Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover conundrum?

I just purchased a 2004 23LSV and it's in cherry condition.  It's been either inside or on a lift it's whole life.  I don't have that luxury, though -- my boat needs to live (and survive) outside during the season and then it's stored indoors over the winter.  I had planned on ordering an Evolution Cover based on the reviews/feedback/endorsement on this site but Cory is telling me that my best case scenario if I order today would be November.  It's cold/rainy here in the upper mid-west during Sept/Oct and I rarely put the boat away until the first week of November. 

I do have the factory cover and it's in pretty decent shape.  No rips or tears but it also needs some maintenance.  The velcro around the tower legs is very tired/doesn't stick any more.  I'm missing at least one of the poles (as well as the snap that attaches it to the cover.)  It's also missing a couple of the nylon straps that attach to the trailer.  I think a local canvas shop could probably sort of all of this out for a couple of hundred bucks.

Do I try to find someone local to repair and sort out my current cover issues or is it throwing money away when I should just pony up and order the evo?  The boat may get a little beat up/dirty for the remainder of this year but I'll be ready with the evo in the spring.  What would you do?

See if u can get a break on indoor storage until winter comes? and supplement with the factory cover.

get a couple spring clamps from amazon to clamp the velcro points

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/hi/553166/ref=sr_bs_3_553166_1

you can use rope around the bow and to the transom hooks to keep the cover from sagging. (but im in california and it doesn't really rain like it does in Wi)

or cut some 1/2 pvc and rig up an arched support system , cheap but a little time consuming

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat+cover+support+rope&espv=2&biw=1455&bih=705&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiustaU0f3OAhVY92MKHcR7D1IQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=boat+cover+support+pvc

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 1

Get inline for Cory, then youtube how to sew and bandaid your cover until November.  Those transom straps didn't do much on my OEM cover but proper poles and spacing (atleast 2 behind the windshield) and the perimeter strap pulled tight should get you by.  You also should be able to get by with 1 pole where the table mounts, tow ball up, and a nylon strap sewn into the cover with a bungee to hang it from the tower tow ball.  Everyone should have to monkey around with the factory for a few months in order to qualify and appreciate an evolution cover :biggrin:

Pony up, I should have. I'm currently rocking a frankencover.... had many large rips in the cover but didn't want to spend the $$ on evolution at the moment so I bought a grill cover, cut to size, hand sewed the rips, then used spray adhesive to attach the grill cover pieces in place.. works like a charm :}

I use this under the lift canopy seasonally to keep leaves and pollen out of the boat.  It goes over the lowered Illusion tower, and on my 21.5 even covers the swim platform.  It is not for trailering or winter - not sturdy enough - but it may be good for your short term needs. And it's cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016L45TXG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

23 minutes ago, itznowonder said:

Pony up, I should have. I'm currently rocking a frankencover.... had many large rips in the cover but didn't want to spend the $$ on evolution at the moment so I bought a grill cover, cut to size, hand sewed the rips, then used spray adhesive to attach the grill cover pieces in place.. works like a charm :}

That does sound very franken!!!

OP - Pony up for the cover.  Stuff some rags around the tower gaps.  Cut some 1" PVC poles and put the end caps on them.  Tie that perimeter strap tight.  That new cover will be here before you know it.

So I went home over lunch to better assess the situation -- without 3" of rain last night (like I had pooling on top of the cover on Sunday and Monday nights) she was looking much better and had dried out nicely.  I probably panic'd a little on thinking the factory cover needed immediate replacement.  I think it really, really just needs some adjusting and familiarization with it.   I've got some poles and vents coming from Amazon and will spray it down with 303 for some new waterproofing.  I would never tow with it so it should work for now.  When I'm sick of it (or it fails or starts letting water in) I'll replace it with the evo. Thanks for all the advice!

Around the tower u can use plastic shipping wrap to keep water out. ( I tow w it as well if raining on long trips to Norris lake)   I made mods to my factory cover w straps, snaps ect... and she holds up great even w towing.  I used the 303 rain guard stuff, ha worked great. 

Connecting the vent to the tower via strap system is excellent as well, beats the post under it and rain sheens right off.  Many good ideas ya got here till ya get the Evo cover.

21 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I just purchased a 2004 23LSV and it's in cherry condition.  It's been either inside or on a lift it's whole life.  I don't have that luxury, though -- my boat needs to live (and survive) outside during the season and then it's stored indoors over the winter.  I had planned on ordering an Evolution Cover based on the reviews/feedback/endorsement on this site but Cory is telling me that my best case scenario if I order today would be November.  It's cold/rainy here in the upper mid-west during Sept/Oct and I rarely put the boat away until the first week of November. 

I do have the factory cover and it's in pretty decent shape.  No rips or tears but it also needs some maintenance.  The velcro around the tower legs is very tired/doesn't stick any more.  I'm missing at least one of the poles (as well as the snap that attaches it to the cover.)  It's also missing a couple of the nylon straps that attach to the trailer.  I think a local canvas shop could probably sort of all of this out for a couple of hundred bucks.

Do I try to find someone local to repair and sort out my current cover issues or is it throwing money away when I should just pony up and order the evo?  The boat may get a little beat up/dirty for the remainder of this year but I'll be ready with the evo in the spring.  What would you do?

good substitution for the poles is to make your own stand.  I got sick of poles years ago always falling over when putting the cover on.  Pretty simple to make your own stands to support the cover.  Cut a 2x4 to the length it needs to be for proper support.  Cut a circular piece of plywood(maybe 8" in diameter) for the top of it which the cover will rest on. Cut another square piece of plywood as a base that will balance the stand.  Screw the circular piece of plywood to the top and the square piece to the bottom and there you have a "pole".  I've had mine for years and never an issue.  Actually find that it spreads the stress and you don't get weak points around where the pole should be in the cover.  

I'd also recommend getting a gallon of 303 waterproofing and spraying your cover with a pump sprayer.  Do several applications.  Lay the cover in the driveway to do it.  

As for the Velcro around the tower legs, go with the spring clamps unless you can get new Velcro sewn in. 

• Like 1

My cover solution for many years now is to get a cover made for a center console boat a couple of feet longer than mine.  It gets installed over the tower.  Advantages are that it sheds water very well, no pooling.  It protects the tower/speakers/racks.  You have access to the boat even with the cover on.  Of course you can't tow with it.

16 hours ago, HPetit said:

Install your own vents, then drill a hole and install eye bolts thru the vent. Hang cover from tower. Also helps to decrease moisture buildup in boat  

https://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-for-Boat-Cover/dp/B00HXITKP8

Did this and it worked like a champ. I have a pole and a cinch string to hold the cover up. Using the OEM cover and it's worked well for a few years now. Did have a local shop mod the cover so water doesn't come in around the tower base.

If you get an Evolution cover I recommend going with a light color. I've seen and heard of quite a few boats experiencing issues with upholstery stains (pink-ish) from black covered boats. 

IMG_20140624_055415.jpg

Edited by jgates237
16 hours ago, HPetit said:

Install your own vents, then drill a hole and install eye bolts thru the vent. Hang cover from tower. Also helps to decrease moisture buildup in boat  

https://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-for-Boat-Cover/dp/B00HXITKP8

This is actually a great idea -- getting rid of the poles would be a bonus!  I'm going to play with this idea for now and the next step will be an Evo cover when/if I need it.