Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cleaning the Bilge

Kmfish87

My bilge is getting a little dirty/greasy and I would like to clean it. I have searched and found that the general consensus is to put some water and some sort of soap/cleaner in the bilge before an outing and letting it slosh around. I plan on putting the plugs in Friday after work and adding a few gallons of water as well as about half a gallon of purpler power cleaner before I take it to the lake for the weekend. I have used this stuff for years cleaning car parts, engines and driveway/garage grease stains and it works really well.

My question is is there any reason I shouldn't use purple power in the bilge of my boat?? It claims to be biodegradable, non-flammable, etc. Purple Power

I have also read where folks put a bag of ice in the bilge to "scrub" the bilge while sloshing around. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

I used something years ago (can't remember if it was simple green or purple power) and it stained/oxidized all of my brass parts (couplers and through-hull hardware.)  Sorry I don't remember which one but I'd probably stick to dish soap, detergent or bilge cleaner!

I use dawn dish soap and a bucket of hot water.  Put the plugs in, fill the bilge, drive around town and go up and down some grade differentials, come home, pull the plugs, drain it and wipe it out with a towel.  Done, and spotless.  Works like a charm.  Don't recall which thread, but I owe this method to another crew member who posted it a few years ago.

Just now, Michigan boarder said:

I remember someone else did the dish soap and let a tennis ball roll around as well.

My luck I would never find the ball and have to listen to it bounce around forever

• Like 2

I used Simple Green and bought a stiff bristled toilet bowl brush. Sprayed liberally and scrubbed. Rinse. Drain. Repeat. Very clean.

This enabled me to scrub the top and ends of fuel tank and center ballast tank, ballast pumps, bilge floor, trans, v-drive, rudder, transom, under oil pan, etc...

Edited by lonestar