Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help

blytle473

I just got my boat back from the shop again. In a previous post it explains why it was there in the first place. Long story short, the boat would cut out when the boat was shifted from idle to forward or reverse  every so often. I also had a leak in the muffler. Anyways, I got the boat back today and dumped it back into the water and put about 5 hours in it. It ran fine at first but then the problem with the engine stalling when sifting gears every so often reappeared. But now I have a bigger problem. I was going close to WOT and the engine started to make a faint whining noise. Almost like a supercharger whine. I started to decelerate and the noise got louder and louder then POP. I but the boat immediately into neutral and and I stayed in neutral for a few minutes. I then attempted to put the boat in forward or reverse and both actions stalled the engine. So there is obviously something wrong with the transmission. Has anyone had anything like this before?? I have the 8.1L Vortec engine.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Could be transmission or the drive plate. If your trans uses atf have a look and see if it is burnt. Otherwise to check drive plate you need to pull the starter.

So just got a call from my mechanic and the V-Drive is cracked. All of the fluid leaked out and was pumped out of the bildge without me noticing. They are calling Indmar on Monday to try to figure out where they can get a replacement... This boat is becoming quite the money pit.

Just now, blytle473 said:

So just got a call from my mechanic and the V-Drive is cracked. All of the fluid leaked out and was pumped out of the bildge without me noticing. They are calling Indmar on Monday to try to figure out where they can get a replacement... This boat is becoming quite the money pit.

So which came 1st, the crack in the v-drive allowing all the oil to leak out causing internal damage, or the oil seeped out somewhere else causing internal damage that then cracked the v-drive?

2 minutes ago, MadMan said:

So which came 1st, the crack in the v-drive allowing all the oil to leak out causing internal damage, or the oil seeped out somewhere else causing internal damage that then cracked the v-drive?

Good Question.  

The bilge should be full of fluid if it cracked then pumped out the fluid, the bilge pump would not get it out.  

5 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I believe that the v-drive cracked, letting the oil seep out, and then causing internal damage. The boat has had 2 engine rebuilds in the past 13 months. The first engine rebuilt went bust and the company went belly up and so we had to get it done a second time. It was only completed about 2 weeks ago. The boat ran fine until I discovered a crack in the muffler and took it in for service. I put the boat back in the water yesterday and this occurred. Took the boat in this morning and that was the diagnosis. I have put under 5 hours on the boat not driving it that hard because of the fresh rebuild. I have the boat on a hoist and I think it cracked and the transmission fluid just bildged itself out.

19 minutes ago, REW said:

Good Question.  

The bilge should be full of fluid if it cracked then pumped out the fluid, the bilge pump would not get it out.  

The hole where the bildge exits the boat is all covered in fluid and you can see the fluid as it dripped down the side of the hull when it exited.

13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

pretty crazy, I'd expect the v-drive to be the strongest piece of the drivetrain. Where did it crack?

I don't know right now. They diagnosed the boat yesterday at 3:45pm and they closed at 4:00pm. I live 25 minutes away so I didn't have enough time to run up there and show me what actually happened. I will be there Monday afternoon asking for an explanation.

On September 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM, oldjeep said:

pretty crazy, I'd expect the v-drive to be the strongest piece of the drivetrain. Where did it crack?

I didn't get a chance to get up to the dealer today. They did call me and deemed the V-Drive not repairable and a new one would be $5,000. I am calling Indmar tomorrow to see if I can get a better price. I am not paying for all of this.. I complained about shifting issues the week before and they deemed it to be just fine. I did not have this problem when I last drove the boat last August 2015. Is $5,000 a normal price??

Wow, sounds like you have some bad luck backed up by some bad area repair shops. 

You might be able to find a v-drive on ebay or the like if someone is parting out a wrecked boat. Good luck...

1 hour ago, Falko said:

Wow, sounds like you have some bad luck backed up by some bad area repair shops. 

You might be able to find a v-drive on ebay or the like if someone is parting out a wrecked boat. Good luck...

ebay does have this, actually has quite a selection:

this one is 2k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indmar-Marine-V-drive-Transmission-1-25-1-Gear-Ratio-/121813487033

Edited by Chia
  • Like 2

I called up Indmar directly instead of going through the dealer and it was $3,200 with a 3 year warranty. I bought it immediately instead of going through the dealer and paying $5,000 and not being able to negotiate a warranty. Once it arrives I will have the dealer install it and just be done with it. If I had time I would do some more shopping around but there isn't much time left of this Michigan summer and since I haven't had the boat in all summer, I am just trying to do this as quick as possible. Will let you know what the final cost of everything is. Thanks for your help.