Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

break failure

90oldskool

Ya right the brakes failed.  Hmmmm  Both the hydraulic and the emergency brakes failed at the same time?   

What are the odds of having a multi system failure?   ;)    More like forgot to set the emergency brake and left it in gear....  

Bet that put a damper on such a beautiful day.   

Edited by ORMailbuboater

Maybe floating is wrong term.  I'm thinking if if the truck and trailer had some momentum built up, the truck may not have floated, but would have taken some amount of time to 'sink'.  Maybe just a second or two, and maybe that was enough time   Is the cubic footage of the cab of that truck posted somewhere   It would give an idea of how much air was at least initially trapped in that cab which would have provided some amount of bouyancy for at least some period of time 

Also, it is possible the truck/trailer combo began to rotate prior to actually entering the drink.  

Edited by RTS

I doubt it, but who knows. Here is my amateur accident reconstruction. Truck was parked and rolled nose first into water, when truck hit water it slowed quickly locking up the trailer brakes leaving those skids in second picture then continued straight into water.

It is nearly impossible to have a full brake failure since the piston in the proportioning valve slides on a busted line and puts all brake pressure to the other axle.

2nd gens don't really float, I've had mine old one in tell water came in the air box, intake is about 6 inches down from top of passenger fender,   4" lift on 35's it was in deep, also I think the marks might be from the truck pulling it out.

Story I got from the guy winching the truck/trailer out was the breaks gave way backing the trailer in . The Dodge owers main priority was to get his wife and child (which was in a car seat) out before the truck went under. The boat was still connected by the front strap, helping everything do a 180. Everyone did make it out safe.

@oldjeep is right, skid marks were from the winch truck to get things started. 

Edited by 90oldskool
2 hours ago, 90oldskool said:

The Dodge owers main priority was to get his wife and child (which was in a car seat) out before the truck went under.

Holy Crap!  My first thought is I am glad he got them out.  My second thought is what a fool for having a kid strapped into a car seat while backing a boat down a ramp.  Bet that won't happen again.  Jeez...gives me the willies thinking about what must have been going through his mind when the rig started going into the water.

I launch solo with my three year old daughter all the time.  I put her life jacket on and have her sit beside me in the front seat before I back down the ramp.  Then at the bottom I take her out put her in the boat, unhook the boat from the trailer, hop in the boat and back it up to the dock.  Then take her with me to retrieve the truck.  I drive a 3500 Cummins with 6spd manual, no way in hell would I trust the parking brake cable and engine compression even in 1st to hold the truck with anybody in it.  Freaks me out even empty on steep ramps.  I'm actually going to get a collapsible chock to stick in the door pocket for the steeper ramps.  

• Like 1