Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust getting louder

electricjohn

Although my Malibu season ended today, I noticed my exhaust was getting louder this season.  Engine is at 500 hrs now.  When I get the boat back to NJ, I will look up the thru hulls with a flashlight and see if everything looks normal up there.  It is a bit disappointing to hear the exhaust getting louder when I opted for the silent rider upgrade.  Think this is normal for the age and hours of my boat?  I would like to put Nautique mufflers on my boat if my mufflers are failing.  Those boats are so quiet.

Mine did the same after a winter lay up but it was more of a rattle.  I ended up pulling Silent Rider off and when removed I shook it a few times only to realize that a baffle inside had come apart.  I ended up just going straight hose to output and went with Fresh Air Exhaust and now MUCH quitter than it ever was!

Looking into the thru hulls with a flashlight did not show nothing out of the ordinary, although I did notice water still laying in the bottom of the mufflers.  I will take a closer look in there when I winterize.  This time I was kind of in a hurry getting one boat put away and another ready.  My 1970 Winner just went through a composite rebuild of the transom and floor which was the only wood in the boat.  Trying to get the boat ready in one weekend so I can get back up to the lake.  Boat is now 200 lbs lighter due to the lightweight composites.

I weighed the boat before and after at the restoration place, but the original wood was saltwater saturated after 46 years (3800 hrs) of use. The material used is called Coosa Bluewater and comes in different densities.  He used #26 (lbs/cubic ft) for the transom, and #20 for the floor.  He is located in NC close to the Norfolk VA Navy yard and does a lot of work for them, getting defense contractor prices for all his materials.  How do you mention me in your post, would like to use that feature.