Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Charger/Tender

sandaddiction

Definitely don't buy any of the cheap ones like Schumacher. I had one almost burn down our garage. Spend the money and get a quality charger that has overcharge and overheat protection. I have many of these and would strongly recommend them (on sale right now):

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201

On 9/12/2016 at 6:27 AM, sandaddiction said:

What is the best non-inboat battery charger/tender to buy?

Just curious why you don't want to mount it in the boat?  Everyone seems to have a favorite brand on this, but either way I would get a multi-bank charger.  I like NOCO's offerings

36 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Just curious why you don't want to mount it in the boat?  Everyone seems to have a favorite brand on this, but either way I would get a multi-bank charger.  I like NOCO's offerings

Maybe he wants it for multiple uses?

22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I would STRONGLY recommend to stay away from anything produced by Schumacher (this unit is).

12 minutes ago, Tao of Wake said:

I would STRONGLY recommend to stay away from anything produced by Schumacher (this unit is).

So what would you recommend for a real battery charger? (Not the little puck battery tenders).  No idea who made my old craftsman but it is about 25 years old.

3 hours ago, Kmfish87 said:

(Devil's advocate)

Why?

Had a Schumacher charger connected to a battery in a ATV that overheated and caused a fire. Total loss for the ATV and many other items in the garage including my boat trailer (luckily, boat was on the lift). Schumacher did not stand behind their product. My insurance company even hired an investigator who determined the charger was at fault.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

So what would you recommend for a real battery charger? (Not the little puck battery tenders).  No idea who made my old craftsman but it is about 25 years old.

BatteryMinder, NOCO Genius and CTEK are all reliable brands that have overheat protection.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tao of Wake said:

BatteryMinder, NOCO Genius and CTEK are all reliable brands that have overheat protection.

Not a one of those (I think) is a normal battery charger with standard 2/10/Jumpstart  Auto/Manual capability.  Fine as tenders but not exactly what the guy seems to be asking for.  In my boat I run a 2 channel prosport which is great for a tender but not a general use battery charger.

33 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Not a one of those (I think) is a normal battery charger with standard 2/10/Jumpstart  Auto/Manual capability.  Fine as tenders but not exactly what the guy seems to be asking for.  In my boat I run a 2 channel prosport which is great for a tender but not a general use battery charger.

The OPs request was for "the best non-inboat battery charger/tender". All that I listed meet that request. They will all charge (depending on which one is purchased may charge slower than others) and will also maintain.

• 6 months later...
On 9/14/2016 at 5:30 PM, Fffrank said:

I went through 3 prosports before I replaced with a NOCO.  Would never go back.

I have a prosport on board charger I put in last year. Just curious what problems you had?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 4:37 PM, MystiikVLX said:

I have a prosport on board charger I put in last year. Just curious what problems you had?

They would last until they were out of warranty and then just quit working.  No idea what the deal was. 

18 hours ago, Fffrank said:

They would last until they were out of warranty and then just quit working.  No idea what the deal was. 

I don't like hearing this, I have a Prosport.