Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you do? Bow pump instal

malibuskier2003

OK folks, I'm struggling here and am reaching out for opinions.  I bought all the parts to plumb a bow bag reversible pump and dropped  them off at my dealer to instal for me.  I gave him free reign to punch the through hull anywhere he felt best, as he is the guy that services my boat and I didn't want to make his life harder than necessary.  I did tell him specifically I wanted  the pump located in the V-Drive area in the back of the boat.  I swung by the shop today for a peek at the boat and saw something different.  The pump is located on the bottom left corner of the amp board under the observers hatch and the through hull is next to the drain plug.  I'm not real comfortable with this because if there is any leak at the pump, all my stereo equipment is at risk.  I don't have any idea if that fear/risk is real or not but it sure seems like an expensive gamble to me.  Am I worrying over nothing or should I ask him to move the pump out of that location?  Thoughts?

Dave

I installed mine right by the batteries by the hull.  There's a perfect spot there and then you can run a line to the pre-drilled hole in the midship.  Very clean, highly recommend it and it won't get water on your amps if it leaks.  I have 4 amps mounted on a custom setup, so I was careful about that.

53 minutes ago, malibuskier2003 said:

Dealer is going to move it to the V-Drive area.  I didn't want to smoke 2K in audio equipment if there is a freak failure.

Dave

Yeah it just an extra 10-15ft of hose , thats where mine is

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

Following this one and would love to see additional pictures of how you routed the hose and where you put the switch.

I don't have any good pictures at the moment.  The through hull/ball valve is right next to the forward drain plug.  The hose is routed under the floor and up into the area under the seats.  We ran it underneath the top edge of the cabin side of the seat support all the way back to the pump mounted to the divider between the v-drive and where the plug & play is.  We then followed the bottom of the seat back and returned up the boat underneath the top edge of the opposite side of the seat supports.  It runs along the hull at the bottom of the amp rack and up into the opening above the cup holders/speaker just like @IXFE did.  His mounting bracket for the quick connect in this spot is absolutely genius.  Rock solid and practical.  I may be able to take some pictures in a few weeks if I remember but the boat is pretty much done for the season.  I hope this explanation makes some sense....

Dave

On October 9, 2016 at 2:02 PM, malibuskier2003 said:

Here's where the pump eneed up

20161009_105538.jpg

I've heard mounting the pumps upside down is not a good idea as water could eventually leak down into the motor....I've heard a horizontal is fine.  You might want to check with Johnson or Jabsco to be sure.

Edited by MJR63
14 hours ago, MJR63 said:

I've heard mounting the pumps upside down is not a good idea as water could eventually leak down into the motor....I've heard a horizontal is fine.  You might want to check with Johnson or Jabsco to be sure.

I'm going to flip it over this winter.  I was in a hurry to get the boat back in the water so I left it the way the dealer put it in.

Dave

So basically you paid the dealer to install it where you wanted it, which was a reasonable request. They don't do that, so they fix that install and then install the pump upside down. 

Glad I DIY.

7 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

So basically you paid the dealer to install it where you wanted it, which was a reasonable request. They don't do that, so they fix that install and then install the pump upside down. 

Glad I DIY.

Generally, I DIY everything.  However, when it came time to drill a hole in the hull of my brand new really expensive boat, I elected to pay someone a few hundred bucks.  This way, if something goes sideways, she has someone to yell at not named me!  I look at this as money well spent.  I can fix all the little BS I may not like but the important stuff is someone else's issue.  Cheap insurance for me, even figuring in the frustration of having them redo part of the job.