Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 VLX wake surfing

VLXLG

Any recommendations on wake surfing setup on a 2004 VLX?  I have stock tanks in back and stock middle tank.  Looking to put 700 to 900 ballast bags in place of tanks.  Wanted to see if anyone has a proven setup.  Thanks!

I have mine pretty dialed in.  All hidden, all Fly High bags:

- 1100's in each locker (they probably only fill to the 900's)
- 300 under the port seat
- 500 in the ski locker
- Bow bag under the bow seats, about 300lbs
- 100lbs of lead in the bow walkway under the filler cushion
- 200lbs of lead in the back, 100 on each side under the rear seats
- Floating wedge
- I have a copy of the Ronix WakeShaper

This will give you one of the better wakes you will ever see out of this hull.  I typically run @ 10.5MPH.  You will need a prop upgrade.  I run a 15" prop.  I also have a custom surf flap, but that's more to fix the splashing issue caused by the FAE I installed.

Thanks guys.  What do you mean by floating wedge?  I have a manual wedge.  Also do you like the FAE system?  I was looking at because of exhaust smell and sound when surfing.  Do you have pictures of you Ronix look a like?  

41 minutes ago, VLXLG said:

Thanks guys.  What do you mean by floating wedge?  I have a manual wedge.  Also do you like the FAE system?  I was looking at because of exhaust smell and sound when surfing.  Do you have pictures of you Ronix look a like?  

FAE is the single best upgrade you will do for that boat!  Made the interior quieter, the exterior quieter, no smell, stereo sounded WAY better.  

15 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

- 500 in the ski locker
- Floating wedge

This will give you one of the better wakes you will ever see out of this hull.  I typically run @ 10.5MPH.  You will need a prop upgrade.  I run a 15" prop.  I also have a custom surf flap, but that's more to fix the splashing issue caused by the FAE I installed.

Im pretty sure we have the same hull, you must be slammed in the water, how much freeboard is left?

43 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

Im pretty sure we have the same hull, you must be slammed in the water, how much freeboard is left?

When I was that slammed, not much left.  But you drive careful, don't sac out in chop & pay attention.  I dunked the nose a couple of times.  

1 hour ago, Choiceind said:

Sitting still the rub rail is slightly above the water.  Our water is fairly calm.  We rarely take water over the bow or sides and only due to other close boaters. I could probably go a little heavier without concern and have plenty of power to spare.

I run about the same, 1100's in the back with a stock bag in the center and roughly 350-400lb in lead in the nose but no wedge. 

I run a suction cup style wave shaper we built, but run it about 18"-2' from the back of the hull. 

On 9/13/2016 at 3:10 AM, Nitrousbird said:

- 500 in the ski locker
- Floating wedge

@nitrousbird The bag in the bow, is that the Fly High 650# bag? Under the seats?

Henrik

Edited by henrik
1 hour ago, henrik said:

@nitrousbird The bag in the bow, is that the Fly High 650# bag? Under the seats?

Henrik

Hey Henrick.

My hull is basically the same and I have the same setup as nitrous - and we both have found abut the same sweet spot.  No surprise.  The only differences are that I have 240 lbs. of shot in the bow (plus the Fly High 650), no lead in the back and no surf side bag for listing - but I have surf gates so I run a bit flatter.  I agree with nitrous that we probably get only 300 to 350 in the W711 bow bag (with the seat cushions popping up - so not totally hidden).  With the gates you don't need as much weight so I don't fill the 1100s full.  Depending on the surfers preference we fill to different levels.  Bottom line, you can get a good surf wake out of the 21.5 hull.

2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Hey Henrick.

My hull is basically the same and I have the same setup as nitrous - and we both have found abut the same sweet spot.  No surprise.  The only differences are that I have 240 lbs. of shot in the bow (plus the Fly High 650), no lead in the back and no surf side bag for listing - but I have surf gates so I run a bit flatter.  I agree with nitrous that we probably get only 300 to 350 in the W711 bow bag (with the seat cushions popping up - so not totally hidden).  With the gates you don't need as much weight so I don't fill the 1100s full.  Depending on the surfers preference we fill to different levels.  Bottom line, you can get a good surf wake out of the 21.5 hull.

Thanks for the reply. Our boat is 21', same as Nitrousbird, yours is the next generation I believe. 

I have 750's in the back, stock center and will put 1 400# bag on top of the seats in the bow if we don't have people. It does ok with that and is about as much I'm comfortable with now. Pocket is short but we can all surf. I made a knock off delta surf gate that has helped a lot. I prefer that over the 'old' style I attached to the swim deck, it made it impossible to steer the boat!

I'm thinking of adding the bow bag, keep the 400 # bags for when we don't have enough human ballast and move/fill in different spots of the boat to see what happens. Half the fun is experimenting still. I do get to ride every once in a while!!!

Hi

We had a 2004 VLX up until last season, we changed the two rear hard tanks to 750lbs fly high sacks (wake makers tank buster kit) but you will need anti syphon loop and vacuum breaker (we made our own) We would surf with both 750's full centre full plus DIY gate, few people sat on the surf side and no addition sacs in the bow etc, results were fantastic! We had to run the oil level up a bit to the O in operating level! 

See the pics below

thumb_Screen%20Shot%202015-08-16%20at%20

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-05%20at%2008.30.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-05%20at%2014.17.

thumb_P1030931_1024.jpg?dl=0

thumb_P1040490_1024.jpg?dl=0

thumb_P1040499_1024.jpg?dl=0

Edited by 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
1 hour ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

Hi

We had a 2004 VLX up until last season, we changed the two rear hard tanks to 750lbs fly high sacks (wake makers tank buster kit) but you will need anti syphon loop and vacuum breaker (we made our own) We would surf with both 750's full centre full plus DIY gate, few people sat on the surf side and no addition sacs in the bow etc, results were fantastic! We had to run the oil level up a bit to the O in operating level! 

See the pics below

Great pictures!  Thanks for the feedback.  I am looking at making an automatic wake gate like the new Malibu's have.  Did your help with your wave?  I like the looks of yours and wonder how well it works.  I tried one of my friends delta gate on the boat last weekend and it work good.  I have not had to install a vacuum breaker on the fat sac yet.  Can I ask why you needed that?  Just asking as we are new at this and we have only had fat sacs in for two weeks.  Thanks!!!

Here is a picture of our boat!   We are excited and enjoying it as we have had it 1 month.  Looking forward to getting surf setup right.  

large.57dbb7741fbc5_BoatVLX.JPG.9d6bd080

If you do not put a anti syphon in if you completely fill the sac it will syphon out through the pump the wrong way and empty the sac. So what we did was in the double end barb to connect the fat sac flexible pipe, that came with the wake makers kit, to the original pipe that did go to the hard tank, we drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of it and glued in a green washer bottle foot valve that is just a check valve. then tie-rapped the barb connecter at high level. we moved the centre tank fill line in the same way, but because that would fill on its own!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Windscreen-Washer-Valve-Foot-Filter-GWW506-GWW601-bottle-cooper-S-/191960228075?hash=item2cb1b8a0eb:m:mhS7AB7DnWzlnolto4wvxkg

Gate worked very well, made a few different ones. Watch your oil pressure when surfing as with a lot of bow rise the pick up can get starved, hence us running the level higher.

4 hours ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

If you do not put a anti syphon in if you completely fill the sac it will syphon out through the pump the wrong way and empty the sac. So what we did was in the double end barb to connect the fat sac flexible pipe, that came with the wake makers kit, to the original pipe that did go to the hard tank, we drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of it and glued in a green washer bottle foot valve that is just a check valve. then tie-rapped the barb connecter at high level. we moved the centre tank fill line in the same way, but because that would fill on its own!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Windscreen-Washer-Valve-Foot-Filter-GWW506-GWW601-bottle-cooper-S-/191960228075?hash=item2cb1b8a0eb:m:mhS7AB7DnWzlnolto4wvxkg

Gate worked very well, made a few different ones. Watch your oil pressure when surfing as with a lot of bow rise the pick up can get starved, hence us running the level higher.

Would it also work to install a check-valve in the fill line?  

5 hours ago, Fffrank said:

Would it also work to install a check-valve in the fill line?  

Hi 

A lot do fit a check valve in te fill line instead of a anti syphon vacuum breaker, I would not just for the point that once you pull the boat out of the water the fill line drains. Whith a check valve the pipe above or down stream of the check valve will stay full of water, to the high point. So extra stuff to worry about when winterizing and if you go to different lakes it makes it harder to have a dry boat to stop invasive species etc. 

42 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but is siphoning only an issue with aerator pumps?

Aerator pumps and vent lines can siphon. Not reversible impeller pumps. High vent outlets and reversible pumps = No siphoning.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:30 AM, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

Hi

See the pics below

I am curious, did you ever ride goofy? if so, how was the wake? I am finding out I tend to be the only goofy rider I find.  Well myself and my group I go with.

• 3 weeks later...

goofy wave should be better b/c of prop rotation.  i have a 99 VLX and we get a great wave with 750s full in the rear and an IBS full across the back surf corner and 500 in the locker.  we have a wicked wake surf gate.  has crazy push and is pretty long ... dont have any pictures yet though. 

On 9/17/2016 at 7:27 AM, minnmarker said:

Aerator pumps and vent lines can siphon. Not reversible impeller pumps. High vent outlets and reversible pumps = No siphoning.

Or use a check valve on your vent line and impeller pump and you can suck the bags flat and no siphon issues. 

• 3 years later...

@Nitrousbird I also have a 2004 21 vlx and am trying to get it to surf better... when you say you have the 1100s in back is that in addition to the stock hard tanks? Or did you remove those?? Thanks