Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a new battery

Tweeder06Wakesetter

In the market for a new battery after my weekend was almost shot because of dead one.  I knew this would be the place to come and find out what battery I should look to buy.  Suggestions for a new battery?

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking of switching to some AGM batteries.  I can get 100ah units from Amazon for ~$170/ea.  It's worth the price for me to be able to mount them sideways and without boxes as long as the performance and lifespan will be similar.  Anyone have any experience with these?  I was getting 3-4 years out of my WalMart wet cells.  Can I expect the same kind of longevity on the AGMs?

@FffrankI have AGMs in 2 cars and they are going strong after 4 and 5 years respectively.  They have a lot of advantages but there is one potential down side in systems not designed for them.  If drained down to a low level they can take a charge too fast for your alternator, especially if you have 2 of them in parallel, and burn up your alternator, cables, or connectors.  If you dedicate one of them for the stereo load and have an ACR in between it and the starting battery/alternator then you should be fine.

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

@FffrankI have AGMs in 2 cars and they are going strong after 4 and 5 years respectively.  They have a lot of advantages but there is one potential down side in systems not designed for them.  If drained down to a low level they can take a charge too fast for your alternator, especially if you have 2 of them in parallel, and burn up your alternator, cables, or connectors.  If you dedicate one of them for the stereo load and have an ACR in between it and the starting battery/alternator then you should be fine.

It will be two of the 100ah AGMs on the stereo bank and a single smaller AGM for the starting duties.  I'll be running w/ a blue sea ACR and a NOCO onboard charger.  Charger is plugged in after every use.  Everything will be wired with 0-gauge so hopefully the cables and terminals are up to the task. 

29 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

If you have an interstate store close, check with them for blems. They get the blems from their manufacturer who makes the batteries for most brands. 

Good tip!  I'll stop in at the one in Bloomington, MN and ask what they have.