Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PSA- Please read! About your engine!

ConnollyCrew

Just now, Ronnie said:

I'm talking about yearly testing like your vehicles.

Ah.  they tried that here with cars for a few years and then gave it up because it wasn't providing any benefit.  Found out that cars running bad enough to fail the test tended to get killed off by the weather here.  With as many boats as we have here in MN there is no way you could implement something like that.

Edited by oldjeep

Ah.  they tried that here with cars for a few years and then gave it up because it wasn't providing any benefit.  Found out that cars running bad enough to fail the test tended to get killed off by the weather here.  With as many boats as we have here in MN there is no way you could implement something like that.

If emissions testing of cars can be implemented in big states (think CA), I don't see why boats would be hard at all.  Drop in the bucket by comparison.  Though I shudder to think what the "marine version" of a smog test would cost.

19 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Tj, mastercraft has already offerred a diesel.  Aftermarket sources have existed.  My dealer has done multiple conversions to diesel for people who keep theri boats on diesel powered yachts.  They are not desirable powertrains all things being equal.

past tense.  From bastion of clean diesel tech VW. 

Edited by shawndoggy

We have to do emission test on all road vehicles in Texas. Some counties require less tests than others depending on a few factors like population and air quality. Much stronger tests on newer vehicles than old. I can see it started with new boats and older boats being less subject to testing with the thinking that a they will go away with age. But, how many old smoking 2 stroke pontoons are still out there. They are the real polluters on the water.

Just now, Ronnie said:

We have to do emission test on all road vehicles in Texas. Some counties require less tests than others depending on a few factors like population and air quality. Much stronger tests on newer vehicles than old. I can see it started with new boats and older boats being less subject to testing with the thinking that a they will go away with age. But, how many old smoking 2 stroke pontoons are still out there. They are the real polluters on the water.

Not true... My vehicle does not require an emission test, only a safety check.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Guess I better save the CATS I took out of my 2 stroke Wave Runners!  Actually, I doubt testing of non-new boats will ever come to pass in the People's Republics of Minnesota or Wisconsin.  Too many average Joes with old boats up here.  That would bring down the State House!

57 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm talking about yearly testing like your vehicles.

If that were the case, there would be about 16 boats, collectively, that are active on Alabama lakes. 

I recall that thread Engine Nut started, where he wouldn't answer basic questions about the tune of the engine.

The whole "you must hit this WOT RPM range fully loaded or you are under propped" crap is just that, crap.

Excluding an engine lugging situation, the MAP reading vs TPS reading vs RPM should easily allow for a high load, lower RPM situation without any adverse impact on the motor (I'm talking heavy loads in the high 2000 RPM on up range...not full WOT at 1500 and lugging the motor).  It is all in the tune.

RPM range Indmar states doesn't necessarily mean that is what it is.  Rev limiter on my motor is 5800 RPM.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, 67King said:

We (when I was at Ford) put different water pumps on trucks than on cars, even when they had the same engine (4.6's), given the different duty cycles.

Chrysler did the same thing in the '60s and ''70s.  Because of the different pulleys used on the water pump, a car equipped with air conditioning got a different water pump than one without air.  The a/c's cars water pumps spun faster, so a pump was installed that had less impellers. The old hot-rodder's trick was to always install the a/c water pump on your Road Runner or Challenger because it took less power to drive.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...