Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Older ski boat

DAC

I am looking for an older, dedicated ski only boat (maybe some footing, but secondary).  Looking for a 96-02 Response LX, 96-01 Nautique, or 92-95 Prostar.  Any others I should consider? 

Closed is fine, this will be boat #2.  I picked those years cause i read an article somewhere that said they had great ski wakes, and have gotten similar feedback from some of the dealers I talk to.

1 hour ago, DAC said:

Closed is fine, this will be boat #2.  I picked those years cause i read an article somewhere that said they had great ski wakes, and have gotten similar feedback from some of the dealers I talk to.

Sub 13k, a 91-94 Prostar 190 should be pretty attainable.  Biased as I have a 94, but the wake is awesome and unless you are skiing 38 off, spray off the boat will not be an issue.  93 EFI was an option, 94 it was standard

CIMG0991_zps9il0a6lk.jpg

97+ Nautique 196 would be the next step up but might be tougher to find under 13k.  I ski behind one often and the wake is as good or better than my 190, but it really shines behind the wheel - so easy to drive

98 or 99 Response with the Diamond hull is another option but again, might not fit in your budget

Edited by dtm8119
  • Like 2

You will probably have a good experience with any of the boats mentioned.  I prefer fuel injection for reliable starts on cold mornings.  Also heat.  Newer perfect pass is really nice, another thing that can be added but factor in the cost when looking around.   93-94 Prostar with LT1 and powerslot transmission are great, but bubble butt Nautiques too (TSC).  

BTW, you will look pretty ridiculous with a VTX and DD ski boat.  Your guests will all say "I thought you HAD a ski boat" or "why not a pontoon" ?  Good luck in your search.

2 hours ago, River Monsters said:

BTW, you will look pretty ridiculous with a VTX and DD ski boat.  Your guests will all say "I thought you HAD a ski boat" or "why not a pontoon" ?  Good luck in your search.

Reaction for us was a little different, more like, "ok we are hanging out here from now on!"

• Like 3

@DAC:  Generally considered one of the best combo ski + barefoot hulls is the original SV23 which will include Echelon, Response variants.  IMO the SV23 hull foots better than either the MC or CC hulls and skis equally well.  The CC196 & PS190 (correct years only, so research carefully) do have very good slalom wakes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 9:46 AM, Woodski said:

@DAC:  Generally considered one of the best combo ski + barefoot hulls is the original SV23 which will include Echelon, Response variants.  IMO the SV23 hull foots better than either the MC or CC hulls and skis equally well.  The CC196 & PS190 (correct years only, so research carefully) do have very good slalom wakes.

I agree. I still have my 98 Response that I ordered new for the same reason. The MC and CC hulls are comparable to the Response SV23 hull for slalom. The CC was not my favorite at 34 MPH @ 22 off. Pretty firm rooster tail. The Malibu is a lot better than either one of those for barefooting. The wake table is flatter and firmer with a better crest shape for wake crossing. The CC an MC have a "ditch" in the middle of the barefoot wake that is cross-able but not great.  

I'd rank the listed ski boat wakes for -15' to -22' at 32-34 mph in this order:

1) 2000 to 2001 SN (above your 13K price range)

2) SN 1997 to 1999 bubble butt 

2) Response CB or LX

3) MC190

4) 1996 SN

The SN with the GT40 motor will give you HP for footing, and fuel injection.  Not sure what year Malibu or MC went with FI, but I would put that on my list of needed items. 

www.ski-it-again.com is a great site to look for ski boats.