Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to convince the wife?

jrvs23

No, its not what your thinking. :innocent: Nor do I want to buy a new boat. I want a sky ski! I have been thinking about it for a long time. I made the mistake of showing her a video of some of you guys doing some craziness and she freaked out thinking I will be broken in no time. She doesn't realize that skiing at 34 mph I could be broken quickly too. I'm looking for a new discipline and one that I don't need perfect water for. Surfing doesn't really excite me and I wouldn't need to change anything on the boat except add a tower down the road. My birthday is next week and I need to convince her it's a perfect gift. Any help from TMC is always greatly appreciated!

I made a deal with my wife. I get a sky ski, and "we" get a dog.  Turns out our oldest daughter is allergic to dogs :whistle: Thankfully I have a great wife, and therefore a pretty nice sky ski.

As still a relative noob on the foil. It wont bang you up that much for a long time. You wont be jumping 20 fee the first season.

• Like 1

Show her video's of people that aren't idiots on them so she thinks they are safe. You'll wear a helmet and follow all safety precautions. 

Once you buy on she'll realize what an idiot you can be on one in no time. 

I got injured wakeboarding.  The doctor asked how did you hurt your knee, I answered wakeboarding.  

If you get injured on a foil, what do you tell the Doctor?

I have something even better than a foil.  A friend w/ a foil!  Since I don't really need my knee for it I've ridden it a few times this summer w/ a brace on.  I'm not very good but the learning crashes aren't too bad.  Once you start jumping, all bets are off I suppose.  I can't really jump yet and I won't intentionally jump until I'm healed anyway.  Hauling that thing around is a PITA though.  Get a foil rack asap if you do it.  

• Like 1

Some good ideas here so far. I figured the general consensus would be to just ask for forgiveness after. I have trouble asking for that since I'm never wrong :whistle:. It also leads to her doing more of whatever she wants which is a dangerous slippery slope.

Injuries on a foil are no more common than any other dicipline. Your strapped on it so it can't hit you. Your going slower than slalom or barefoot.. Sometimes in the beginning slower than wakeboarding. I've been teaching guys this summer at 11 - 14 mph. Crashes at 14 mph are a piece of cake. The sense of flight is so cool. Almost no drag, you can't even feel the choppy water as you ride over it. Women and kids usually do really well on a foil. Its a finesse sport , not so much strength required. And inverted tricks aren't a regular thing with them.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 2

I think the worst part is learning to jump, I invested lots of Face time on that, But other than a rupture eardrum it's been really safe! I rode one the other day, It's been like 12 years, a little rusty but it all came back to me, 

• Like 2

I bought an inexpensive foil and worked my way up by buying and selling.  Has worked out well for me.  I got into it on a shoestring budget but now that I know I love it, It is easier to spend the money to upgrade.  Lots of foilers will advise against getting into the sport the way I did but it was worked out well for me.

3 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

If I wanted one, I would go buy one.  What's with the permission thing?  As long as you paid your portion of the bills and are putting back your portion of retirement, why is this even a question?

Because this is a democracy!!  

can you get out with some friend and try it out??

of course it could backfire if you eat ish, but then u just saved $1k minimum 

Ah, the VS catalog worked...

For what it's worth, we were out to dinner with that same guy and his wife. While we were walking out to the car, he looked at her and said, "I'm having sex tonight, I do hope it's with you." Seems he gets away with a lot.

• Like 1