Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Latest attack on Water sports

sabre

https://spotsylvania.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=4274&MeetingID=293

There is an attempt to make a 200' setback on Lake Anna, va.  Much of the Lake (almost everything north of the 208 bridge for those who are familiar with the lake) is narrower than 600' with several less than 400'.  That essentially puts everyone who wants to do any sports into one area of the lake, competing with Large cruisers, high speed jet and go fast boats, and those unfamiliar with the parts of the lake north of many bridges (which happen to be the best parts of the lake for ski and board sports).

Any advice on how to fight this?

Edited by sabre

While this is affects us all and we don't like it, it doesn't surprise me much. Let us know how that meeting goes today. I think it is just the start though, original setbacks were made when boats were smaller and putting water in your boat was seen as a bad idea.

We went through a situation here where the city wanted to no-wake some of our favorite ski coves. What we eventually discovevered was it was only one person complaining so the city council just assumed all of the residents wanted the no-wake zones. 

I called the office of the lakes' governing body and found that they don't like to add more zones to patrol.

We showed up at the next city council meeting with the local show-ski team, 2 inboard dealers, reps from wsia and a bunch of recreational skiers. The complainer was tired of having jet skiers race by his dock when his kids were swimming so he had a valid complaint. We explained tho the city that a better solution would be to have the police out more often to enforce the laws/zones that were already in place. They agreed and we essentially won. 

I would contact everyone you know and show up. 

They tried in Louisa as well but it didn't have much support.  Its not enforceable and they even admit that its the VA Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries jurisdiction.  Not to mention they can't pass it b/c ultimately they would need the support of Dominion Power who built the lake.

http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/wake-ing-up-to-controversy-on-lake-anna/

Still have to fight these things or they will slowly get traction.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

We've started a gofundme project to retain a lawyer to help fight this nonsense.  We're seeing this kind of thinking on all lakes in VA (Lake Anna, Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Kerr, etc).

I feel that if we can successfully fight this here, it can form the foundation for defense in other locations around the country.  Please consider donating.

https://www.gofundme.com/VirginiaWatersport

Here's the text for the resolution.  It's crazy.  Please consider donating to the gofundme.com site referenced above.  We can't afford to have this get implemented.

Screenshot_20161008-140917.jpg

I feel this will come to IN all too soon as well however currently u need to be at 150-200ft out on most lakes before going fast but depends on the lake and shoreline etc.. most lakes here have round buoys set out at about 200ft so fast moving boats don't come inside of them to protect docks/swimmers..  but with surf boat waves I fear the arguments are starting on some of the smaller lakes..  at the end if the day it comes down to common sense and courtesy driving.. but as with most situations on lakes it's always one or two grumps that try and make everything seem soo bad when its not.. 

Good luck with the fight!