Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding GPS Navigation

Driver

Try it first. I had one that didn't like a Malibu update and it didn't work any longer after I updated the card. No way to get your money back. They update the maps regulary but it's mostly small adjustments. You will probably not need the updates.

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

So I have installed the antenna. Screwed in the connector and stuck the antenna puck to the steel structural mount that is in the front port side of the compartment under the helm (left side of pic). The pic is taken from the bow area of boat looking into this compartment after removing the plastic storage box. Used zip ties to make sure it or the wires don't move or fall off or get chaffed.

Do  need to do the computer update to SD card or will it work as is? Says readyimage.thumb.png.13ea27f6353674109dfb0f2111e61882.png to use right on the front of the box but inside says to update?image.thumb.png.99d99be09e55a6c0be30f54a73657c72.png

image.png

I just plugged it in without updating because I heard some folks had problems after an update. Worked fine. The first time you start it up don’t be surprised that it takes awhile to initialize things. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 10:27 AM, Skymedic said:

Thanks!!! Love this forum. I’ll send him a message. 

Skymedic - Did you ever have any luck on your 2013?  I just bought a 2013 247 LSV and would like to come up with some type of nav solution.  My lake has some pretty significant stump fields and I want to try to create some "safe zones" via navigation to avoid getting into trouble.

Any suggestions on mods or true aftermarket "bolt ons" would be appreciated.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, amartin said:

Skymedic - Did you ever have any luck on your 2013?  I just bought a 2013 247 LSV and would like to come up with some type of nav solution.  My lake has some pretty significant stump fields and I want to try to create some "safe zones" via navigation to avoid getting into trouble.

Any suggestions on mods or true aftermarket "bolt ons" would be appreciated.

I decided not to do it. When added and using , the map is all that will appear on the screen. Not allowing you to view any boat vitals or other info. This can be rectified by having the maps displayed on a connected iPad. Good luck 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the Medallion have the ability to mark water hazards on the map? I am mainly on the Colorado river and it would be immensely valuable to have the maps setup to where i could mark specific locations I know where there are hazards for other people driving the boat..

38 minutes ago, dielawn said:

Does the Medallion have the ability to mark water hazards on the map? I am mainly on the Colorado river and it would be immensely valuable to have the maps setup to where i could mark specific locations I know where there are hazards for other people driving the boat..

Yes it can, it has a bunch of different icons to choose from when marking way points. 

• 1 year later...

I’ll add my take here. Bought the gps pick from amazon, attached it to the back of the screen. Threw it behind the subwoofer to mount later. Bought a $100 eBay navionics + and dared not to register it. Plugged the card into the unit and all maps are on there. The detail is low, no lines as expected, so not nearly as good as the app, which I’ll also likely use as well. But it seems to get the job done. I’ll update this on the water when I get the chance.  For $130 to have gps on a map when needed it may be worth it. TBD. A better Nav screen with better detail would make it better. Probably on newer boats. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of detail on the maps. Do the updates help? I am debating trying the update but don't want to blacklist my card...

Edited by Raleigh
On 6/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, Raleigh said:

I’ll add my take here. Bought the gps pick from amazon, attached it to the back of the screen. Threw it behind the subwoofer to mount later. Bought a $100 eBay navionics + and dared not to register it. Plugged the card into the unit and all maps are on there. The detail is low, no lines as expected, so not nearly as good as the app, which I’ll also likely use as well. But it seems to get the job done. I’ll update this on the water when I get the chance.  For $130 to have gps on a map when needed it may be worth it. TBD. A better Nav screen with better detail would make it better. Probably on newer boats. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of detail on the maps. Do the updates help? I am debating trying the update but don't want to blacklist my card...

I'm not sure they do.  I have 10+ year old navionics card.  It does show lines on two different generation humminbird graphs(597 & Onix 8) and a 10 year old handheld Lowrance H2Oc unit.  I plugged the chip into my '13 Medallion, no lines.  There are numbers at different points.  I know that's a different unit than your '16 but sounded similar.  

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.  Unfortunately in the '13s with Nav they need the factory gps antenna not the $10 Amazon part. I'll use other cheaper options like phone apps, handheld unit, or portable fishfinder that i already own. 

Edited by MNNewb