Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Norris Lake TN guys

h2ojunkie

We are looking at running down there late next week for a long weekend anniversary celebration trip to a friends condo and have never been there this late in season. How are lake temps holding up and is it still comfortable to just float around ect... looks like air temps next week still in mid and low 80's day, w low 60's at night wondering if its worth the 10hr round trip for only 3 1/2 days of lake time.  Any input appreciated.  Tks

I find your question kinda funny as that's about the height of summer hot season here in NY. I'd be all over those conditions as they sound perfect to me. Here's to hoping you go...have fun!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

I find your question kinda funny as that's about the height of summer hot season here in NY. I'd be all over those conditions as they sound perfect to me. Here's to hoping you go...have fun!

Ain't that the truth....where in ny you live?

Interested as well. Haven't been down to Norris this late either but I know with the July water temps in the mid to upper 80's I'd take some cooler water for sure.

Temp of the lake will still be quite good.  I have been down at the end of September and it usually is still nice.  They do start letting water out usually after Labor Day, but with the depths of the lake, it should not be an issue.  Should be good to go.

We are heading down there tomorrow.  The owner of the place we are staying at said there is such a drought (and they have possibly been letting water out) that the water is really low for this early in the year already.  Air temps are in the 80's and 90's during the day, so lake should be pretty comfy I'm assuming.

Water temp was 85 during Labor Day weekend.  Water level is low compared to recent years but you will have no problem finding calm water to "float" around or any tow rope activity.

Just got back from a week long trip at our floating house. Water was 85 today and temps in the upper 80's. We floated and played in the water with the kids with no problem. Best time of the year to be at Norris. Lake is glass during the day. Very little traffic but still warm air and water temps. Most marinas will be on limited hours of operation so plan on scheduling your fuel stops. 

• Like 2

September is one of the best times at Norris. We always plan a trip there , water still warm and the sunsets are beautiful. We used to do a early to mid October trip with a bunch of guys and Ron Scarpa , was some of best footing water I've ever seen. You'll love it, but as someone said the dock hours are limited that time of the year.  Its worth the trip. Have a great time.

10 hours ago, That Guy said:

That's awesome. I so want a floating house...my wife on the other hand requires something on land.  But floating houses are so much more affordable!

They've been working to ban floating houses on TVA lakes.  They just passed a law banning new ones.  Existing ones can stay a max of 30 more years before they have to be removed.  I wouldn't invest in one at least not on a TVA lake.  Go with a traditional houseboat if you go "floating".

I was just at norris mid-week a few weeks ago at my buddy's place.  East end of the lake out past Bubba Brews.  The water was high 80s and very calm.  As others have said, the levels are much lower than normal since they've had very little rain this summer.  Just stay far from shore, don't try any cut-thru shortcuts between islands, and don't cruise at 40 MPH in pitch dark when you don't know where the heck you're going...and you should be fine even with the lower water levels.  :-)

Thanks crew.  Wife has bad issues w chilly water w a circulation issue and I am having wicked back and neck issues so warmer water temps make huge diff for us and health issues.  We may go ahead and go down for 32nd anniversary for some alone time and try to enjoy it all. Thanks for all the replies and input. Hope its a good tip w no issues w boat and trailer ect... and weather holds up well. 

On 9/9/2016 at 0:46 PM, powderski14 said:

Ain't that the truth....where in ny you live?

Central NY, Delta Lake. Excellent location for riding. I recall Jerry Nunn a few years back saying how much he liked it too.

4 hours ago, h2ojunkie said:

Thanks crew.  Wife has bad issues w chilly water w a circulation issue and I am having wicked back and neck issues so warmer water temps make huge diff for us and health issues.  We may go ahead and go down for 32nd anniversary for some alone time and try to enjoy it all. Thanks for all the replies and input. Hope its a good tip w no issues w boat and trailer ect... and weather holds up well. 

Enjoy! Hope the water is nice and warm. Lakes are cooling off quickly up north.

Water temps usually stay pretty decent into October. Air temp gets cold in October. Water level is way down but no one is there so plenty of great water.

Looking to rent a big place on Norris for next summer.  We are looking at some places north of the Cedar Creek Bridge- North of Sugar Hollow Marina.  Anyone familiar with this area?  Will we be able to get to good boarding water quickly from here?  Any other ideas on where to find an 8 or 9 bedroom home on Norris in a good location? 

That is a pretty busy area of the lake - smack in the middle of Deerfield, Sugar, Springs & Shanghai.  Take a look at a map around there & you'll see a ton of houses.  Thought it depends on exactly when next summer, during June & July will be pretty rough after about 10A.

Not sure where you'd find a house that large elsewhere though -  may find 2x5 bedrooms next to each other.  The South side near Bubba's and/or around Flat Hollow have nice water for more of the day closer have some larger houses, but not sure many more than 6 bedrooms.

Good Luck

On 9/14/2016 at 10:57 PM, borris said:

Looking to rent a big place on Norris for next summer.  We are looking at some places north of the Cedar Creek Bridge- North of Sugar Hollow Marina.  Anyone familiar with this area?  Will we be able to get to good boarding water quickly from here?  Any other ideas on where to find an 8 or 9 bedroom home on Norris in a good location? 

I spend 3 or 4 weekends a year on the lake. We always go to those houses you are talking about the week after labor day.  There are a few houses that size. I think a place called "Pure Fun" or "Great Escape" may be big enough.

But, ya that is a very busy area during peak times. I would not bother to even bring a board or skis. You can probably find a place to surf but, that is about it.  There is a generally a rather large party going on at the bridge, so pack a cooler and have a blast. 

On 9/14/2016 at 9:57 PM, borris said:

We stayed here last week: https://www.vrbo.com/780602

Loved it.