Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Wakesetter 24MXZ Surf Wave

TexasTexas95

I can't find any real specifics on this (very few videos as well) but since I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 MXZ, I needed some feedback from those with actual time behind them or I may be forced  into other options...I am looking for a newer, bigger boat, with more seating, storage capacity and so on so the 24 MXZ seemed to be absolutele perfect solution in every sense. But...The surf wave was trash and I was pretty disappointed. Let's call a spade a spade, my 2011 with ghetto gates churns out a sick surf wave with plenty of push and length to surf the entire length of a long rope. In defense of the MXZ, I do know what makes this boat surf the best but I'm pretty sure the 2016 surf wave isn't very good. Dealer had all tanks full and two plug and play sacs in the rear (only 550's I think? Seems small but that's kinda what I recall) wedge third position and 10.8mph.The 25LSV I surfed right before surfed quite a bit better so please someone with some knowledge chime in. Oh, and before we go further, I don't want to afford the 2017 unless they can get it to me for $100,000 with taxes, trailer, and similar options out the door. 100k is my max, bottom line. 2016, 100K max, my LSV is too small, and the 25LSV just wasn't as visually appealing although bigger wave. :(. Ugh, I don't know what to do right now. Anymore ideas? It's my first new boat, so I feel like this one is important. 

The Gen 1 MXZ hull was designed before Surfgate was created, so it's safe to say it's not optimized to work in conjunction with Surfgate.  That being said, you can get a nice surfable wave with little effort.  I'm sure all your tricks can be landed on the stock wave.

It sounds like the boat checks all the other boxes you are looking to fill, plus the wakeboard wake is money.  If you're getting a 16 for 100k, I'd jump on it!

• Like 1

24MXZ can provide an excellent wave if you weight it.  The gen1 24MXZ was released same year as surfgate (2013) but it does not have the weight or the subfloor ballast a 25 does, thus difference in the wave.  There is over 1500 pounds difference!

You are spot on with wave SUCKING with 550's only!  For reference I put 1350 per side in mine, plus 800 in the bow.  I use bags, and lead so NOTHING is exposed, and all seats are open!  Wave is really good. 

You will definitely not find a better new boat for <$100k.  Honestly i wouldnt sell my used '15 for that! That is crazy good! 

Wave should look like this when you are done.  These aren't the best pics but what I have on my phone.   

20160707_073543_zpsvgd6aerz.jpg

20160604_113004_007_zpsgojbptst.jpg

Edited by DarkSide
Just now, DarkSide said:

24MXZ can provide an excellent wave if you weight it.  The gen1 24MXZ was released same year as surfgate (2013) but it does not have the weight or the subfloor ballast a 25 does, thus difference in the wave.  There is over 1500 pounds difference!

You are spot on with wave SUCKING with 550's only!  For reference I put 1350 per side in mine, plus 800 in the bow.  I use bags, and lead so NOTHING is exposed, and all seats are open!  Wave is really good. 

You will definitely not find a better new boat for <$100k.  That is crazy good! 

Wave should look like this when you are done.  These aren't the best pics but what I have on my phone.   

20160707_073543_zpsvgd6aerz.jpg

20160604_113004_007_zpsgojbptst.jpg

How come nobody thinks you need to slam these boats , it's a must snd 22footers talk about their satisfaction with 750 or less including bags as small as 450 when using unequal rear locker bags , and nothing in the front pnp or small one bags in new locker shapes  (in a20 though restricted fill in front 2014 locker I go 950 and adding 2 150's in bow next year) and expect the wave to look like something in a "price point boat", buy a nauti and pay the price of needing to do almost nothing but find some ballast buddies 

Just now, IXFE said:

@DarkSide... I didn't know that Mark Cuban could wake surf, much less carve out such a nice bottom turn. 

One question... does he kick in for gas money??

Hahahahaha. That started my day out just perfectly. Needed a good laugh. 

I get it, the boat needs to be slammed to do better. @Darkside , that wave looks really great but after all the sub seat ballast, where do you store all your gear? That's one of the issues I am having with my 23LSV. With the ghetto gates and buoys, no real room to store that stuff while surfing (since we're filling rear locker ballast). I always just toss them up front in the bow. I know $100k for a brand new 2016 24MXZ is a good deal. Would I lose my a** if I bought it this year and swapped it out for a 2017 at the end of next year? This is it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@granddaddy55 it is amusing the dealer approach of 550 is all you need, doesn't matter if it's A20 or 24MXZ.  There is just a tiny bit of buoyancy difference between the 2.  

I am guessing the main reason they don't want more is then you need BOW weight.   Needing to throw a bow triangle in, takes away seating and is less aesthetically pleasing.  Add to this 95% just want to let go of the rope, and pull tubes.  550's meet this goal. 

I am seeing progress on this.   Notice ALL of the boats as they are being redesigned the ballast goes up, and the weight of the boat goes up.   

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TexasTexas95 said:

I get it, the boat needs to be slammed to do better. @Darkside , that wave looks really great but after all the sub seat ballast, where do you store all your gear? That's one of the issues I am having with my 23LSV. With the ghetto gates and buoys, no real room to store that stuff while surfing (since we're filling rear locker ballast). I always just toss them up front in the bow. I know $100k for a brand new 2016 24MXZ is a good deal. Would I lose my a** if I bought it this year and swapped it out for a 2017 at the end of next year? This is it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The one percenters(ah hum @darkside,  even though they talk about storage they really  eye it up as a spot they could hide more ballast, if you want storage , buy a nauti and find some ballast buddies .  1% as he calls it only really care about surfboard storage so hence the new biminis and surf forks for racks , as well as use of skims or hybrids that fit in wake/surf combo forks 

Edited by granddaddy55

@granddaddy55 ,That's twice you've mentioned me leaving Malibu to buy a Nautique. I could...Don't really want to... Im being realistic and trying my best to accommodate as many of my needs as possible and seeking reasons why I should do the deal or not do the deal. I put 650 hours on my boat in the last 5 months, how about you? Sometimes I ride with a full crew of "ballast buddies" and sometimes it's me and a friend. Those times where it's me and a friend, I don't mind tossing sacs out wherever. It's when the boat has 5 people on it and needs that lil extra to go from good to awesome and I debate having sacs out everywhere. The boat is a super pretty boat though, meets all my other needs except for that free air subwoofer is total trash. It makes a better boat anchor....

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, TexasTexas95 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@TexasTexas95. Very pretty MXZ!  My rear lockers are full,  I store jackets on top of my bags.   My coffin is mostly empty!  I store all boards on the tower (where they belong).  

@granddaddy55 what makes nautique so special.  Put 4 wakeboard AND 6 SURFERS in a NAUTIQUE and then let's compare storage!  ALL of my boards are easily accessible, as are the jackets because they rest on top of the bags.  The jackets aren't buried under boards, or vice versa, I don't need anyone to move to get into a compartment.   Also no cheating,  4" fins stay in the boards, and I don't want any of my soulcraft banged up so careful how you stack them.

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

My rear lockers are full,  I store jackets on top of my bags.   My coffin is mostly empty!  I store all boards on the tower (where they belong).  

@granddaddy55 what makes nautique so special.  Put 4 wakeboard AND 6 SURFERS in a NAUTIQUE and then let's compare storage!  ALL of my boards are easily accessible, as are the jackets because they rest on top of the bags.  The jackets aren't buried under boards, or vice versa, I don't need anyone to move to get into a compartment.   Also no cheating,  4" fins stay in the boards, also I don't want my soulcraft banged up so careful how you stack them.

I have a epoxy board, and I won't let him put it in the lockers so I get it.   It's ridiculous what he shoves in those rears, Nasty even cause never empties and I'm digging through it regularly for ropes , and I always wonder what it would be like to put bags , and plumb in  to a switch.  I know your slammed boats without people outperform the people empty G, all I know is that stupid wave I have surfed when it was people slammed , a zero flaws wake either side (with storage compartments and other spaces everywhere).

love my slammed axis wave but it has a flaw or two especially for backside when learning to shred, the backside wave has no flaws  in the G wave slammed or not. Yea I have to get a little closer when it's people empty and the falling back and recovering backside becomes more difficult but doable , again love my wake and my storage is a joke in my  small 20

@bamaboy I wonder what his informed opinion thinks?

Every time somebody complains about storage, I wonder to myself...

"What are these people bringing on board that they need all this storage?"

:dontknow:

My my lockers are stuffed with sacks and my bow has a triangle in it... And yet my coffin is usually empty. Plenty or room guys... Leave the backpacks at home. You don't need all that ish. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, IXFE said:

@DarkSide... I didn't know that Mark Cuban could wake surf, much less carve out such a nice bottom turn. 

One question... does he kick in for gas money??

Ahahhahahaaa

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Every time somebody complains about storage, I wonder to myself...

"What are these people bringing on board that they need all this storage?"

:dontknow:

My my lockers are stuffed with sacks and my bow has a triangle in it... And yet my coffin is usually empty. Plenty or room guys... Leave the backpacks at home. You don't need all that ish. 

Your purse can go behind the drivers seat.

@IXFE I hear you amigo. My boat has to have 18 (or whatever the capacity of my next boat will be) life vests in it for one, and I don't mess around when it comes to Bouys. 4 big ones. That in itself takes up a fair amount of storage space I would love to have wide open for sacs under seats plus the fact that my crew size varies from 2 pax to max capacity at any given time. Girls love to bring too much stuff on board and I've gotten really good about organizing the limited space I have. I have already gotten a 65qt Yeti on board that doubles as "wake view seating" and finally adequate drink and snack storage to make up for the tiny aux cooler in my present LSV. Most people don't care to do much more than to simply ride any surf wave but being that it's also my personal boat, it is important that I have a legit surf wave too. More and more I'm thinking I may be forced to look into other brands or the 25LSV more seriously if I want a cake and then eat that cake too. I thought potentially buying a new boat would be fun but it sure is a bit stressful. 

1 hour ago, TexasTexas95 said:

My boat has to have 18  life vests in it for one.... That in itself takes up a fair amount of storage space I would love to have wide open for sacs under seats plus the fact that my crew size varies from 2 pax to max capacity at any given time.

I don't really get this. You only need a life vest for the people on board. When you have 18, are all 18 really adults? Meaning, when I get to about 15, generally 6 are kids and are already wearing vests. I only carry 9 vests in storage (these aren't the vests we use, just what we need to comply), plus the vests for the riders aboard.  

If you only have 2 people aboard, leave the extra vests at home and fill up some sacs! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I totally get it.  I trailer though.  So I keep jackets on board.  Most never get worn, but you have to have them.   I generally keep my jackets in the coffin, except the ones that will be used that day, the ready access jackets go on top of the bags.

• Like 1

Haha. I know it's hard to believe but I'm the same way. Nobody actually uses or needs 18 jackets but the SS Titanic ruined that back before Nam. It's why we can't have nice things....

Anyway, I typically offload jackets in my 23LSV as needed if I have time, my whole point in upgrading is to make life easier though and not harder...

Is someone going to talk me out of an RZX? I'm fixin to demo one. Big enough, same motor, functional storage, Wetsounds everywhere, huge surf wave, decent wakeboard wake, doesn't drive like a turd G, there's some definant appeal to them...