Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Running engine out of Water

Hello, I just want to say how great this forum is.  I was going to hire mechanic to trouble shoot my starting issue but after reading a few threads it was the starter.  Changed it myself and now boat is running great.  I have a 2002 indmar 325hp 357 XTI 23.  Love the seating arrangement on this boat.  Need to know where to hook up water hose to this engine to flush motor.  Been reading / searching thread but can't find any pictures.  This way next time I work on boat don't have to pull it to lake just to see if it runs vs just starting it on my driveway.  Just don't want to put holes in wrong location and screw up motor.  Thank 

So I need the fake a lake and attach the plunger piece to the hole closest to the prop.  

Then the water hose attaches to the rubber part.  Am going to buy the fake a lake and try it.  

Thanks

12 hours ago, Long said:

So I need the fake a lake and attach the plunger piece to the hole closest to the prop.  

Then the water hose attaches to the rubber part.  Am going to buy the fake a lake and try it.  

Thanks

Be careful when using the fake a lake. Moving around in the boat can bounce the trailer and dislodge the fake a lake. If using the perko, be wary as someone may park a car on the water supply hose or it gets kinked or collapses and you have a problem.   The idea is to keep a close eye on the water coming out of the exhaust and the engine temp.     

Poor guy is gonna be so confused with all the suggestions.  Fake lake, make sure it is has a good fit.  I always have my daugther or wife start the boat while I watch the fake lake & make sure water is flowing & the pole is secure so it doesn't come off.  Mine stays pretty sturdy while I crawl around the boat but I don't jump up & down in there by any means.  Also watch your temp gauge & make sure water is coming out of the exhaust after a few minutes.  

4 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Poor guy is gonna be so confused with all the suggestions.  Fake lake, make sure it is has a good fit.  I always have my daugther or wife start the boat while I watch the fake lake & make sure water is flowing & the pole is secure so it doesn't come off.  Mine stays pretty sturdy while I crawl around the boat but I don't jump up & down in there by any means.  Also watch your temp gauge & make sure water is coming out of the exhaust after a few minutes.  

Good to have someone watch it, especially if you have a single axle trailer and/or a tow vehicle that is way undersized as the suspension will tend to move around more.

Got it thanks everyone!  Order the fake a lake today from Amazon.  My boat is direct drive so the input hole is almost centered on bottom.  Let me see how it works.  Thanks for the hint on making sure hose is free from any restrictions.  I've also read that fake a lake is only good in neutral.  If it doesn't work or keep falling off,  going to make my own like dalt1.  No more pulling boat to lake just to test something out.

1 hour ago, Long said:

Got it thanks everyone!  Order the fake a lake today from Amazon.  My boat is direct drive so the input hole is almost centered on bottom.  Let me see how it works.  Thanks for the hint on making sure hose is free from any restrictions.  I've also read that fake a lake is only good in neutral.  If it doesn't work or keep falling off,  going to make my own like dalt1.  No more pulling boat to lake just to test something out.

Just realize that if you make what dalt1 did that you have to close the valve on the through hull water intake or you are just going to be dumping water into the driveway, and don't forget to open it back up before you use the boat.

1 hour ago, Long said:

I've also read that fake a lake is only good in neutral.  

Fak-A-Lak is good in any gear, but unless you want to hear the most God awful noise you have ever heard coming from your cutlass bearing...leave it in neutral when in the driveway...and don't rev it up too much.

10 hours ago, footndale said:

Or unclamp the hose from the pickup hole and put water hose in it.

Do this, ha, but go the local hardware store and get a "barbed male garden hose adapter" (5/8" ?) that screws onto the garden hose, then the barbed end fits tightly to the pick-up hose. Thats the hose that feeds the raw water pick-up from the hole in the bottom of the boat. Mine doesn't leak a drop.

Steve B.

On 9/15/2016 at 4:35 PM, oldjeep said:

Just realize that if you make what dalt1 did that you have to close the valve on the through hull water intake or you are just going to be dumping water into the driveway, and don't forget to open it back up before you use the boat.

Believe it or not, l do not have to close intake valve. Once started, all water runsan  toward pump and nothing goes out intake. I did monitor this very closely 1st couple uses. If closing intake as I did when I first started using it, DON'T FORGET to open it back up after service. 

I can also run boat at idle on the lake with cap off this hookup and not get a drop in bilge. Let's just say, Inquiring minds wanted to know. 

Just now, dalt1 said:

Believe it or not, l do not have to close intake valve. Once started, all water runsan  toward pump and nothing goes out intake. I did monitor this very closely 1st couple uses. If closing intake as I did when I first started using it, DON'T FORGET to open it back up after service. 

I can also run boat at idle on the lake with cap off this hookup and not get a drop in bilge. Let's just say, Inquiring minds wanted to know. 

Makes sense that you could run it with the cap off in the lake since it is in a suction line not a pressure line, although I would think that the pump would be sucking air in through the open cap since it is easier to suck air than water.

Appearantly with the hole at top and heavier water at bottom, it can't overcome the water to suck air down into water stream. You can see the water rushing by the T. May be different story above idle. Don't plan on finding that out. 

It is this very thread that amazes me why boats don't come with a transom mounted water supply inlet.  And a shut-off valve at the hull that presses up against a switch when shut off, that won't let the boat start (or presses a switch only when all the way open).  It could be so simple.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

It is this very thread that amazes me why boats don't come with a transom mounted water supply inlet.  And a shut-off valve at the hull that presses up against a switch when shut off, that won't let the boat start (or presses a switch only when all the way open).  It could be so simple.

Just more stuff to add cost if you put it on every boat.  Transom fitting and Perko flush pro is an option - requires no valves but is plastic so I'm not about to put one on my boat.

Honestly the easiest thing would be to just have the through hull on the bottom be some sort of a female snap lock fitting that you could plug a male fitting into.

• Like 1
Just now, oldjeep said:

Just more stuff to add cost if you put it on every boat.  Transom fitting and Perko flush pro is an option - requires no valves but is plastic so I'm not about to put one on my boat.

Honestly the easiest thing would be to just have the through hull on the bottom be some sort of a female snap lock fitting that you could plug a male fitting into.

I've got the flush pro, and will probably add the transom mount this winter.  It makes it soooo easy.  Had it for several years.

8 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I've got the flush pro, and will probably add the transom mount this winter.  It makes it soooo easy.  Had it for several years.

I've fired mine up on the hose a grand total of twice, so it isn't a frequent occurrence.