5" in width and the V25 hull vs the SV23. Which has 4" more draft. Wondering if that is in the dead rise? or freeboard?

Anyone have some first hand experience going from an SV23 to a V25? Is it a good upgrade? I've received a few pretty silly offers on my boat and it looks like for a relatively small investment I could jump up to an 05-06 VLX which would keep me in the same lift / storage solution etc... Keep in mind, I'm in it for the surfing / wakeboarding / cruising on my pretty big lake. 

Thoughts? 

I just traded my 2000 sunsetter in on an 07 VLX this past weekend.  Every single thing about the wake is better.. surf wake is easily twice what I had before,  and at 24mph at 75ft the wake for wake boarding is super clean and very predictable with plenty of pop to send it out into the flats if you want.   Not to mention all the extra space inside! 

3 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

Wake and wave capability will be much better as I'm sure you know but a massive upgrade on interior space?  Not IMHO.  An 04 23 LSV is what I'd be looking for.  

Looks like I can do that, and keep my current lift etc... Not a bad idea. 

from the lens of someone with a 23' (or 24 1/2' in @Ndawg12's case) boat it's not going to feel like a big change, but back when I had a vride and a friend had an 05 vlx, the feel in the boat was significant.  It's bigger for sure.  A ton bigger?  no.  but it's noticeable.

That's true, there is no mention of surfgate and no photos of the rear but I find it hard to believe someone would skip that essential option when splurging on other non essentials like alloy wheels on the trailer and Sound Pack 2....but I've been wrong before.  Great question...almost makes me want to call the guy up and ask, lol.

14 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

from the lens of someone with a 23' (or 24 1/2' in @Ndawg12's case) boat it's not going to feel like a big change, but back when I had a vride and a friend had an 05 vlx, the feel in the boat was significant.  It's bigger for sure.  A ton bigger?  no.  but it's noticeable.

:plus1: I had a vRide as well and a buddy with an 05vlx.  The difference was noticeable at best, certainly not "massive" imho.  The price delta between an 05 to vlx compared to a 23lsv is so small that if I were looking to upgrade based mainly on interior space then an 04 23lsv (first year of the bigger hull) would be my focus.  I still feel its the best bang for your buck to get into a "bigger" boat.

Edited by Ndawg12

05/06 were sortof the heyday of the "classic" malibu.  Nice boats with simpler/reliable electronics (the "axis of malibus").  I'd strongly prefer a T3 tower over the illusion (mostly for tower speaker placement, but a little bit for vanity) and maybe an 05 over an 06 (to get round-gauge perfect pass vs. malibu-cruise) but then you give up the option (curse?) of the 1st gen power wedge.

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

05/06 were sortof the heyday of the "classic" malibu.  Nice boats with simpler/reliable electronics (the "axis of malibus").  I'd strongly prefer a T3 tower over the illusion (mostly for tower speaker placement, but a little bit for vanity) and maybe an 05 over an 06 (to get round-gauge perfect pass vs. malibu-cruise) but then you give up the option (curse?) of the 1st gen power wedge.

hmmm, I've never had a problem with malibu cruise, never thought it was inferior to my buddies 05 with perfect pass, I liked (and still like) how it's integrated, rather than a separate gauge that looks like an add-on, jmo.  Also upping to 06 negates much of the damper plate concerns.  Power wedge is great when it works, I fricken hate mine right now!!!

Edited by Ndawg12

Gel scheme on the 06+ is better, imo. The damper plate issue in the 05 is also a consideration.

My cruise works fine. It handles bidnizz. 

And - if you go with a 23', you'll never, ever, everevereverever... go back to a 21' boat.
Ever.

• Like 2
On 9/21/2016 at 1:07 PM, ibelonginprison said:

Gel scheme on the 06+ is better, imo. The damper plate issue in the 05 is also a consideration.

My cruise works fine. It handles bidnizz. 

And - if you go with a 23', you'll never, ever, everevereverever... go back to a 21' boat.
Ever.

Agree about the size, 23' is more than I need but I love it. I have a 2003 wakesetter 23LSV but I think it's got the V25 Diamond compared to your V25 hull, so I can't say much about the hull. I can say your wake at 65" is LEGIT. I need some extra weight

18 minutes ago, norcal210 said:

Agree about the size, 23' is more than I need but I love it. I have a 2003 wakesetter 23LSV but I think it's got the V25 Diamond compared to your V25 hull, so I can't say much about the hull. I can say your wake at 65" is LEGIT. I need some extra weight

My wave is all washed out at 65" :whistle:

@Levi900RR i'm on the way to burliington right now, can meet up to have my wife talk to yours about the slalom boat.

You need to sort out one boat at a time man. Seems you're as bad as me, I am already pressing to upgrade the vtx to a lsv with surf gate