Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Charging different battery banks

OLDGUY

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I never really liked that an ACR combines both batteries together.  I like the idea of my engine start battery always being isolated so I've always used isolators similar to this:

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80066/Sure-Power-9523A-Mult-Battery/?gclid=CMDbjIehkc8CFdQ9gQodOKEP8g

What don't you like about combining them?  My understanding is they generaly isolate below ~12.75 (discharging) and combine over ~13V (charging)

Planning on using an ACR on my new boat, and just making sure I don't miss anything.

17 minutes ago, MadMan said:

My alternator does have the remote battery sense connection.

I actually removed factory "on-off-combine switch (more connection just give more chance of problems).  My idea is, if I ever need to switch batteries to start the engine, it's just a 3 minute job switching the cables.

yeah it looks like the more modern stuff (say 2006 and up) does not have the sense wire.  

The instructions I linked to give a diagram to hook up with a perko.  It's an interesting setup because it does allow you to charge both batteries but only use one at a time (for everything).  That's always been one of my gripes about the perko setup is you have to be on "both" to charge both and then remember to switch to 1 or 2 when floating and then remember to switch back to both when restarting.  A lot of switch flipping and I have a short attention span so I can never remember to do it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MadMan said:

I never really liked that an ACR combines both batteries together.  I like the idea of my engine start battery always being isolated so I've always used isolators similar to this:

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80066/Sure-Power-9523A-Mult-Battery/?gclid=CMDbjIehkc8CFdQ9gQodOKEP8g

I do like the simplicity and reliability of a diode type iso, but, some people dont like the .7V drop across them.Worth noting though, with a uni-directional ACR/VSR, the banks are only combined when there is voltage on the cranking battery side, that is above the house side. Charge voltage goes away, ACR opens and banks are isolated.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the add a battery kit and a new more powerful alternator. Works great. Did take two days to rewire and install. Thanks for all the input.

• Like 2