Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this a good buy? 98' VLX..

That Guy

On 9/9/2016 at 6:11 PM, That Guy said:

Appreciate all the info guys.....I'm sure he'd be ok with an I/O but he prefers the looks of the inboards as well as likes that the prop/engine is inside/under the boat vs hanging off the back.  I don't think he plans to surf regularly, or even at all to start.  And his wakeboarding skill is just enough to cross back and forth over the wake.  He wants to be able to take his family out on the water, relax, pull his kid on the kneeboard and/or some tubes.  It may progress past that in the coming years as he gets more comfortable being on a boat and his kids grow up but beyond getting out on my boat a couple times a year he doesn't have any boating experience.

I have no problem with this guy getting a 18-21' vdrive as a first boat.  He already wakeboards and just because he's a beginner now doesn't mean he wont progress quickly after buying an inboard.  The learning curve for driving isn't bad at all and inboard maintenance is so easy.  I spent most of my life on an IO and now have an inboard.  I wish we had done it long ago.  If he had said he had a 10k budget or that he liked to cruise up and down large lakes then maybe I'd lean IO.  I say keep looking and find a deal this fall/ winter like I did last year.  If you need me to check out a boat near Indianapolis let me know. 

You don't necessarily need all the options to start out but I agree that the original boat you posted has almost no options.  If I bought that boat I'd have to put a lot of aftermarket parts on it.  Then suddenly it's a 25-30k boat.  My guess is if he buys an IO now he'd only have it for a season or two before we have this discussion again.  Some guys like the buying and selling process.  I think it's a pain for a used boat shopper like myself.  Finding one in good condition takes too much time and energy.  If I could afford to order a new boat every year from the dealer then maybe I'd swap more.  

If budget is an issue he may want to consider a larger, family friendly direct drive.  They can be had for cheaper, have nice wakes, sports car handling, even easier maintenance etc.  I still think 20k is enough to find an nice v drive though.   

• Like 1

I have an '02 for sale.  Asking $23k, but if your friend can come up a little, I would come down a little.

I upgraded the factory ballast tanks/ sacs with new sacs.  And replaced all six ballast pumps. And have two new extra pumps.

New ACME1235 prop ($650).  Has tower, wedge, perfect pass, 887 hours.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/5729817929.html

Edited by DenverBu
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, DenverBu said:

I have an '02 for sale.  Asking $23k, but if your friend can come up a little, I would come down a little.

I upgraded the factory ballast tanks/ sacs with new sacs.  And replaced all six ballast pumps. And have two new extra pumps.

New ACME1235 prop ($650).  Has tower, wedge, perfect pass, 887 hours.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/5729817929.html

Looks pretty clean.  

On September 19, 2016 at 8:39 PM, geogilbert said:

Be interesting to see if one of the late 90s Sunsetter / Wakesetter would do with one of those new slap on Wedge surf gates. 

They actually surf pretty well. I have a 96 VLX with a aftermarketwedge that surfs good. Also has a Ronix wake shaper that comes with it. It's not a huge boat so pretty easy to get leaned over and a nice clean wake.

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/boa/5786217352.html

Edited by 2008vtx
  • 1 month later...

Near Season End BUMP!!  My buddy is still hunting for a deal and came across this....newer and low hours, has been maintained by this dealer for the past two owners and mechanically in good shape, could use a couple cushions recovered but that's minor.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/20160325-145752.jpg-for-sale-Leesburg-Indiana-60045.aspx

What does the Crew think?  He's talked them down slightly so he's at $20k OTD including winterizing after a water test and is excited for it....but I'm always skeptical.   

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

Near Season End BUMP!!  My buddy is still hunting for a deal and came across this....newer and low hours, has been maintained by this dealer for the past two owners and mechanically in good shape, could use a couple cushions recovered but that's minor.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/20160325-145752.jpg-for-sale-Leesburg-Indiana-60045.aspx

What does the Crew think?  He's talked them down slightly so he's at $20k OTD including winterizing after a water test and is excited for it....but I'm always skeptical.   

It looks to be a good solid starter boat IMO. My only concern would be the length. A 20ft v-drive is not a lot of space for both storage and passengers. Just from personal experience, my buddies Moomba Mondo which is 20' 6", is always cramped by the time you put gear and passengers inside. If he is not concerned with that then it seems like it would be a decent starter boat. Just did a quick search and this boat below jumped out. Low hours, similar year and price, ballast with tower and tower speakers. The only thing that you would have to add is a PP system. I have personally done a decent amount of time both in the drivers seat and behind this model boat. Good luck!

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2002-Ski-Centurion-Air-Warrior-Elite-V-Drive-Wakeboard-boat-for-sale-Porterville-California-60862.aspx

• 3 weeks later...