Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Ignition off"

2 weekends ago, when I was geting pulled up wakeboarding, (read wedge down ballast full) the boat hesitated, and then bogged down, (Like it wasn't getting fuel.) then the check engine light popped on. The driver took a quick scan of the gauges, nothing unusual, turned off the boat, checked fluid levels. (fluid levels were all peachy.) Cranked the motor, didn't fire at first, but after sitting for a few miniutes it finally turned over again. From there I tried and tried and tried to get it to repeat that symptom, but couldn't get it to do that again so I just left it be. Knowing that the dealership probably wouldn't be able to diagnose such an intermitent problmem. Ran fine the rest of the weekend, with no hiccups, no check engine light.

Today: Boat randomly died (middle information LCD said "ignition off") on me when I was cruising at 3k rpm's no balast, no wedge. Ignition just straight cut out. Luckily it fired right back up, I figured it was probably doing it's odd intermittent problem so I went back on my way cruising. (Although this time I didn't get any kind of check engine light. Maybe the two stories aren't related.) But then about 10 miniutes later doing the same thing it again cut throttle and "ignition off" ed me. But this time it didn't want to restart for about 5 mins. I didn't want to risk getting stuck in the middle of the lake so I took the boat back to the dock.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems to me like it's having ECU issues, expecially considering the way it seems to be cutting fuel... I'm very mechanically inclined, so I'd prefer not to have to tow it 3 hours to a dealership. (even then it's not the dealership we baught it from so it'd probably not get fixed or it would at the very least get put to the end of the line servicewise...) I'll be calling my dealership tommorrow to pick the technicians brain, but, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem...

Boat is an 06 WSVLX with the 340 monsoon, with ~45.5 hours.

-Richard

Edited by DRAGON88

Richard......

This could be something more significant but for what it's worth my boat was doing pretty much the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I can't remember the exact messages I was getting but the engine would intermittently just die when pulling up a wakeboarder and once in a while when just cruising around. For me it turned out to be the stupid lanyard safety switch that we have to have but no one uses (except me of course if the coast guard is reading this Innocent.gif ) Mine apparently does not make good contact. I ended up wedging a dime in between the lanyard and the little button on the switch so that it fits tighter and have not had a single such incident since.

Might want to at least check that. My service guy says that those things fail every now and then and that they will replace it at next service.

Tim

2 weekends ago, when I was geting pulled up wakeboarding, (read wedge down ballast full) the boat hesitated, and then bogged down, (Like it wasn't getting fuel.) then the check engine light popped on. The driver took a quick scan of the gauges, nothing unusual, turned off the boat, checked fluid levels. (fluid levels were all peachy.) Cranked the motor, didn't fire at first, but after sitting for a few miniutes it finally turned over again. From there I tried and tried and tried to get it to repeat that symptom, but couldn't get it to do that again so I just left it be. Knowing that the dealership probably wouldn't be able to diagnose such an intermitent problmem. Ran fine the rest of the weekend, with no hiccups, no check engine light.

Today: Boat randomly died (middle information LCD said "ignition off") on me when I was cruising at 3k rpm's no balast, no wedge. Ignition just straight cut out. Luckily it fired right back up, I figured it was probably doing it's odd intermittent problem so I went back on my way cruising. (Although this time I didn't get any kind of check engine light. Maybe the two stories aren't related.) But then about 10 miniutes later doing the same thing it again cut throttle and "ignition off" ed me. But this time it didn't want to restart for about 5 mins. I didn't want to risk getting stuck in the middle of the lake so I took the boat back to the dock.

Anyone have any ideas? It seems to me like it's having ECU issues, expecially considering the way it seems to be cutting fuel... I'm very mechanically inclined, so I'd prefer not to have to tow it 3 hours to a dealership. (even then it's not the dealership we baught it from so it'd probably not get fixed or it would at the very least get put to the end of the line servicewise...) I'll be calling my dealership tommorrow to pick the technicians brain, but, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this problem...

Boat is an 06 WSVLX with the 340 monsoon, with ~45.5 hours.

-Richard

Interesting idea about the lanyard, I thought "could be" on that one.

I hope you're right. Maybe I'll just do what I did on the sport nautique (when it's lanyard broke) and just hardwire that stupid switch...

The spring on the safety switch is pretty darn strong, often stronger than the plastic clip on the lanyard itself.

I've heard that some folks simply move the wires to the normally open connections on the back of the switch, and then remove the lanyard. The spring holds the switch open much better than the lanyard holds it closed.

...just something I've heard.

Peter. :)

**cough** fly-by-wire

**cough**cough** software update.

Pete, you really need to get that cough looked after. It's been hanging on for a week now.

Call me if you need a good doctor.

**cough** fly-by-wire

**cough**cough** software update.

When did they start utilizing the FBY firmware update? My boat did come from a dealership show room where it was stacked ontop of another boat. They were hesitant to get it off of that lift for us, so I'm guessing it may have been sitting for awhile before we picked it up...

If it is a firmware issue, would they re-program the ECU? Could I just remove my ECU and mail it to the dealership to have it updated or swapped out with the new firmware?

Or are you saying that the FBY needs a firmware update period and this is an issue that Malibu has not yet addressed?

4th'ed.

Flipped the wires around like SmoothWaterMan said and it worked. It seems to be working fine now...

Thank everyone for all your help. Without you guys I'd still be scratching my head trying to figure this one out...

Cheers-

Richard

mine had done that in the past but I used a penny. the switch was replaced last year as one of the techs said they had switched many of these out because they were not working as well as they should.