Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

XTi surf wave help

PeteMP

I have a 2002 33' XTi I've been trying to surf. I've built a suck gate and have a surfable wave, we are able to go ropeless but the pocket is super small and close to the boat. I run full MLS and two 800lb bags evenly as far back as I can get them. 

Anyone surfing a similar boat and have some advice? I've started to add weight to the bow (humans) that seems to be helping more. Maybe I'll use an 800 up there then only one in the back? 

Thanks in advanced. 

6 minutes ago, PeteMP said:

I have a 2002 33' XTi I've been trying to surf. I've built a suck gate and have a surfable wave, we are able to go ropeless but the pocket is super small and close to the boat. I run full MLS and two 800lb bags evenly as far back as I can get them. 

Anyone surfing a similar boat and have some advice? I've started to add weight to the bow (humans) that seems to be helping more. Maybe I'll use an 800 up there then only one in the back? 

Thanks in advanced. 

Not surfing that boat.. However.. A pic would be good... is it short and steep? What is full MLS for that boat... Rear... Mid.... Front?

I have a 23 LSV... and a 2000 sunsetter lx... 

In the LSV:

• Rear
    • Factory tanks full (250)
    • PNP full (1100)
  • Center
    • Factory tank full (500)
  • Front
    • Factory tank full (350)
    • Added ballast bag full (750)
  • Wedge
    • down to top position of deployed.. depends on location of Crew and type of wake I want to create

In the Sunsetter (direct drive boat)

• Rear
  • sides of motor
    • 800 each side
  • Center 
    • Factory bag full (400)
  • Under seats and in front walk way
  • Wedge
    • Fixed wedge and locked down.

Longer shorter wave requires more bow weight... Short Steep wake requires more rear weight. balancing location of weigh in boat will enable you to create the wave you want... general rule of thumb is 70% rear 30% front 

Thanks for the reply, so my MLS is 250 x 2 in the rear. 400lb ish in the ski locker(mid). I also have no wedge.

Pics bellow are all those full with two 800lb laying On the seat/floor, it's really a pain as you can see in the one pic it takes up a lot of room. Thats the best wave so far but like I said, very small pocket. Could it also be the board? It's a "beginner" board  Ronix mellow thrasher. With two rear fins.

1zf0xzk.jpg

2dt2kv6.jpg

lol... now my neck hurts :P... You are IMHO:

1. Not running enough weight at all
  2. All your weight is in rear

My recommended solution:

1.  remove 2 800s from rear and put one 1100
  2. Move 2 800s to each side of engine box (or in front of 1100 and spreading weight to front of boat (vertically))
    1. Looking at the interior layout this might be hard also try:
      1. running the 800s vertical instead of horizontal.
  3. add at least 750 to bow
  4. even though you are running a surf device with even ballast... keep your movable ballast (people) on the surf side... 

Hm so that's another 1100 and 750 pounds? The two 800s take up loads of room dunno where the 1100 would fit. I'll look into a 750 bow bag

Maybe I can find some end of season deal On bags..... Or end of season on a V-drive. Haha

I agree with kerpluxal. Weight in the rear makes the wake taller, Adding wight up front makes the sweet spot longer. I had my center full, two rear lockers full, a suck gate and stuck a couple people in bow. It made a decent wave that I could surf w/o crashing into swim platform.  

Thanks for the input, had the best wave so far this past weekend. Having to much fun for pictures, I'll get some this coming weekend.

Looks like I've gotta pick up a bow ballet bag for when I don't have enough human ballast.

It's getting colder where I am so I'll likely just have the wave dialed and have to winterize. 

What baords are you guys running? I feel like my Ronix Marsh "mellow" is possibly holding us back some?