Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Previous Mastercraft owner looking for help

lukedeuce

Looking to get some advice from Malibu owners - I sold my 83 1/2 Mastercraft at the beginning of this season in search of a more family friendly boat, i.e. pontoon. fast forward through the season to last weekend out with friends and my wife and I have essentially become bored with this boat. As a Mastercraft passed us, we both looked at each other and decided we have to come back to an inboard.

Couple quick minutes of discussion and we came up with a budget of roughly 30k. I am looking all brands as i feel we can get more boat with another MFG over Mastercraft, albeit i would prefer MC.

I am not too well versed in Malibu models, and that i what i am looking to the forum for help on. We are looking at boats that would be "jack of all trades, master of none". I ski, but am not chasing buoys, wakeboard, but just a novice, would like to get in to surfing, and (unfortunately) will be pulling a tube. Open bow is a must as well as v-drive for space.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Certain size you are looking for?  

I just sold our 2003 Wakesetter VLX for about 27k.  You might be able to get an 05 in that model for around your budget.  If you look at a smaller boat like the VTX you can probably afford more.  The guys on here will help you find something.  They helped me find ours...just need it to be delivered :-)

1 hour ago, lukedeuce said:

Curious to see pictures and stats on boat

Look up my threads for 05 Sunscape (21 LSV). Exactly your price point and Jack of all trades, master of none.

Welcome to the crew!

the ultimate sweet spot would be the 2004 Sunscape 21LSV. 

It skis Very well. If optioned properly, will throw a great wakeboard wake and even surf

I say 2004 because it is the year it gained the Gorilla Tracking fins, which really made a significant driving difference 

This body style was available 2002-2004 

On 9/18/2016 at 4:53 PM, lukedeuce said:

Looking to get some advice from Malibu owners - I sold my 83 1/2 Mastercraft at the beginning of this season in search of a more family friendly boat, i.e. pontoon. fast forward through the season to last weekend out with friends and my wife and I have essentially become bored with this boat. As a Mastercraft passed us, we both looked at each other and decided we have to come back to an inboard.

Couple quick minutes of discussion and we came up with a budget of roughly 30k. I am looking all brands as i feel we can get more boat with another MFG over Mastercraft, albeit i would prefer MC.

I am not too well versed in Malibu models, and that i what i am looking to the forum for help on. We are looking at boats that would be "jack of all trades, master of none". I ski, but am not chasing buoys, wakeboard, but just a novice, would like to get in to surfing, and (unfortunately) will be pulling a tube. Open bow is a must as well as v-drive for space.

How big of a boat are you looking for?  How many people are typically out with you?  

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

How big of a boat are you looking for?  How many people are typically out with you?  

Wife and kid plus anywhere from 2-6 friends. 21 and up is what I'm thinking. It's gonna be hard coming from a 24 1/2 ft pontoon but a well laid out floor plan and storage is what I'm after

5 hours ago, windy1 said:

don't know where your located but my 04 wakesetter just went on the market for $26,000

I'm in Iowa, but not afraid to travel. Mind sending me pictures and specifics to my email? [email protected]

On 9/18/2016 at 2:53 PM, lukedeuce said:

Older VLX, I-Ride, X Star, X-2, X-1, 205 or Nauti is what I would be looking for. All of them are in the same price point and all of them are very nice boats. 

Unless you really care about skiing I'd look for a 23' boat.  I love mine and I don't even have kids.  I like being able to invite as many friends as possible and if you're used to a pontoon you wont feel cramped. 

If you want a boat do to multiple sports you have to decide which sports you want to compromise on.  I free ski my 23 lsv all the time but since I have access to ski boats I didn't care how well my boat skied.  Turns out it's still pretty fun to ski at a fast speed and 15 or 20 off.  Someone recently brought up the point that if you're teaching kids to ski and going slow my big wake may not be user friendly.  I haven't tested that yet and never considered it when I was buying.  I was more concerned with maintenance history and condition of a used boat than the make or model.  

Here are the boats I considered. 

MC 205v, x1, x2 - great ski and wakeboard wake, sub par surfing, small cabin 

Nautique 210, great ski and wakeboard wake, even worse surfing even smaller cabin

MC x10, ok ski wake, good wake board and ok surfing better rough water ride but no tracking fins so worse handling. 

MC x15- really roomy for 21' boat, skis ok, good wakeboard and surf wake.  I couldn't find one in my budget. 

2004 Malibu 23 lsv, skis ok, great for wakeboard and surfing, tons of room inside. I don't regret my purchase at all.  

2003 malibu 23 lsv better skiing than 04 but the cabin is smaller and it wont surf as well.  2004 was the first year of the wake hull for this boat. 

MC x30 - I'm not sure how they ski, good wakeboard and surfing - no tracking fins but deeper hull than 23lsv, worse handling but better rough water ride. 

Unless you're a die hard skier and don't have access to a ski boat I think you should look at the vlx, 21lsv, 23lsv and x30.   I don't have any experience with the vride or the vtx.  

On 9/23/2016 at 9:41 AM, Levi900RR said:

I'll sell you my Sunscape 21 LSV for 30K...

C7973883-9460-4327-A1EB-D6B11441F089.jpg 

DSC_2825.jpg

B3B9D8D5-F72F-4F95-9A3E-913780F2C126.jpg

This boat looks great.  It is listed anywhere?  I was curious about the details, options hours etc.