Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I need new shoes for the truck. Advice on tires...

TallRedRider

I have a 2015 F250 pickup that is in need of some sprucing up.  For some stoopid reason I picked the white truck instead of the red.  I didn't want to appear to vain and flashy, and now regret that.  I don't need to compensate for something else that disappoints me, but I would like the truck to just be a little nicer looking than it is.   I am not going to get rid of the truck, I like it a lot and don't want to take a beating on what it would cost to get a new one, so instead I can spruce it up with new tires and wheels. 

I mostly have questions about the size.  I don't really need bigger tires to go out in the mud, it is mostly a street queen, but will occasionally go on some dirt roads.  Extra clearance will be a bonus, but traction is not really what I am looking for.  I have a 2.5 inch leveling kit on the front which has helped it to look nicer.  I am debating whether to get some 20X9 rims and then some 34 inch tires, which would look nice.  Or just go bigger and get the 20X10 rims and some 35 X 12.5 tires.  I think then I may need additional advice on offset if I do that since the truck is only leveled, not lifted, per se.   

I am going to go ahead and be 'that guy' and get the same rims the boat has...man that is so gay, but I am going to do it.  

Here is what she looked like before the leveling kit.  

Anyone have pics of what each would look like?  Any other advice as to what I should be thinking about here?  

20150218_150030_zps0ayynaah.jpg

And here is the rims I will be getting:  

20160203_140443_zpsbszqfa7s.jpg

I have always bought BF Goodrich AT.... no significant tire whining and the tread is warrantied for 50,000 miles... Always been my tire of choice on my Jeeps and Trucks.. and will always be ;)

• Like 2

Can I vote for a set of black wheels? I like the look of a white vehicle with dark colored wheels. If you want the tires to last more than 20k I would avoid a m/t and stick with an a/t. I've got a set of Goodyear duratracs that have done pretty well on my truck as far as wear goes. 

Pop for the 2 inch level kit and the 35's are a perfect fit

this is my pro comp package from 4.-wheel parts tires have a 50k warranty 

http://www.procompusa.com/tires-product-details.aspx?pt=101509&pl=3360

http://www.procompusa.com/wheels-product-details.aspx?pt=101508&lc=PXA&pqq=2336-1558&pqa=13681-8279

I wanna say it was less than $2500 for everything 

IMG_0380_zpsgudadzqq.jpg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

No idea what they use on the roads to melt ice around there, but here it'll eat the finish on a chrome or polished rim. So people always have a summer & winter set of rims & tires. I refuse to have 2 sets of rims & tires for every vehicle we have so I run black powdercoated 20" rims on BFG AT KO2s. Really happy with the traction  in the snow/ice or even in the sand pulling the boat out. Only like 10k miles on them so far but they seem to be wearing great. Always had good luck with BFGs & was excited to see them making AT KO2s in profiles to fit 20" rims.

IMG_20160223_162735601_HDR_zpsezqfjivp.j

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

A34B8D82-D542-46F0-B738-1F81B1BDA3B3.jpgI'm on my second set of Nitro Terra Grapplers. Had 75k on the first set and then did a 2.25" level with 35x12.5x20's on the stock FX4 wheels. The 35's are a lot heaver but they are a 10ply which I imagine you are looking for with the 250.

http://m.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/terra-grappler-g2-all-terrain-light-truck-tire/

I needed a tire with good highway manners since i usually do at least one trip out West every year. The 35s are definitely not the 285/55s but ended up being a pretty good balance.

Went back and forth between the Toyo ATII's and Cooper ST Maxx http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx if you havent looked at them yet. 4runner guys like them and the ST Pros for a MT

Edited by WakeSS
Added info
17 hours ago, Stevo said:

Pop for the 2 inch level kit and the 35's are a perfect fit

this is my pro comp package from 4.-wheel parts tires have a 50k warranty 

http://www.procompusa.com/tires-product-details.aspx?pt=101509&pl=3360

http://www.procompusa.com/wheels-product-details.aspx?pt=101508&lc=PXA&pqq=2336-1558&pqa=13681-8279

I wanna say it was less than $2500 for everything 

IMG_0380_zpsgudadzqq.jpg

Stevo, 

Which size tires are those and which tread?  I think the link is partially broken.  Are they the Xtreme A/T?  It looks like they only have them in R18 and only have 33 and 37 inch versions?  

I did not mean this to degenerate into which tire is best.  I really just wanted to get some perspective on size before I buy.  

21 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I have always bought BF Goodrich AT.... no significant tire whining and the tread is warrantied for 50,000 miles... Always been my tire of choice on my Jeeps and Trucks.. and will always be ;)

My consistent choice over the past two decades as well.  Good wear with regular rotations and good all weather performance.  Also like the look of them.

Based on your original post I would recommend Michelin LTX A/T 2 or LTX M/S.  They are LT tires with excellent wear and all season highway traction.  Certainly no bling factor, but if you're hauling stuff they're excellent tires.

Edited by minnmarker
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Stevo, 

Which size tires are those and which tread?  I think the link is partially broken.  Are they the Xtreme A/T?  It looks like they only have them in R18 and only have 33 and 37 inch versions?  

I did not mean this to degenerate into which tire is best.  I really just wanted to get some perspective on size before I buy.  

35/12.5/20

extreeme at 

4 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Stevo, 

http://www.ntwonline.com/PRO-COMP-Radial-XTreme-A-T-Tire-Specs.aspx

You want an AT tire for sure.

For looks/performance/price, Nitto Terra Grappler is the way to go.  I found they didn't wear as well as I would have liked though.

BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A lasted a lot longer on my previous truck (Avalanche).  They didn't look as cool as the Terra Grapplers but wore better.  That said, I had the originals that didn't have a treadwear warranty - the Terra Grappler G2 does have one and is the same price as the BFG.  I'd probably go with that if buying again...which I won't be since I don't run an A/T on my EXT.

33 minutes ago, skurfer said:

What size tires are those?

Those were 275/65/20. I went 5% higher on aspect ratio. But, I had a little rubbing that was driving me crazy so I went back to OEM size 275/55/20. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got her done.  I will probably get some better pics later, but I am stoked at how she came out. Not overstated, but looks a lot better than stock.  

The rims are MOTO Metal 961 in Chrome with red inserts.  The tires are Toyo AT 295/65 R20.  So they are 35 inches tall and 11.5 inches wide.  

20160919_130314_zpsyziwwi6s.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2016 at 5:58 PM, TallRedRider said:

I finally got her done.  I will probably get some better pics later, but I am stoked at how she came out. Not overstated, but looks a lot better than stock.  

The rims are MOTO Metal 961 in Chrome with red inserts.  The tires are Toyo AT 295/65 R20.  So they are 35 inches tall and 11.5 inches wide.  

20160919_130314_zpsyziwwi6s.jpg

Big improvement!

• Like 1