Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is bigger better?

chief

Im thinking that i would like to trade my 23lsv for a vlx ....I love the size of the 23 but never have more than 8 peeps in the boat at 1 time...I like the new silver edition vlx..."Should i stay or should i go" Name the band who recorded that song.....Looking for some thoughts crew!

Until you find a 9th peep...

What are you looking to get out of the swap? Clarify your expectations, and we may be more help

Edited by SacRiverRat
Very true - but he states he never has more than 8. Having 8 in the VLX, all day long.

True enough. I'd be curious at what a typical day is for him. It's hard to go from a bigger boat to a smaller one, you get used to the size & storage that's available to you. Pros to each as I see them:

Pros

VLX

~ World class wakeboarding wake

~ Easier to get a good boarding & surf wake (less surface area to hull = less weight needed to sink it)

~ Handles a bit better

~ Better power to weight/surface area ratio

~ With a new boat you can get things like the Power Wedge & tanks under the floor

LSV

~ Bigger boat better accomodates large parties

~ Potential for a better surfing wake (can't comment on the boarding wake)

~ Less bowrise than the VLX

~ Better storage

I'm sure there's more, I just did that off the cuff.

Either way you are in great shape. There really is no wrong decision in your case. Now if you were contemplating a Sanger vs LSV, then it is entirely different.

Very true - but he states he never has more than 8. Having 8 in the VLX, all day long.

True enough. I'd be curious at what a typical day is for him. It's hard to go from a bigger boat to a smaller one, you get used to the size & storage that's available to you. Pros to each as I see them:

Pros

VLX

~ World class wakeboarding wake

~ Easier to get a good boarding & surf wake (less surface area to hull = less weight needed to sink it)

~ Handles a bit better

~ Better power to weight/surface area ratio

~ With a new boat you can get things like the Power Wedge & tanks under the floor

LSV

~ Bigger boat better accomodates large parties

~ Potential for a better surfing wake (can't comment on the boarding wake)

~ Less bowrise than the VLX

~ Better storage

I'm sure there's more, I just did that off the cuff.

Yes, this is why I was currious why he was looking to make the change. The only other thing I'd add to a con to making the switch is the depreciation or cost of actually making the deal. There is probably some cost involved there too

The reasons are two fold...First is looking at the vlx the only thing you lose is the half the cooler area and a couple of people...Secondly, I like the new additions to the newer models in the way of ballast comparments,clove box,dash features.new p pass,and the auto wedge! I know i will take a hit in the wallet Cry.gif also i need a less wider wake to get my big butt over to the other side...I love the 23 but maybe I am just restless ;)

I wish Malibu would make the Power Wedge a dealer add-on to older models. I would jump on that so fast. That would be one of (not the only) reason I would upgrade from 05 to 07. The rest of the stuff is upgradeable except maybe the glove box. I get restless like you every time I see a newer boat in the water. I just keep reminding myself how much I love my current boat and how much money I still have to spend on our lakehouse and it reins me in....good luck either way. :)

Why not upgrade to a 2007 LSV? Biggrin.gif The VLX is a sweet boat as well, but the room would be hard to give up for me. Even when we just have 4-5 people on our 23 footer...it is so nice to stretch out!

I have not ridden a VLX and a LSV back to back, but have been told many times the wakes a very close. We did shorten the rope after buying the LSV as the wake is very wide, and I am not close to w-2-w on it, but have plenty of fun anyway.

Why not upgrade to a 2007 LSV? Biggrin.gif The VLX is a sweet boat as well, but the room would be hard to give up for me. Even when we just have 4-5 people on our 23 footer...it is so nice to stretch out!

It is so nice!! Even with 9 people we were all very comfy sitting in the back, and great wakesurfin!!