Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
jjt23

Purchasing 2013 or Newer Axis

Recommended Posts

jjt23

Hi everyone.  Currently we own an I/O ski board and looking to get our first inboard as we have been getting into wake-boarding and want to start wake-surfing.  After a lot of researching and looking we have decided on a Malibu / Axis.  We want a good wake and surf boat without breaking the bank so we settled on the Axis line.  We have a 10' x 24' slip dock so we are looking at a 22' foot boat.  Want the surf gate so 2013 or newer.

My questions are:

  • What are big differences between the A22 and T22? (Obliviously the bow but what else).
  • What are the improvements / changes in the last few years on the A22 and T22?
  • Any specific years to stay away from?
  • Any specific issues to look out for?
  • Is there a difference in the surf wave between the A22 and the T22?
  • Thoughts on new vs used?  Looks like like a 2 - 3 year used boat is only going to save around 5 - 10K.  Is this about right?
  • Can you get a good used 2013 - 2014 for under 50K?

Any other tips and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!  Looking forward to joining the Malibu / Axis family.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Pnwrider

Axis didn't get surf gate until 2014. A22 got a new hull in 2015. The new boats have a much longer warranty (5 years) if that is a concern. Big difference between a and t is bow as you mentioned. The t has more cabin space and a shorter bow. A has a little smaller cabin and a wider and longer bow. As far as pricing, check onlyinboards.com it will give you a good idea of national pricing as it varies based on region. 

Share this post


Link to post
jjt23

So Malibu got the surf gate in 2013 but Axis didn't get it until 2014?

What is the difference in the new hull in the 2015 A22 vs the 2014?  Is it recommended to stay away from the 2014 A22 hull?

I have seen a few build sheets with MRSP.  How much of a discount do you typically get off of MSRP?

Share this post


Link to post
Pnwrider

Correct, axis got surf gate one model year after malibu. 

A demo boat is one a dealer used to take people out on or used to pull pro tour events on the area. So essentially a boat the dealer used for promotions, etc.

As far as difference between hulls on a22, you can search the site or maybe someone better in tune with axis will chime in, but if it were me, I would be looking at a 15+ a22 if the difference is only a few grand. I believe it was 2016 axis went to a 5 year warranty as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
nitrous1

I have a T22, we chose the "T" because it has more room behind the windshield, because we rarely use the bow area and we went new because it was very little savings for going used. 

Share this post


Link to post
jjt23
6 minutes ago, nitrous1 said:

I have a T22, we chose the "T" because it has more room behind the windshield, because we rarely use the bow area and we went new because it was very little savings for going used. 

We are leaning toward the "T" for this reason as well.  What was the final price on your 2016 T22?

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

For 2017 15% off is a good deal. Probably more with a holdover 2016. 

Share this post


Link to post
jjt23

I got additional details on the 'demo' boats.  They are boats which they rent out to customers.  By the day or hour.  Thoughts on these?  A boat which 10 - 20 different people have used and limited information about what they did with them doesn't sound very appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter

Typically "demo" and "rental" mean two different things, apparently not in this case.  I wouldn't be too concerned if the hours are very low <50hr, and you have plenty of warranty left.

2015 A22 significantly improved the surf wave, but both '14 and '15 have excellent wakeboard waves.  2016 is the first year for 5 year warranty. 2017 has a new dash, with surfband remote, and some other minor changes.  After 2015 the hull differences are slight on A22 vs T22, but 2014 T22 surfed much better than a 2014 A22.

for 2017 15% off of an Axis would be an exceptional deal.  2016s will be easier to get a discount right now.  Axis has thinner margins than Malibu for the dealer, so they are less expensive, but less haggle room as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
That Guy

We also purchased a T22 for the larger lounge area, plus it's cheaper than the A22!

Share this post


Link to post
jjt23

What is the max % off MSRP (sticker price) you guys have seen a dealer give on an Axis?

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter

Those both look like really good prices.

Share this post


Link to post
jjt23

Did the hull change between 2015 and 2016 on the Axis T22?

How does a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV compare to a 2014 / 2015 Axis T22?  How is the surf wake on the LSV?

How many hours is too many for a 2013?

Share this post


Link to post
BlackBluMalibu

23 LSV Surf wave is VERY good IMHO. I would not be too concerned with hours as long as it has been well maintained.  I have 1280 hours on my 13 23 LSV. I have had no issues but a few electrical gremlins early in. Engine is running strong. I change oil and filter every 50 hours since delivery in February  2013. I have the Indmar Monsoon 350 and have been pushing 4000lbs of ballast Plus average 5 people for surf and about 2000lbs plus people for wakeboarding. Monsoon has been problem free. Good luck with your decision!

Share this post


Link to post
That Guy
1 hour ago, jjt23 said:

Did the hull change between 2015 and 2016 on the Axis T22?

How does a 2013 Malibu 23 LSV compare to a 2014 / 2015 Axis T22?  How is the surf wake on the LSV?

How many hours is too many for a 2013?

No change to the hull from 14 to 15 on a T22.

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

The T22 hull is the same since inception in 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On 9/18/2016 at 9:18 PM, jjt23 said:

So Malibu got the surf gate in 2013 but Axis didn't get it until 2014?

What is the difference in the new hull in the 2015 A22 vs the 2014?  Is it recommended to stay away from the 2014 A22 hull?

I have seen a few build sheets with MRSP.  How much of a discount do you typically get off of MSRP?

Isn't the 15+ a22 the one having problems with stringer displacement and the resulting hull cracks, with none I have read for 2014 A any length.  Best to have the 16 with 5 yr warranty, 14+ ? has 1 year, cheapest axis for surfing was the 2014 a series in the base white color black fat ax tower no more cheap ones unless you order a stripped white.  Also the older slower surfgate rams and electrical system from 2014 seem to me more reliable from forum posts as they are the debugged 2013 Malibu rams after all factory fixes prior to 9/2013 when ordering started for 14 axis surfgate orders

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter
15 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Isn't the 15+ a22 the one having problems with stringer displacement and the resulting hull cracks, with none I have read for 2014 A any length.  Best to have the 16 with 5 yr warranty, 14+ ? has 1 year, cheapest axis for surfing was the 2014 a series in the base white color black fat ax tower no more cheap ones unless you order a stripped white.  Also the older slower surfgate rams and electrical system from 2014 seem to me more reliable from forum posts as they are the debugged 2013 Malibu rams after all factory fixes prior to 9/2013 when ordering started for 14 axis surfgate orders

No issues with the stringers on my 15 or 16 and ran plenty of weighted double ups.  There has been some reliability issues on the faster 2015 surfgate rams, but they are covered under warranty.  

Share this post


Link to post
elc

I've owned 2 a22's, 2010 and 2015. the 2010 was a great boat the wakeboard wake was excellent on that boat and not sensitive side to side at all. the vinyl wasn't great but it lasted. I put 550 hours on that boat before I got the 2015. the 2015 is a different boat; new hull, new interior, new engine, new transmission. 2015 is a little more sensitive side to side but is super easy to surf and still throws a great wakeboard wake. I personally like the bow in the A series but thats just personal preference.  

Share this post


Link to post
kano
On 1 October 2016 at 9:31 AM, elc said:

I've owned 2 a22's, 2010 and 2015. the 2010 was a great boat the wakeboard wake was excellent on that boat and not sensitive side to side at all. the vinyl wasn't great but it lasted. I put 550 hours on that boat before I got the 2015. the 2015 is a different boat; new hull, new interior, new engine, new transmission. 2015 is a little more sensitive side to side but is super easy to surf and still throws a great wakeboard wake. I personally like the bow in the A series but thats just personal preference.  

Malibu and Axis boats for the Australian market are built in Australia. We can only order the T22 and A20 in the Axis range. They'll build an A22 as a special order, however it is the old 2010 A22 hull. Did the wet surface change on USA build A22s from 2010 - 2016 or just the deck?

Here's an Aussie build 2014 A22 with Surfgate. Would this boat surf as good as a 2014 - 2016 T22? It's not that much cheaper than a T22. 

http://www.northsidemarine.com.au/view_listings/used-boats/2014-axis-a22-indmar-monsoon-350-salt-pack

Share this post


Link to post
Ridebutter

The T22 is going to surf better than the old hull A22.   Here in the states the 2015 A22 changed completely, running surface and deck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...