Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dual vs Single exhausts

blytle473

Hello,

I was recently at my local Malibu dealership and was recently looking at a 2017 23LSV and noticed underneath the platform that there was only a single exhaust pipe but no surf pipe. Why is that? I know on all preceding models, 2016 and older, that there were dual exhaust pipes. I have noticed around my lake companies like Moomba and Supra changing over to the single exhaust pipe rather than the older dual exhaust. I miss the sound that you used to get when accelerating and going at cruising speed of that V8 sound. These boat with single exhaust sound like a Prius that is modified for the lake. Just wondering what the purpose if for.

Thanks!

No, in 2016 they went to single exhaust when they (Malibu and Indmar) switched to Ford based engines.   It's a different kind of sound, but still a V8 under there (based on the "Raptor" Ford 6.2L engine).   Moomba and Supra are also using Ford based blocks now, at least in most of the lineup (I can't say for sure if there are still GM offerings in their lineup or not).  

Edited by hethj7

I would much rather have the new GM DI offerings.  PCM is still doing GM and so is Illmor. Indmar is the only one that switched in the inboard world.  I am sure Ford greased some palms...

• Like 2

Not sure what you're hearing on your lake but the Ford 6.2 sounds very much like a V-8. Not even a question. I think it's too loud in my opinion. 

The classic V8 sound, of left and right banks firing unevenly, can be heard with dual exhaust, like on a direct drive boat.  On my v-drive, with one muffler, 2 inlets, 2 outlets, the uneven cylinder firing gets mumbled.

I think Tige has been running single exhaust for a while now too.  FEA was a big topic when they first came out to make sure it was stable.

I'm not in the market for a new boat, and won't be for a while....but now that Malibu converted to Ford motors, do they back up to the port side (incorrect side)?

Is the single exhaust an issue with the Nautique crowd?  Some of the stuff I read here just boggles the mind.  Any Harley fans here?  Do the biggest bikes sound unlike Harleys because the exhaust is routed differently?

I'd trade my pushrod in line valve engine for an OHC, pent roof chamber, dual plug one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  It really is a superior design, from an engineering perspective (though I would prefer DI to port).  If I could get a 4V, it'd be even better.  Hmm...Nissan Titan engine, maybe bored and stroked?  Granted, I am an engine geek, so I think differently than many.

I'm pretty sure the engines rotate the same way (clockwise from front).  I'd expect the transmission to dictate prop rotation direction. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Bu still backs to the left but not nearly as pronounced as previous years, IMO.  

Really? I know mine and everyone I've been in pull to the right, maybe it's cause I'm in a different hemisphere...

• Like 3

pcm (gm blocks) have been single exhaust for quite some time.  15 and up axis boats are all single exhaust. Have owned boats with dual, have owned boats with single.  No difference observed relating to number of exhaust outlets (though I sure do like the way PCM runs the muffler / collector at the "back" of the engine vs. indmar's setup at the front). 

1 hour ago, 67King said:

I'd trade my pushrod in line valve engine for an OHC, pent roof chamber, dual plug one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  It really is a superior design, from an engineering perspective (though I would prefer DI to port).  If I could get a 4V, it'd be even better.  Hmm...Nissan Titan engine, maybe bored and stroked?  Granted, I am an engine geek, so I think differently than many.

You would trade your pushrod?  How about a real world reason?

- Ford V8's aren't making the power of the GM V8's.  Where is Ford's 650HP production V8's?   
- Pushrod motors are lighter with better packaging
- Fuel economy isn't better with the Ford motors

May have a better rev range.  Where is the advantage beyond that?

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

You would trade your pushrod?  How about a real world reason?

- Ford V8's aren't making the power of the GM V8's.  Where is Ford's 650HP production V8's?   
- Pushrod motors are lighter with better packaging
- Fuel economy isn't better with the Ford motors

May have a better rev range.  Where is the advantage beyond that?

More inherent ballast due to weight :)

I have the 6.2 410 in my 2016.  I'm actually starting to like it.  It's got a heckuva lot of power IMO and if I'm not mistaken it actually does have a flatter, higher torque curve than the GMs.  Sounds mean AH at start up too.  Definitely a tad louder, but that's OK.  Stereo works just fine to drown out.

ahopkins22LSV

I trailer a lot so I think the single exhaust looks weird. I actually get a lot of compliments on our ste tips. But that's just a weird personal quirk.

Now that said, fae or the factory surf pipe looks WAY better from a single exhaust. 

Just now, Ifinallygota21v said:

honestly who cares how it sounds? if you want to make a lot of noise buy a go fast boat.  as for power, my 2016 has more power and pulling than my 2012 

Sound is everything. I still vividly recall the shudder I felt as a young boy the first time I heard an inboard burbling at a Marina on the Fox River. As an " old man" I have grown to appreciate muffled engine exhaust at speed, but I still smile everytime I hear an inboard idling or taking off.

3 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I have the 6.2 410 in my 2016.  I'm actually starting to like it.  It's got a heckuva lot of power IMO and if I'm not mistaken it actually does have a flatter, higher torque curve than the GMs. 

It has a pent roof chamber, aka hemispherical......hence the "Hemi" moniker used by Dodge.  It has dual plugs.  Those make combustion more efficient which gives better fuel economy and.....as you said, better torque!  The canted valves also yield better airflow.

Anyone can slap on a blower and make more power.  As for NA, GM has historically tuned their engines to make a higher HP number since it sells, but Ford has historically tuned for more torque for a more useful powerband.

3 hours ago, 67King said:

It has a pent roof chamber, aka hemispherical......hence the "Hemi" moniker used by Dodge.  It has dual plugs.  Those make combustion more efficient which gives better fuel economy and.....as you said, better torque!  The canted valves also yield better airflow.

Anyone can slap on a blower and make more power.  As for NA, GM has historically tuned their engines to make a higher HP number since it sells, but Ford has historically tuned for more torque for a more useful powerband.

Anyone can slap on a blower and make more power.  Sure...and GM's are making more power on their V8's.  

As for useful power band, OHV motors are known for having low end power.  Take a look at some real world stock chassis dyno numbers.  The Fords don't fair as well as the GM's typically.

7 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I have the 6.2 410 in my 2016.  I'm actually starting to like it.  It's got a heckuva lot of power IMO and if I'm not mistaken it actually does have a flatter, higher torque curve than the GMs.  Sounds mean AH at start up too.  Definitely a tad louder, but that's OK.  Stereo works just fine to drown out.

Are you doing an apples-to-apples comparison (IE, are you comparing your 6.2L to a same tranny ratio, same same prop and at least the 6.0L GM motor)?  

12 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Are you doing an apples-to-apples comparison (IE, are you comparing your 6.2L to a same tranny ratio, same same prop and at least the 6.0L GM motor)?  

No, not really, honestly, but it's been more than fine.

23 hours ago, 67King said:

Is the single exhaust an issue with the Nautique crowd?  Some of the stuff I read here just boggles the mind.  Any Harley fans here?  Do the biggest bikes sound unlike Harleys because the exhaust is routed differently?

I'm pretty sure the engines rotate the same way (clockwise from front).  I'd expect the transmission to dictate prop rotation direction. 

Love everything about my Denali except the engine (5.3L).  There was some stuff I didn't love about my Titan but the engine was NOT one of them.  Would love that engine in a boat.