Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY Barefoot Booom Bar

AndrewSchear

Hello all, I'm planning on making my own barefoot boom for my '83 Skier, but I need some blue prints to follow. I own a machine shop, so I can make virtually anything in-house. The length of tubing, wall thickness and tubing diameter are all unknown to me. If anyone could take the time to get me some specs on their existing aluminum boom it'd be a great help. I'm just going to replicate a production boom. Also the cable diameter would be helpful as well.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

My barefoot international is solid, not tubing. The piece that clamps to the pylon is 2" diameter, the piece with the cables is 1 1/2" diameter. Probably easier to source a second hand boom.

I can take pictures for you. But honestly if I was in your shoes my time is more valuable then saving the 300 bucks for a brand new one.   And if you can find a used one I bet it would be cheaper then the material alone. 

@AndrewSchear:  The outer bar is 1.5" OD and solid, I made an inner bar that is 2" OD and accepts the 1.5" OD bar for the ID and did the S bend so the inner attachment is lower on the boom for step over convenience.  An over center clamp is nice to have and make sure it is vertically adjustable as the height changes with different boat loads and 'victim' heights.  I will have to go do some actual measurements to get bar lengths etc., but the cables are roughly 1/8" - 3/16" although a quick tensile lookup should provide guidance.  There is a spring/ball for bar retention and the cable lengths will be predicated on your specific boom location & boat configuration, most have some sort of SS turnbuckle for adjustment.  Also, the end where you hold are knurled and there is a groove for a handle attachment which I assume you have seen from pictures.