Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ECU?

I was on the lake today after pulling two barefooters and a slalomer the LCD screen was flashing ECU. I shut down the engine and opened the hood. Everything looked ok. I started it again and the LCD wasn't flashing anymore. Does anyone know what the ECU is and what the problem was.

Some of the older ECU's  are getting hard to find. Like RTS said I hope the restart ( Reboot for the ECU ) is a fix. If not you could try removing the positive cable from the battery that will defiantly do a reboot. Leave it off for  five minutes.  

What year and model boat? On some years when the dash lost communication with the engine control unit the display would just say "ECU". Others actually say "Lost Communication with ECU". Some cases it's just a glitch, some times a connector is flakey and other times the display is going bad. I had the digital display go bad on my 2009 Response LXI the year after we bought it. The display was saying "Lost Communication" about every 3rd start then died. Luckily it was under warranty. On my 2002 Sunsetter the Gage's would go dead on occasion and traced it to a loose connection. 

There is one wire that runs from the ECU  (electronic control unit),  that turns on the hour meter on your dash with a 5 volt signal.  If the dash see's RPM's for the tach and no signal for the hour meter it displays "ECU".  Perhaps nothing more than a poor connection in your engine to dash cannon plug.  You can not reboot a 2005 ECU, but you can have a dealer rewrite to it.