Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare Tire Question

NCVride

I rarely trailer the boat as it spends all summer on our lift.  We've got a get together at another lake in 2 weekends about 3 hours away.   I just put new tires on my tandem axle at the beginning of the summer.  I've got a spare tire/rim combo that I had from my previous boat.  The tires on the trailer ar 205/65/R15.  The spare is 205/65/R14.  I hope I don't have any issues while trailering to the our friends place, but in a pinch could I get away with using the spare?  Just curious....if I need to go by a new spare I will, but just prefer not to.

Just now, oldjeep said:

Since the spare is on a 14" rim and your others are on 15's you had better make sure it clears your brakes.

Didn't even think about that!!!!  I'll have to check that out this weekend to make sure....thanks for the heads up.....if it does clear, think it would be ok to use in a bind?

Just now, NCVride said:

Didn't even think about that!!!!  I'll have to check that out this weekend to make sure....thanks for the heads up.....if it does clear, think it would be ok to use in a bind?

Well the 205/65R15 is going to be about 1" taller than a 205/65R14  (25.5" vs 24.5"), which is only 1/2" of ride height.  In a pinch it would be fine, but I'd rather have a same sized spare so that I didn't have to rush right out and find a replacement.

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Since the spare is on a 14" rim and your others are on 15's you had better make sure it clears your brakes.

I agree but if the trailer is like mine then only one axle has brakes. Make sure the little tires is on the brake-less axle. You might have to swap tires around depending on where the flat is. 

19 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

I agree but if the trailer is like mine then only one axle has brakes. Make sure the little tires is on the brake-less axle. You might have to swap tires around depending on where the flat is. 

Around here in MN brakes are required on all axles of trailers over 3500lbs, in WI only on one.  So I suppose it is a crapshoot depending on if the dealer ordered it originally with one set or two.

Edited by oldjeep

It really should not matter. That particular tire will be spinning slightly faster than the others, nothing I would worry about. It is called a spare for a reason, it will get you home if you really need it.